To Buy XP Home OEM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mbt6, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Mbt6

    Mbt6 Guest

    Mbt6, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Mbt6

    Robert Baer Guest

    Mbt6 wrote:

    > I'm building a pc for the first time. To put XP Home on it, I have found
    > that I can buy it OEM. Is their any reason why this would be a bad idea? The
    > link I found below was a pretty good price.
    >
    > http://www.agsolutionspc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7&dc=274733

    Nothing wrong with OEM versions; they are not "upgrades" and do not
    demand an older version to be "fed" to it (one way or another) during
    install.
    Robert Baer, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Mbt6

    Thor Guest

    "Mbt6" <> wrote in message
    > I'm building a pc for the first time. To put XP Home on it, I have found
    > that I can buy it OEM. Is their any reason why this would be a bad idea?

    The
    > link I found below was a pretty good price.

    http://www.agsolutionspc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7&dc=274733

    It will be fine. That's what the OEM version is intended for (newly built
    PCs). Keep in mind that free support from MS may be limited, or nonexistant
    though. OEM typically means that the PC builder is responsible for the
    support. If you had purchased a system with OEM windows pre-installed, it
    would usually be up to the PC manufacturer to provide support for that
    version of windows. Since you are the "manufacturer" you get to provide your
    own support.
    Thor, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Mbt6

    Rv! Guest

    Watchout for those Dell XP CD's.
    I have major problems installing one of those on a generic PC
    the other week. I never did get to the bottom of it due to
    various business reasons. The PC would simply not accept the
    CD and get into the install procedure correctly. There were
    loads of Dell utilities on the CD as pre-installs so I wonder if one
    of those might have been causing the lock up?

    Robertv!

    Rv!, Aug 30, 2004