    ridden software etc but it does seem MS has released a 64 bit version thats
    bug ridden or unsupported snd not that popular
    cheers Shannon

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbm5vbm4=?=, Jun 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbm5vbm4=?=

    Noozer Guest

    "Shannonn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Everyone
    > I currently run an athlon 3200 64 bit system, is there any benefit from
    > going the 64 bit xp path or should I wait till all the bugs are found
    > drivers
    > are available etc
    >
    > My system runs well on 32 bi xp and I am not a big power user etc. I read
    > here with interest more ppl than not have major problems with the 64 bit
    > version ranging from performance issues to blue screens of death. I don't
    > wish to get drawn into the age old argument that Microsoft only releases
    > bug
    > ridden software etc but it does seem MS has released a 64 bit version
    > thats
    > bug ridden or unsupported snd not that popular

    64 bit is just as stable as 32 bit. I've run both side by side. Both run
    well. The only real thing stopping you from going 64 bit is if you have any
    hardware that doesn't have drivers, which should be easy to figure out
    online.

    MOST 32 bit software will run OK. Some will have to be updated (for example,
    AVG does not have a free Antivirus for x64, but Avast! does - I had to
    switch). I don't know of any software that won't run and doesn't have an
    alternative available.

    Noozer, Jun 6, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbm5vbm4=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 03:17:01 -0700, Shannonn
    <> wrote:

    XP64 is really stable. It has only crashed once on me, but that was due to
    some bad beta-drivers (nvidia). Your biggest worry would be drivers for
    your hardware, and software-compatibility (64-bit drivers for dongles for
    instance). With 32-bit software, XP64 is slightly faster. You can use more
    memory, larger drives. The only real advantage will be when the software
    itself becomes 64-bit as well. But I guess we'll have to wait to Vista64 to
    see a big surge in that.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 6, 2006
  4. There certainly are 32bit app's that will not run or even install, the
    rule-of-thumb is if the software relies on drivers or driver-like support
    and wether or not it uses a 16bit installer.

    Things that may fail are old favorites, games with advanced graphics - Colin
    Mc Rae and GTR will not run, wheras MSFlight Simulator and Midtown Madness
    runs with excellence! - and then Anti Virus scanners.

    For most things there is no problem.

    One popular alternative in this community is to dual-boot.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2006
  5. In a year of use I have not had a blue screen. x64 is the stablest edition
    of XP released to date. I also have not encountered bugs in the OS. The
    only issues I have encountered relate to third party software and devices.
    Performance has been excellent.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Here is an excellent one to check out, is 64-bit Windows right for me, by
    Charlie Russel - MVP:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006
  7. Check it out!! XP 64 is by far the best and stable. I have had zero problems.
    Office 2007 even works well.

    I am running 2GB Ram and Intle 930 Dual Core.
    My 32 bit apps are running faster also.

    Make sure you have enough Memory!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iZmlu?=, Jun 7, 2006