    hope that is clear enough

    thank you
    , Mar 11, 2008

  2. sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 11, 9:28 am, wrote:
    > 'd like to have two hdd's with the same or different OS's on them
    > i'd like to find a way such that when i turn on my machine i have a
    > choice which one to boot from
    >
    > here's why, i am happy with my current setup, one hdd with XP. i'd
    > like to explore using vista or linux and or even having xp on the 2nd
    > hdd, hence, wanting to be able to choose which hdd to boot from
    >
    > hope that is clear enough
    >
    > thank you

    Google "dual boot"
    sandy58, Mar 11, 2008

  3. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > 'd like to have two hdd's with the same or different OS's on them
    > i'd like to find a way such that when i turn on my machine i have a
    > choice which one to boot from
    >
    > here's why, i am happy with my current setup, one hdd with XP. i'd
    > like to explore using vista or linux and or even having xp on the 2nd
    > hdd, hence, wanting to be able to choose which hdd to boot from
    >
    > hope that is clear enough
    >
    > thank you

    If you're going to be using linux (and remeber you *don't* have to have
    only one partition per hard drive you can have several), it comes with
    LILO, which allows booting of *any* partition. Try this *before* you
    install linux (most people don't and assume it's just like MS Windows
    which it isn't):

    http://tldp.org/

    read the Linux FAQ,The Linux Installation HOWTO,Linux Installation
    Strategies HOWTO, and the LILO mini-HOWTO. Then you can worry about how
    to *use* linux, and those are all there too.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 11, 2008
  4. Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > 'd like to have two hdd's with the same or different OS's on them
    > i'd like to find a way such that when i turn on my machine i have a
    > choice which one to boot from
    >
    > here's why, i am happy with my current setup, one hdd with XP. i'd
    > like to explore using vista or linux and or even having xp on the 2nd
    > hdd, hence, wanting to be able to choose which hdd to boot from
    >
    > hope that is clear enough
    >
    > thank you

    Dual boot is so last year. Google "virtual pc"

    By using virtual PCs you can run many different operating systems and
    their versions on your system without screwing up your main OS. You can
    run them independently or concurrently. You can take the image and run
    it on another PC if you want.

    Vmware is a good choice. http://www.vmware.com/
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 12, 2008
  5. sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 12, 3:56 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > 'd like to have two hdd's with the same or different OS's on them
    > > i'd like to find a way such that when i turn on my machine i have a
    > > choice which one to boot from

    > > here's why, i am happy with my current setup, one hdd with XP. i'd
    > > like to explore using vista or linux and or even having xp on the 2nd
    > > hdd, hence, wanting to be able to choose which hdd to boot from

    > > hope that is clear enough

    > > thank you

    > Dual boot is so last year. Google "virtual pc"
    >
    > By using virtual PCs you can run many different operating systems and
    > their versions on your system without screwing up your main OS. You can
    > run them independently or concurrently. You can take the image and run
    > it on another PC if you want.
    >
    > Vmware is a good choice.http://www.vmware.com/

    Thanks for the VMware heads-up, Desk Rabbit.
    Oh yes....>"Dual boot is so last year. Google "virtual pc""<
    is so deliciously camp:)
    sandy58, Mar 12, 2008
  6. Guest

    , Mar 12, 2008
  7. Desk Rabbit Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 3:56 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> 'd like to have two hdd's with the same or different OS's on them
    >>> i'd like to find a way such that when i turn on my machine i have a
    >>> choice which one to boot from
    >>> here's why, i am happy with my current setup, one hdd with XP. i'd
    >>> like to explore using vista or linux and or even having xp on the 2nd
    >>> hdd, hence, wanting to be able to choose which hdd to boot from
    >>> hope that is clear enough
    >>> thank you

    >> Dual boot is so last year. Google "virtual pc"
    >>
    >> By using virtual PCs you can run many different operating systems and
    >> their versions on your system without screwing up your main OS. You can
    >> run them independently or concurrently. You can take the image and run
    >> it on another PC if you want.
    >>
    >> Vmware is a good choice.http://www.vmware.com/

    > Thanks for the VMware heads-up, Desk Rabbit.
    > Oh yes....>"Dual boot is so last year. Google "virtual pc""<
    > is so deliciously camp:)

    It's definitely Bona. Hope to vada your jolly old eek some time ;-)
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 14, 2008