    Ideas?
    Be ya best friend... honest :)
    TIA

    Shane, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Shane

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:48 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Im in need of a method to change the information displayed in part of a
    > webpage, depending on certain events. I thought frames would be the way
    > this was done, but didnt like the thought of frames in my pages, asked
    > around and was told xml-http-request might be what I'm looking for.

    Seeing you mentioned xml-http-request, I assume you need to get data from
    or send data to the server without page reloads?

    > However, there is a _strong_ posssibilty that some or all of my pages will
    > be viewed with a text browser, and that lynx wont handle Javascript.
    > Ideas?

    Without Javascript (or some sort of plugin eg Java or Flash), the only way
    of updating anything would be with page reloads and server side code.

    > Be ya best friend... honest :)

    Apparently some 'ajax' libraries will degrade gracefully to page loads if
    the client does not support xml-http-request. But don't quote me on that :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 30, 2005

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:27:24 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:48 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Im in need of a method to change the information displayed in part of a
    >> webpage, depending on certain events. I thought frames would be the way
    >> this was done, but didnt like the thought of frames in my pages, asked
    >> around and was told xml-http-request might be what I'm looking for.

    > Seeing you mentioned xml-http-request, I assume you need to get data from
    > or send data to the server without page reloads?

    At times there is need to send data to the server, Id prefer not to reload
    the whole page, but at this point I dont think there is much choice

    >> However, there is a _strong_ posssibilty that some or

    all of my pages
    >> will be viewed with a text browser, and that lynx wont handle
    >> Javascript. Ideas?

    > Without Javascript (or some sort of plugin eg Java or Flash), the only
    > way of updating anything would be with page reloads and server side
    > code.

    What serverside code would be required?.. Ive managed to get my scripts
    down to 6 seconds, from >25 seconds, so Im not in a hurry to put much load
    back on the server if I can help it

    >> Be ya best friend... honest :)

    > Apparently some 'ajax' libraries will degrade gracefully to page loads
    > if the client does not support xml-http-request. But don't quote me on
    > that
    > :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX
    hmm
    I _might_ have to stay with the JScript, and look at an alternative for
    Browsers that dont/wont support it

    Shane, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Shane

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:57:42 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > What serverside code would be required?.. Ive managed to get my scripts
    > down to 6 seconds, from >25 seconds, so Im not in a hurry to put much load
    > back on the server if I can help it

    I dunno, depends on what you want to do. But I imagine that it's the same
    code you already have, it's just that you end up calling it more often
    with different parameters.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 30, 2005
  5. Shane

    Ron McNulty Guest

    I came across a site once that had information on using CSS to update parts
    of a progress popup window during a long-running operation. Unfortunately I
    can't find it now. It used the absolute positioning capabilities of CSS to
    update specific parts of the window. Sounds like the same technique could be
    harnessed to do what you are want.

    I'm not a CSS expert, but someone else might be able to expand on this.

    Otherwise I think JS is your only option.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 30, 2005
  6. T'was the Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:39:53 +1200 when I remembered "Ron
    McNulty" <> saying something like this:

    >I came across a site once that had information on using CSS to update parts
    >of a progress popup window during a long-running operation. Unfortunately I
    >can't find it now. It used the absolute positioning capabilities of CSS to
    >update specific parts of the window. Sounds like the same technique could be
    >harnessed to do what you are want.

    I haven't seen anything in the CSS spec that would allow for this, not
    to say it isn't there, but I haven't seen it. Perhaps an answer to
    your problem might be AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML), which is
    explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX, and allows websites
    to have kind of functionality as the Gmail (http://gmail.google.com)
    website.
    --