    come with a new motherboard or machine."

    how do i know which bus mastering drivers I have or if BIOS
    supports DMA? The DMA box is not checked.
    PCportinc, Feb 25, 2004

  2. PCportinc

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in
    news::

    > how do i know which bus mastering drivers I have or if BIOS
    > supports DMA? The DMA box is not checked.

    Check the box, restart. If everything works OK, and you go back and the
    box is still checked, your drive, controller, and BIOS all support DMA.
    Otherwise, Windows will uncheck the box on its own.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004

  3. atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is the below advice good for a PI PC?
    > I have a 3.68gb hdd.
    >
    > "You can enable DMA by
    > going to Device Manager under System Properties. Under
    > the list, find the drive you want to enable for DMA.
    > Right click on the item and hit Properties. Click the
    > Settings tab and check the DMA box. In order to work,
    > your BIOS must support DMA and you must have the right
    > bus mastering drivers installed. These drivers usually
    > come with a new motherboard or machine."
    >
    > how do i know which bus mastering drivers I have or if BIOS
    > supports DMA? The DMA box is not checked.

    Hello,
    In order to find out whether your PC accepts the bus mastering, all
    you have to do is check out your motherboard and find out what chipset
    it uses. Normally it's the circuit that says "PCIset". If this circuit
    is Intel and has FX,HX, VX, or TX as its suffix (i.e., the one on most
    extant motherboards), your PC can benefit from bus mastering.

    GOT THIS INFO FROM http://www.hardwaresite.net/bus.html

    greetings

    http://members.benl.ebay.be/aboutme/doorsawake/
    Nik Vansevenant, Feb 26, 2004
  4. PCportinc

    Thor Guest

    > > Is the below advice good for a PI PC?
    > > I have a 3.68gb hdd.
    > >
    > > "You can enable DMA by
    > > going to Device Manager under System Properties. Under
    > > the list, find the drive you want to enable for DMA.
    > > Right click on the item and hit Properties. Click the
    > > Settings tab and check the DMA box. In order to work,
    > > your BIOS must support DMA and you must have the right
    > > bus mastering drivers installed. These drivers usually
    > > come with a new motherboard or machine."
    > >
    > > how do i know which bus mastering drivers I have or if BIOS
    > > supports DMA? The DMA box is not checked.

    > Hello,
    > In order to find out whether your PC accepts the bus mastering, all
    > you have to do is check out your motherboard and find out what chipset
    > it uses. Normally it's the circuit that says "PCIset". If this circuit
    > is Intel and has FX,HX, VX, or TX as its suffix (i.e., the one on most
    > extant motherboards), your PC can benefit from bus mastering.
    >
    > GOT THIS INFO FROM http://www.hardwaresite.net/bus.html

    The info is a smidge out of date. The Intel TX, VX, and HX chipsets were
    circa 1997/98, and FX was 1995/96. Of those, only TX was capable of UDMA,
    the others could do multiword DMA only. All modern chipsets (other brands
    included) since then do bus mastering and UDMA of various speeds.
    Thor, Feb 26, 2004