    (one for XP & one for Windows 7)?

    Can I use a 2 gig IDE flash drive with no operating system on it just a boot
    manager to choose between the other 2 hard drives?

    Hugh Sutherland, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Hugh Sutherland

    thanatoid Guest

    "Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote in
    news:0IL5n.2095$:

    > The problem with a dual boot is that if anything happens to
    > the boot manager then both yr operating systems are fucked.
    > How about a hard drive switch so I don't have to keep
    > switching the cable back and forth between hard drives (one
    > for XP & one for Windows 7)?

    I don't know anything about Windows 6.0 and 6.1 (AKA 7) except
    to keep away from them.

    Does this combo you mention NOT offer the (uncharacteristically
    merciful) dual option which XP did, of installing it along with
    a previous OS? All the 4 or 5 files needed to restore that
    functionality are under half a meg, PLUS you can edit boot.ini
    to add more operating systems (I haven't actually tried it but I
    thought that it could be done and then saw someone mention the
    same in a "how to multiboot" article).

    So a floppy (yes, I still use and love them... Did you know a
    book fits on a floppy? Of course, the complete "Lord Of The
    Rings" with 13.3 sound {I'm joking, dammit, but just wait!} does
    not...) or bootable CD/stick /should/ always allow you to get in
    there.

    > Can I use a 2 gig IDE flash drive with no operating system
    > on it just a boot manager to choose between the other 2
    > hard drives?

    I don't KNOW, but I don't think so. Since most (if not ALL) boot
    managers change the MBR, they need to be on the HD.
    Theoretically, they don't "HAVE" to be, I don't believe, but I
    would imagine they design them so that they /have to/ for safety
    - if you have the other files on a floppy/stick/whatever and
    lose/destroy it, you're fucked.

    --
    The arrows are faster than rodents!
    - t.

    thanatoid, Jan 21, 2010

  3. Hugh Sutherland

    english_dude Guest

    best way to multi boot -

    install each OS on a separate HDD with only that HDD connected during
    install.

    this will ensure each OS has its own MBR (make a note of the serial/ID
    of each HDD as seen in BIOS)

    connect all HDDs.

    at start up, press F11 to access boot menu and select the HDD/OS that
    you want from the serial/ID list.

    boot menu might not be F11 on your mobo - check manual

    this boot method allows for future system changes, HDD upgrades etc

    english_dude, Jan 21, 2010
  4. Hugh Sutherland

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:45:28 -0500, Hugh Sutherland wrote:

    >The problem with a dual boot is that if anything happens to the boot manager
    >then both yr operating systems are fucked. How about a hard drive switch so
    >I don't have to keep switching the cable back and forth between hard drives
    >(one for XP & one for Windows 7)?

    With that, all you have to do is backup the MBR and keep a couple of
    safe copies. Or even boot Win 7 into recovery console and use

    www.google.com will likely find lots of info for you and maybe even a
    good backup / partition manager.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html
    How to repair MBR on Windows 7

    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10903-simplest-way-restore-windows-7-mbr.html
    Windows 7 - Simplest way to restore Windows 7 MBR?

    There are several like this,
    http://www.sadevelopment.com/
    Supports up to 256 operating systems on a single hard drive.

    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml
    Free Partitioning Software (Partition Editors, Managers, and Recovery
    Tools)

    Or a BIOS that lets you pick from disk1,2,3,4,cd/dvd,usb1...etc to boot
    from.

    Ok you don't want to pick a boot option that way. There is nothing
    stopping you backing up the MBR record to a usb / cd for safekeeping.
    Something like Acronis will do this, letting you boot from the recovery
    CD, and restore the safety mbr copy back to disk.

    It's also a good idea if you can, have a 100-200MB small partition on
    your disk that's just the boot manager, which you can easily backup /
    restore the config if required.

    >Can I use a 2 gig IDE flash drive with no operating system on it just a boot
    >manager to choose between the other 2 hard drives?

    So you lose the boot manager to reach the OS :) you would still have to
    backup / restore it's config.

    Most likely, but a USB stick may cost less.

    It's also not unreasonable (supect this would work) to put say a Linux
    boot on a USB device. In the BIOS nake it your 1st device, so when it's
    not plugged in system boots to HD, or if plugged in launch Linux
    instead. You don't have to alter the original MBR.

    Me

    why?, Jan 21, 2010
  5. Hugh Sutherland

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:49:17 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:

    >"Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote in
    >
    >> The problem with a dual boot is that if anything happens to
    >> the boot manager then both yr operating systems are fucked.
    >> How about a hard drive switch so I don't have to keep
    >> switching the cable back and forth between hard drives (one
    >> for XP & one for Windows 7)?

    >I don't know anything about Windows 6.0 and 6.1 (AKA 7) except
    >to keep away from them.
    >
    >Does this combo you mention NOT offer the (uncharacteristically
    >merciful) dual option which XP did, of installing it along with

    It does, you install older versions first.

    >a previous OS? All the 4 or 5 files needed to restore that
    >functionality are under half a meg, PLUS you can edit boot.ini

    It's now BCDEDIT from Vista, and nothing like the simple boot.ini. There
    are BCD editors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD
    and fairly horrible commandline options, as in (2).

    http://www.vistaforums.com/FORUM/Topic587-9-1.aspx

    example 1,
    bcdedit /set {legacy} Description "Windows XP Professional SP2"

    Changes the text description of the “Legacy” OS line in the boot menu.
    The quotation marks must be included in the command

    2,
    bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} description “Windows
    Vista Build 5270 x64”

    Changes the text of the boot menu line for any other Vista installation.
    One must use the GUID for that particular installation as shown when one
    runs the bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all command.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 21, 2010
  6. Hugh Sutherland

    thanatoid Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    Well, every "improvement" in Windows makes things more
    difficult, but it does not look entirely hopeless...

    Good luck.

    thanatoid, Jan 21, 2010