To keep a Canon lens or not

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shawn Hirn, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. Shawn Hirn

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Hi all;

    I am about to order a Canon Digital Rebel XSi to replace my 6MP first
    generation Digital Rebel, but a question occurred to me and I honestly
    don't know how to answer it.

    I own a very nice Canon lens. It is a Canon f2.8 24-70mm UL lens, for
    which I paid something like $1,100 a year ago. That lens is great, but
    it weighs a ton.

    The Canon XSi has an f3.518-35mm kit lens with image stabilization. I am
    wondering if I would be better served by selling my 24-70mm Canon lens
    and getting the kit lens with the XSi, or perhaps keep both lenses. The
    strength of my 24-70mm lens is it has great optics, and its fast.  I
    also own a Canon f5.4 70-300mm lens, which I intend to keep.

    I like my 24-70mm lens, but it weighs too much to carry it around all
    day, and it is very bulky, but I am not sure if that kit lens would be
    as good, in terms of its optical quality, or do yo think most people
    won't notice the difference anyway? With the IS capability of the XSI's
    kit lens, it seems to me, that the major benefit of the f2.8 aperture of
    my 24-70mm lens is no longer a big advantage, or am I wrong about that?

    I like to shoot photos of night scenes, so low light photography is
    important to me. I am an amateur photographer with a limited budget, so
    I am thinking I might be better off selling the 24-70mm lens to offset
    the cost of buying the XSi.

    What do you think I should do?

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 30, 2008

  2. Shawn Hirn

    DaveS Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote:
    > snip <
    > I own a very nice Canon lens. It is a Canon f2.8 24-70mm UL lens, for
    > which I paid something like $1,100 a year ago. That lens is great, but
    > it weighs a ton.
    >
    > The Canon XSi has an f3.518-35mm kit lens with image stabilization. I am
    > wondering if I would be better served by selling my 24-70mm Canon lens
    > and getting the kit lens with the XSi, or perhaps keep both lenses. The
    > strength of my 24-70mm lens is it has great optics, and its fast. I
    > also own a Canon f5.4 70-300mm lens, which I intend to keep.
    >
    > I like my 24-70mm lens, but it weighs too much to carry it around all
    > day, and it is very bulky, but I am not sure if that kit lens would be
    > as good, in terms of its optical quality, or do yo think most people
    > won't notice the difference anyway? With the IS capability of the XSI's
    > kit lens, it seems to me, that the major benefit of the f2.8 aperture of
    > my 24-70mm lens is no longer a big advantage, or am I wrong about that?
    >
    > I like to shoot photos of night scenes, so low light photography is
    > important to me. I am an amateur photographer with a limited budget, so
    > I am thinking I might be better off selling the 24-70mm lens to offset
    > the cost of buying the XSi.
    >
    > What do you think I should do?

    I would keep the good lens. It will help you build the biceps! :O)

    Seriously, I work under tight budget constraints also. If you already have
    the lens, and it's good glass, and it serves you well, there's no point in
    getting rid of it. You'll miss it when it's gone.

    An 18-35 isn't going to cover the same range as a 24-70. For a while I was
    missing the 55-100mm range when I bought my 20D. I found out I take a lot
    of photos in that range. I finally bought a Tamron 18-200 to fill in the
    gap. I have a 70-300 also, but it actaully starts at about 112mm.

    If you want the IS kit lens, then get the kit, but I don't think I would get
    rid of the good glass. I would love to get better glass than the Sigma
    70-300 gives me, but it won't happen right now.

    If you already have the good glass keep it, because odds of scraping the
    money together later, may not be so high.

    And don't let your wife tease you about carrying the "manpurse" around
    everywhere. :O)

    Have fun,
    Dave

    DaveS, Mar 30, 2008

  3. Shawn Hirn

    Dave Cohen Guest

    DaveS wrote:
    > "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote:
    >> snip <
    >> I own a very nice Canon lens. It is a Canon f2.8 24-70mm UL lens, for
    >> which I paid something like $1,100 a year ago. That lens is great, but
    >> it weighs a ton.
    >>
    >> The Canon XSi has an f3.518-35mm kit lens with image stabilization. I am
    >> wondering if I would be better served by selling my 24-70mm Canon lens
    >> and getting the kit lens with the XSi, or perhaps keep both lenses. The
    >> strength of my 24-70mm lens is it has great optics, and its fast. I
    >> also own a Canon f5.4 70-300mm lens, which I intend to keep.
    >>
    >> I like my 24-70mm lens, but it weighs too much to carry it around all
    >> day, and it is very bulky, but I am not sure if that kit lens would be
    >> as good, in terms of its optical quality, or do yo think most people
    >> won't notice the difference anyway? With the IS capability of the XSI's
    >> kit lens, it seems to me, that the major benefit of the f2.8 aperture of
    >> my 24-70mm lens is no longer a big advantage, or am I wrong about that?
    >>
    >> I like to shoot photos of night scenes, so low light photography is
    >> important to me. I am an amateur photographer with a limited budget, so
    >> I am thinking I might be better off selling the 24-70mm lens to offset
    >> the cost of buying the XSi.
    >>
    >> What do you think I should do?

    > I would keep the good lens. It will help you build the biceps! :O)
    >
    > Seriously, I work under tight budget constraints also. If you already
    > have the lens, and it's good glass, and it serves you well, there's no
    > point in getting rid of it. You'll miss it when it's gone.
    >
    > An 18-35 isn't going to cover the same range as a 24-70. For a while I
    > was missing the 55-100mm range when I bought my 20D. I found out I take
    > a lot of photos in that range. I finally bought a Tamron 18-200 to fill
    > in the gap. I have a 70-300 also, but it actaully starts at about 112mm.
    >
    > If you want the IS kit lens, then get the kit, but I don't think I would
    > get rid of the good glass. I would love to get better glass than the
    > Sigma 70-300 gives me, but it won't happen right now.
    >
    > If you already have the good glass keep it, because odds of scraping the
    > money together later, may not be so high.
    >
    > And don't let your wife tease you about carrying the "manpurse" around
    > everywhere. :O)
    >
    > Have fun,
    > Dave

    Why not keep both lenses for now, you can always sell one later.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Shawn Hirn

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <aPXHj.2418$lV1.615@trndny06>, Dave Cohen <>
    wrote:

    > DaveS wrote:
    > > "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote:
    > >> snip <
    > >> I own a very nice Canon lens. It is a Canon f2.8 24-70mm UL lens, for
    > >> which I paid something like $1,100 a year ago. That lens is great, but
    > >> it weighs a ton.
    > >>
    > >> The Canon XSi has an f3.518-35mm kit lens with image stabilization. I am
    > >> wondering if I would be better served by selling my 24-70mm Canon lens
    > >> and getting the kit lens with the XSi, or perhaps keep both lenses. The
    > >> strength of my 24-70mm lens is it has great optics, and its fast. I
    > >> also own a Canon f5.4 70-300mm lens, which I intend to keep.
    > >>
    > >> I like my 24-70mm lens, but it weighs too much to carry it around all
    > >> day, and it is very bulky, but I am not sure if that kit lens would be
    > >> as good, in terms of its optical quality, or do yo think most people
    > >> won't notice the difference anyway? With the IS capability of the XSI's
    > >> kit lens, it seems to me, that the major benefit of the f2.8 aperture of
    > >> my 24-70mm lens is no longer a big advantage, or am I wrong about that?
    > >>
    > >> I like to shoot photos of night scenes, so low light photography is
    > >> important to me. I am an amateur photographer with a limited budget, so
    > >> I am thinking I might be better off selling the 24-70mm lens to offset
    > >> the cost of buying the XSi.
    > >>
    > >> What do you think I should do?

    > > I would keep the good lens. It will help you build the biceps! :O)
    > >
    > > Seriously, I work under tight budget constraints also. If you already
    > > have the lens, and it's good glass, and it serves you well, there's no
    > > point in getting rid of it. You'll miss it when it's gone.
    > >
    > > An 18-35 isn't going to cover the same range as a 24-70. For a while I
    > > was missing the 55-100mm range when I bought my 20D. I found out I take
    > > a lot of photos in that range. I finally bought a Tamron 18-200 to fill
    > > in the gap. I have a 70-300 also, but it actaully starts at about 112mm.
    > >
    > > If you want the IS kit lens, then get the kit, but I don't think I would
    > > get rid of the good glass. I would love to get better glass than the
    > > Sigma 70-300 gives me, but it won't happen right now.
    > >
    > > If you already have the good glass keep it, because odds of scraping the
    > > money together later, may not be so high.
    > >
    > > And don't let your wife tease you about carrying the "manpurse" around
    > > everywhere. :O)
    > >
    > > Have fun,
    > > Dave

    > Why not keep both lenses for now, you can always sell one later.
    > Dave Cohen

    Yeh, I think that's what I am going to do.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 31, 2008