    Please is it safe to delete these files?
    Thanks in advance.
    WINDOWS XP

    Lethal, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Lethal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
    news:vBdEe.14115$5V4.13356@pd7tw3no...
    > My computer is a bit sluggish, after looking in the Windows folder, I
    > have found many files with the endings as followed, "Text document"
    > "PTN" "PRX" "BMP". Could it be the raison for the sluggishness?
    > Please is it safe to delete these files?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > WINDOWS XP

    Unless you are low on hard drive space, leave them alone. If you are low on
    hard drive space, it could be causing your sluggishness, but I'd suggest
    looking elsewhere for something to delete.

    More likely, you have spyware/malware etc. running in the background wasting
    your system resources. Have you scanned for virus, trojan, spyware, adware,
    or other infections?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Lethal

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:32:11 GMT As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
    and then "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote :

    >My computer is a bit sluggish, after looking in the Windows folder, I have
    >found many files with the endings as followed, "Text document" "PTN"
    >"PRX" "BMP". Could it be the raison for the sluggishness?
    >Please is it safe to delete these files?
    >Thanks in advance.
    >WINDOWS XP

    Download Easy Cleaner,
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    and use it's,"Uneccessary file" option.
    HTH :)

    Email:

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Lethal

    SgtMinor Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > My computer is a bit sluggish, after looking in the Windows folder, I have
    > found many files with the endings as followed, "Text document" "PTN"
    > "PRX" "BMP". Could it be the raison for the sluggishness?
    > Please is it safe to delete these files?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > WINDOWS XP

    How did you fix that "sound system trouble" that you had a week ago?
    You never explained, IIRC.

    SgtMinor, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    I had to get a technician to repair it, so I don't know what he did, Sorry,
    it was the raison why I did not reply to your question a week ago.

    Lethal, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Lethal

    Barney Guest

    "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> had
    writtennews:vBdEe.14115$5V4.13356@pd7tw3no:

    > My computer is a bit sluggish, after looking in the Windows
    > folder, I have found many files with the endings as followed,
    > "Text document" "PTN" "PRX" "BMP". Could it be the raison for
    > the sluggishness? Please is it safe to delete these files?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > WINDOWS XP

    I have to ask: Why would one start deleting files because their
    computer is getting slow? Would it be you think the computer had to
    much to do and this process will ease the burdon?

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    And to Barney, I have to answer. I am not very savvy with computers,
    therefore, it is why I've asked "Could it be the raison for the
    sluggishness" one never know if it would ease the burden (E not O ) to
    delete these files until he or she ask, right Barney?.
    Without grudge OK ?
    Thanks any ways.

    Lethal, Jul 23, 2005
  8. Lethal

    SgtMinor Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > My computer is a bit sluggish, after looking in the Windows folder, I have
    > found many files with the endings as followed, "Text document" "PTN"
    > "PRX" "BMP". Could it be the raison for the sluggishness?
    > Please is it safe to delete these files?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > WINDOWS XP

    This article is a bit dated but provides some answers to the question
    "Why is my computer so slow?":
    http://www.infohq.com/Computer/help/slow-computer.shtml

    SgtMinor, Jul 23, 2005
  9. Lethal

    writtennews:qWsEe.21712$s54.933@pd7tw2no:

    > And to Barney, I have to answer. I am not very savvy with
    > computers, therefore, it is why I've asked "Could it be the raison
    > for the sluggishness" one never know if it would ease the burden
    > (E not O ) to delete these files until he or she ask, right
    > Barney?. Without grudge OK ?
    > Thanks any ways.

    No grudge intended. I just want to know why the "delete thing". I have
    no idea why files on a hard drive could/would slow down a computer. I
    am not a whiz and wonder why you would pick this avenue to speed up the
    computer. Did someone advise you to this solution?
    I would understand removing a useless program that persists running in
    the background but not a file it would read.

    Have you defragged the drive and used "disc cleanup" yet?

    Thanks!

    Barney, Jul 24, 2005
  10. Lethal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Barney" <> wrote in message
    > "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> had
    > writtennews:qWsEe.21712$s54.933@pd7tw2no:
    >
    >> And to Barney, I have to answer. I am not very savvy with
    >> computers, therefore, it is why I've asked "Could it be the raison
    >> for the sluggishness" one never know if it would ease the burden
    >> (E not O ) to delete these files until he or she ask, right
    >> Barney?. Without grudge OK ?
    >> Thanks any ways.
    >>

    > No grudge intended. I just want to know why the "delete thing". I have
    > no idea why files on a hard drive could/would slow down a computer. I
    > am not a whiz and wonder why you would pick this avenue to speed up the
    > computer. Did someone advise you to this solution?
    > I would understand removing a useless program that persists running in
    > the background but not a file it would read.

    You're mostly right, Barney. There is seldom a time where extra unneeded
    files on a hard drive will slow down the system. The only time I can think
    of where it would be an issue is if the hard drive is stuffed so full that
    there is no room for Windows to do any temp file work. I never let my hard
    drives get more than 90% full. If they do, Windows has to
    shuffle/fragment/push and shove (<g>) to get data on the drive. (For
    example, even just using MS Word or surf the Internet, Windows has to make
    temporary files on the HD - if there's no room for a contiguous file, it has
    to work harder, thus slower, to get those files written.) At that point, it
    could be beneficial to remove files that are not needed.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Lethal

    Barney Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> had
    writtennews:X0OEe.3690$:

    > You're mostly right, Barney. There is seldom a time where extra
    > unneeded files on a hard drive will slow down the system. The only
    > time I can think of where it would be an issue is if the hard
    > drive is stuffed so full that there is no room for Windows to do
    > any temp file work. I never let my hard drives get more than 90%
    > full. If they do, Windows has to shuffle/fragment/push and shove
    > (<g>) to get data on the drive. (For example, even just using MS
    > Word or surf the Internet, Windows has to make temporary files on
    > the HD - if there's no room for a contiguous file, it has to work
    > harder, thus slower, to get those files written.) At that point,
    > it could be beneficial to remove files that are not needed.

    I can see that! I use CCleaner even though I have plenty space left
    on the hard drive. I also defrag at least once a month. I partitioned
    the hard drive from day one and use the partition as it were another
    hard drive (D). I find this keeps things more ordely. All in all,I
    don't delete individual files manualy. Even some in the temp folders
    have their use.

    Barney, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Lethal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Barney" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> had
    > writtennews:X0OEe.3690$:
    >

    >> You're mostly right, Barney. There is seldom a time where extra
    >> unneeded files on a hard drive will slow down the system. The only
    >> time I can think of where it would be an issue is if the hard
    >> drive is stuffed so full that there is no room for Windows to do
    >> any temp file work. I never let my hard drives get more than 90%
    >> full. If they do, Windows has to shuffle/fragment/push and shove
    >> (<g>) to get data on the drive. (For example, even just using MS
    >> Word or surf the Internet, Windows has to make temporary files on
    >> the HD - if there's no room for a contiguous file, it has to work
    >> harder, thus slower, to get those files written.) At that point,
    >> it could be beneficial to remove files that are not needed.
    >>

    > I can see that! I use CCleaner even though I have plenty space left
    > on the hard drive. I also defrag at least once a month. I partitioned
    > the hard drive from day one and use the partition as it were another
    > hard drive (D). I find this keeps things more ordely. All in all,I
    > don't delete individual files manualy. Even some in the temp folders
    > have their use.

    Well, it's good to see someone who stays on top of basic maintenance.
    Anything in the temp folders that I question would go in a "watch" folder.
    I'd move them there, and after a few weeks if it isn't bothering my system
    not having them, I delete them.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Yes Barney, I have defragged,cleaned and done all the things that I know how
    to do!, and thank you all , I always appreciate the help I get from this
    group, you are a great bunch and for a old lady like me ( Hum! Hum,) I need
    all the help I can get when it come to computer stuff.
    Thanks again.

    Lethal, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Lethal

    Barney Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> had
    writtennews:b1PEe.2371$:

    > Well, it's good to see someone who stays on top of basic
    > maintenance. Anything in the temp folders that I question would go
    > in a "watch" folder. I'd move them there, and after a few weeks if
    > it isn't bothering my system not having them, I delete them.

    CCleaner as the ability to not delete new files in the temp. for four
    days. I do however, like the idea of a "Watch Folder".

    Barney, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Lethal

    writtennews:CEPEe.27115$%K2.7817@pd7tw1no:

    > Yes Barney, I have defragged,cleaned and done all the things that
    > I know how to do!, and thank you all , I always appreciate the
    > help I get from this group, you are a great bunch and for a old
    > lady like me ( Hum! Hum,) I need all the help I can get when it
    > come to computer stuff. Thanks again.

    I contributed so little and humbled by your "thank you". Do try
    CCleaner. It's freeware and works idealy. www.ccleaner.com

    Barney, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Thanks again Barney, I downloaded cccleaner and used it, but for the
    registry, I am a bit weary and afraid to touch anything. I think that I am
    alright now,my free Space is 90% and out of 80GB, 68.18 GB are free, so all
    is well and my computer is going well. Until next problem arises ( hopefully
    not too soon) Thanks again to you all..

    Lethal, Jul 25, 2005