To create a perfect newsgroup.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Pack, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    The creation of a perfect newsgroup. Everybody would have the exact same
    hardware and configuration so that everybody involved could duplicate the
    errors and verify a possible fix.

    So much for perfect, since most configurations are different
    even though they may be similar. What works on my system may not work on
    yours. It is extremely rare for a posting to list the configuration being
    used or the exact error.

    Another problem is that if the first reply doesn't have the
    complete silver bullet with no complications, the flaming starts. There is
    no silver bullet for most situations, most times it's trial and error. Many
    times a fix may work but there is no reply that it was successful.

    The technical level of people in the group ranges from beginner
    or novice to highly qualified technically. So answers have to be directed at
    a lower level so that they can be understood. Most of the fixes are for
    problems that started at or near the beginning of the configuration, not
    burning the image properly, not having the proper drivers.

    The purpose of this newsgroup is to assist in getting this
    operating system functional for everybody that wants to use or test it.
    Everybody that replies is trying to help which is great but most times is
    working blind to the exact problem being encountered or answer wanted.

    Dennis Pack, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Dennis Pack

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:38:55 -0400, "Dennis Pack" <>
    wrote:

    >The creation of a perfect newsgroup. Everybody would have the exact same
    >hardware and configuration so that everybody involved could duplicate the
    >errors and verify a possible fix.

    Buy an Apple and you got your uniform computer to discuss ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Jud Hendrix wrote:

    > Buy an Apple and you got your uniform computer to discuss ;-)

    Well, not for long. Soon we'll have Intel-based Macs too. :)

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 13, 2005
  4. The perfect computer is the human brain, it can't get any better than that.
    I can't wait to buy my Intel Power Mac in 2006 and see my bootloader with
    both XP and OS X, its going to look so COOL!
    Please select the operating system to start:

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Apple Mac OS X "Tiger" 10.4

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
    Press ENTER to choose.

    For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows or OS X, press
    F8.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  5. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > The perfect computer is the human brain, it can't get any better than
    > that. I can't wait to buy my Intel Power Mac in 2006 and see my bootloader
    > with both XP and OS X, its going to look so COOL!

    While it may look cool, it is an expensive investment, consdering that the
    software support of the Mac is on the decline, and has been for several
    years. If you just want to load OS X, you can use a program called PearPC at
    http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/ on your present system. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > The perfect computer is the human brain, it can't get any
    > better than that.

    Who knows. Maybe the human brain is like a cheap calculator
    compared to other species out there. :)

    > I can't wait to buy my Intel Power Mac in 2006 and see my
    > bootloader with both XP and OS X, its going to look so COOL!

    I would sure love to see that too, but I doubt that it's going
    to happen in 2006.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Killer Whales are way smarter than humans, to them the human language is
    redundant and seems rather dumb. The dual boot thing with OS X will happen,
    some hacker with time on his or her hands will figure it out.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  8. PearPC requires a very powerful computer with at least 2GBs of ram to run
    well, it would be better to invest that RAM money in a machine from Apple. I
    think Apple will see the light and give users the option to run Windows
    along with OS X on the machine. Think about it, have Windows on an a Apple
    is the best Virtual PC any Mac user could get.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  9. Dennis Pack

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:22:56 +0200, "Thomas G. Madsen"
    <> wrote:

    >> I can't wait to buy my Intel Power Mac in 2006 and see my
    >> bootloader with both XP and OS X, its going to look so COOL!

    >I would sure love to see that too, but I doubt that it's going
    >to happen in 2006.

    Dunno. Just read in some of the online mags & gossip sites about
    rumours of OSX 10.4.1 already ported to Intel. We should know
    pretty soon if that is true.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  10. Apple has been running OS X on Intel since version 10.0.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  11. Dennis Pack

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:04:05 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Apple has been running OS X on Intel since version 10.0.

    But that was only the Kernel core as far as I know, and not the GUI.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  12. Jud Hendrix wrote:

    > Dunno. Just read in some of the online mags & gossip sites about
    > rumours of OSX 10.4.1 already ported to Intel. We should know
    > pretty soon if that is true.

    It is true. <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/>
    I just doubt that we will see it side by side with Windows for
    the next couple of years or so.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 13, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > The dual boot thing with OS X will happen, some hacker with
    > time on his or her hands will figure it out.

    Probably. I just doubt that it'll happen in 2006.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 13, 2005
  14. No, GUI too, but it was only in Apple and Intel labs.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  15. No, no, the point is Windows can run on a Intel Macintosh, Apple's Phil
    Schiller said they are not doing anything to do that, which would possibly
    suggest, then they could run side by side, because why would you want to
    sacrifice your hardware to run Windows? There would be no value in
    developing OS X which would be suggesting you are more of a hardware than a
    software company.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > No, no, the point is Windows can run on a Intel Macintosh [..]

    Ahh okay. I thought that you meant running OS X Tiger on an
    ordinary Intel-based PC.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 13, 2005
  17. Apple is planning on using some proprietary BIOS to keep the good times
    rolling.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  18. Dennis Pack

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:13:48 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >No, GUI too, but it was only in Apple and Intel labs.

    Ohhh, how exciting :)

    (not really :) )

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  19. Dennis Pack

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:02:41 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Apple is planning on using some proprietary BIOS to keep the good times
    >rolling.

    Duh for Apple. There are people very active in hacking BIOS'ses for
    all kind of purposes, so that idea of them won't last very long.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  20. Who told you that? I have tested it with my 3200+ AMD CPU (1mb cache) and 1
    GB of DDRAM PC3200, and it worked fine

    Wayne
    \

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 14, 2005