To a good home

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Eric Stevens, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Anyone who is interested in my old 'old' computer system can have it
    for the taking away. Forgive me for being a bit hazy about some of the
    details but its some time since I used it. It still all goes as far as
    I know.

    PC Direct (that dates it) 670 Duo with 2 x Pentium Pro 200
    Plus, 512 kB of EDO RAM. Matrox Millenium graphics card.
    Two hard drives (I forget the size), diskette drive and CD Rom
    player. 2 x parallel port + 2 x serial port + SCSI port
    connection. Network card. Sound card. Loaded with Windows NT4
    SP4 plus some other software. Keyboard, optical
    wheel-mouse, pair of speakers with power supply.

    15" CRT Monitor

    Hewlett packard 5P (SCSI) scanner + SCSI cable. (This was in
    regular use until it was replaced with an Epson V700
    only a few weeks ago).

    (Genuine) NT4 diskettes

    Books
    ---------
    Using Windows NT4 Workstation 4.0 QUE
    Windows Workstation 4 UNLEASHED 1998
    Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide.
    The Book of SCSI

    Free to a good home. Take it all or nothing :)

    Can be collected from North Shore, Auckland
    Contact me by email if you are interested.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Eric Stevens wrote:
    > PC Direct (that dates it) 670 Duo with 2 x Pentium Pro 200
    > Plus, 512 kB of EDO RAM. Matrox Millenium graphics card.
    > Two hard drives (I forget the size), diskette drive and CD Rom
    > player. 2 x parallel port + 2 x serial port + SCSI port
    > connection. Network card. Sound card. Loaded with Windows NT4
    > SP4 plus some other software. Keyboard, optical
    > wheel-mouse, pair of speakers with power supply.

    I think I remember that one. The dual processor system where the
    catalogue, orange if I'm not mistaken, claimed productivity trebled as a
    result of getting this new system? The same catalogue PC Direct got in
    to trouble over for making up their customer quotes?

    Brings back memories.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 08:51:18 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone who is interested in my old 'old' computer system can have it
    >for the taking away. Forgive me for being a bit hazy about some of the
    >details but its some time since I used it. It still all goes as far as
    >I know.
    >
    > PC Direct (that dates it) 670 Duo with 2 x Pentium Pro 200
    > Plus, 512 kB of EDO RAM. Matrox Millenium graphics card.
    > Two hard drives (I forget the size), diskette drive and CD Rom
    > player. 2 x parallel port + 2 x serial port + SCSI port
    > connection. Network card. Sound card. Loaded with Windows NT4
    > SP4 plus some other software. Keyboard, optical
    > wheel-mouse, pair of speakers with power supply.
    >
    > 15" CRT Monitor
    >
    > Hewlett packard 5P (SCSI) scanner + SCSI cable. (This was in
    > regular use until it was replaced with an Epson V700
    > only a few weeks ago).
    >
    > (Genuine) NT4 diskettes
    >
    > Books
    > ---------
    > Using Windows NT4 Workstation 4.0 QUE
    > Windows Workstation 4 UNLEASHED 1998
    > Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide.
    > The Book of SCSI
    >
    >Free to a good home. Take it all or nothing :)
    >
    >Can be collected from North Shore, Auckland
    >Contact me by email if you are interested.

    Its now gone.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:27:21 +1200, The Other Guy <>
    wrote:

    >Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> PC Direct (that dates it) 670 Duo with 2 x Pentium Pro 200
    >> Plus, 512 kB of EDO RAM. Matrox Millenium graphics card.
    >> Two hard drives (I forget the size), diskette drive and CD Rom
    >> player. 2 x parallel port + 2 x serial port + SCSI port
    >> connection. Network card. Sound card. Loaded with Windows NT4
    >> SP4 plus some other software. Keyboard, optical
    >> wheel-mouse, pair of speakers with power supply.

    >I think I remember that one. The dual processor system where the
    >catalogue, orange if I'm not mistaken, claimed productivity trebled as a
    >result of getting this new system? The same catalogue PC Direct got in
    >to trouble over for making up their customer quotes?

    I don't know about that, but it was the fastest thing they had at the
    time.

    >Brings back memories.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 8, 2006
  5. Eric Stevens

    <> wrote:

    >Anyone who is interested in my old 'old' computer system can have it
    >for the taking away. Forgive me for being a bit hazy about some of the
    >details but its some time since I used it. It still all goes as far as
    >I know.
    >
    > PC Direct (that dates it) 670 Duo with 2 x Pentium Pro 200
    > Plus, 512 kB of EDO RAM. Matrox Millenium graphics card.
    > Two hard drives (I forget the size), diskette drive and CD Rom
    > player. 2 x parallel port + 2 x serial port + SCSI port
    > connection. Network card. Sound card. Loaded with Windows NT4
    > SP4 plus some other software. Keyboard, optical
    > wheel-mouse, pair of speakers with power supply.
    >
    > 15" CRT Monitor
    >
    > Hewlett packard 5P (SCSI) scanner + SCSI cable. (This was in
    > regular use until it was replaced with an Epson V700
    > only a few weeks ago).
    >
    > (Genuine) NT4 diskettes
    >
    > Books
    > ---------
    > Using Windows NT4 Workstation 4.0 QUE
    > Windows Workstation 4 UNLEASHED 1998
    > Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide.
    > The Book of SCSI
    >
    >Free to a good home. Take it all or nothing :)
    >
    >Can be collected from North Shore, Auckland
    >Contact me by email if you are interested.

    Could the person who collected the computer please get in touch with
    me again - 09 413 8011 - so I can tell him the password.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 10, 2006
  6. Eric Stevens

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote in

    > Could the person who collected the computer please get in touch with
    > me again - 09 413 8011 - so I can tell him the password.

    CMOS is fixed with a jumper most of the time.
    NT4 Administrator is trivial.
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    I think the person probably does not need the password.

    The only password I have heard of that is effective is one that is in the
    hard drive itself, like IBM has. There are so many tools out there for
    EFS, word, zip, bios, OS. When you have physical access...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 10, 2006
  7. Eric Stevens

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote in
    >
    >> Could the person who collected the computer please get in touch with
    >> me again - 09 413 8011 - so I can tell him the password.

    > CMOS is fixed with a jumper most of the time.
    > NT4 Administrator is trivial.
    > http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > I think the person probably does not need the password.

    This depends on the PC savvy of the person no?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Eric Stevens

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:448b5d14
    @news2.actrix.gen.nz:

    > This depends on the PC savvy of the person no?

    Of course, but the original offer was made in a news group IIRC. That weeds
    out heaps of novices. Anyone who has been able to post in here should be
    able to blank a password, or figure out how to find out how to.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 11, 2006
  9. Eric Stevens

    Shane Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:448b5d14
    > @news2.actrix.gen.nz:
    >

    >> This depends on the PC savvy of the person no?

    > Of course, but the original offer was made in a news group IIRC. That
    > weeds
    > out heaps of novices. Anyone who has been able to post in here should be
    > able to blank a password, or figure out how to find out how to.

    Or read your post on how to do those things
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Eric Stevens

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:448b5d14
    > @news2.actrix.gen.nz:
    >

    >> This depends on the PC savvy of the person no?

    > Of course, but the original offer was made in a news group IIRC. That
    > weeds out heaps of novices. Anyone who has been able to post in here
    > should be able to blank a password, or figure out how to find out how
    > to.

    Heh, yeah, you'd think so.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jun 11, 2006
  11. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 10 Jun 2006 23:50:04 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Eric Stevens <> wrote in
    >
    >> Could the person who collected the computer please get in touch with
    >> me again - 09 413 8011 - so I can tell him the password.

    >CMOS is fixed with a jumper most of the time.
    >NT4 Administrator is trivial.
    >http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    >I think the person probably does not need the password.
    >
    >The only password I have heard of that is effective is one that is in the
    >hard drive itself, like IBM has. There are so many tools out there for
    >EFS, word, zip, bios, OS. When you have physical access...

    Ok, Ok.

    Can he call me so I can give him the manual for the scanner?

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 13, 2006
  12. Eric Stevens

    Jo Guest

    "Eric Stevens" <> wrote in message
    > Can he call me so I can give him the manual for the scanner?
    >

    > Eric Stevens

    you still have the manual? Our one has been relegated to the bottom shelf
    department, it hardly ever gets used anymore.
    Jo, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Eric Stevens

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > "Eric Stevens" <> wrote in message
    >> Can he call me so I can give him the manual for the scanner?
    >>

    >> Eric Stevens
    >>

    > you still have the manual? Our one has been relegated to the bottom
    > shelf department, it hardly ever gets used anymore.

    I think that this is Eric's way of saying that he feels the person who
    collected the PC is fairly new to computing or, as I was not so long ago,
    operating with sub-par knowledge of how PCs work. Therefore there's a good
    chance he won't know how to get past the password, or, if he does, may cause
    himself more trouble than he can easilly handle. As everyone jumped on his
    mention of a password with opinions/options he decided to take another tack,
    hopefully so no smartypants' will jump in and side-track the point he's
    trying to make this time.

    D00d!!! Get in touch with Eric!
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jun 13, 2006
  14. Eric Stevens

    a_l_p Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Jo wrote:
    >
    >>"Eric Stevens" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can he call me so I can give him the manual for the scanner?
    >>>

    >>>Eric Stevens
    >>>

    >>you still have the manual? Our one has been relegated to the bottom
    >>shelf department, it hardly ever gets used anymore.

    > I think that this is Eric's way of saying that he feels the person who
    > collected the PC is fairly new to computing or, as I was not so long ago,
    > operating with sub-par knowledge of how PCs work. Therefore there's a good
    > chance he won't know how to get past the password, or, if he does, may cause
    > himself more trouble than he can easilly handle. As everyone jumped on his
    > mention of a password with opinions/options he decided to take another tack,
    > hopefully so no smartypants' will jump in and side-track the point he's
    > trying to make this time.
    >
    > D00d!!! Get in touch with Eric!

    Reminiscent of playground nastiness:

    [A L P finds out how to do some particular thing]
    A L P (thinks): Now I'll be able to say it too, like the big kids!
    A L P (sneering): "Gee whilliker, dumb-ass kid, you can't do that yet?
    EVERYBODY knows how to do that!"

    I wish there weren't so much of that among computer Brainy Kids. It's hugely
    unattractive.

    A L P
    a_l_p, Jun 13, 2006
  15. T'was the Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:45:58 +1200 when I remembered a_l_p
    <> saying something like this:

    >I wish there weren't so much of that among computer Brainy Kids. It's hugely
    >unattractive.

    It's pretty damn common, occurs quite often in here when pedantic
    arguments degrade into

    "SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT SAID FEATURE DOES BLAH BLAH EXACTLY BLAH
    BLAH TO THE BLAH BLAH. INSTEAD I SAID SOMETHING MARGINALLY SIMILAR BUT
    DIFFERENT ENOUGH TO ARGUE A SEMANTIC DIFFERENCE"

    "WELL BLAH BLAH BLAH IM RIGHT AND IF IM NOT RIGHT THEN I'LL CHANGE MY
    ARGUEMENT TO SOMETHING SIMILAR BUT SOMETHING DIFFERENT ENOUGH THAT I
    CAN CLAIM TO BE RIGHT ALL OVER AGAIN"

    (Fun game, try and guess who I'm parodying with the above statements).

    It's so pervasive without computer science at university, it's like a
    variance of expert overconfidence. Is it because these people have
    grown up around people not so smart in the realm of computing, and
    then when all these people get together in one place they just can't
    help wanting to prove themselves to be the smartest person in the
    room, regardless of whether or not that's true.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jun 13, 2006
  16. Eric Stevens

    Jo Guest

    "a_l_p" <> wrote in message

    > I wish there weren't so much of that among computer Brainy Kids. It's
    > hugely unattractive.
    >

    > A L P

    Maybe I should have explained better,
    The manual - this is a very old scanner very good, but very old. I dont
    think I have ever seen a manual for it.
    We have one, it lives on the bottom shelf. We have 2 scanners, a usb printer
    one and a scsi A3 scanner, the latter is treasured and not used as often.

    So if anyone thought that was some smart quip about the manual it wasnt. I
    apologise for not making what I said perfectly clear. I do wonder if the
    person who got it was the same person who us at home tonight seeking advice
    on a very similar issue.
    Jo, Jun 13, 2006
  17. Eric Stevens

    a_l_p Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > "a_l_p" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I wish there weren't so much of that among computer Brainy Kids. It's
    >>hugely unattractive.
    >>

    >>A L P

    > Maybe I should have explained better,
    > The manual - this is a very old scanner very good, but very old. I dont
    > think I have ever seen a manual for it.
    > We have one, it lives on the bottom shelf. We have 2 scanners, a usb printer
    > one and a scsi A3 scanner, the latter is treasured and not used as often.
    >
    > So if anyone thought that was some smart quip about the manual it wasnt. I
    > apologise for not making what I said perfectly clear. I do wonder if the
    > person who got it was the same person who us at home tonight seeking advice
    > on a very similar issue.

    Jo, I *SO* wasn't referring to you! You were IMO perfectly clear and not
    disrespectful to people who still use the manual.

    It's that "people who can't do _____" should be allowed to have computers" type
    of argument that really annoys me. It always sounds as if they're terrified
    that the person who doesn't know something today, may learn it tomorrow and turn
    out to be smarter than the person who is currently trying to discourage and
    dishearten them from even asking questions.

    Are they so insecure that they can't handle the risk of people at varying levels
    of computer competence, just because some of them might stay at the newbie level
    but (horror!) some of them might learn fast and become the Top Clever Kids?

    There's news for those fearful smarties: there's room for plenty of highly
    skilled computer users, operators, programmers etc. Don't be fearful and waste
    time insulting others, work at your own skills constantly and you'll still be
    one of the Bright Kids. Add the ability to act civilized towards others and
    you'll even be a sought-after employee in time.

    A L P
    a_l_p, Jun 13, 2006
  18. Eric Stevens

    Jo Guest

    "a_l_p" <> wrote in message
    > There's news for those fearful smarties: there's room for plenty of
    > highly skilled computer users, operators, programmers etc. Don't be
    > fearful and waste time insulting others, work at your own skills
    > constantly and you'll still be one of the Bright Kids. Add the ability to
    > act civilized towards others and you'll even be a sought-after employee in
    > time.
    >
    > A L P

    I looked at what I had posted and thought "Crap, that really could be taken
    out of context".

    I agree with the above paragraph wholeheartedly, there too many prats out
    there who treat people without their narrow skillsets as fools. When they
    ask me a question, my reply is always "You know everything, piss off". For
    everyone else, I am happy to help, although I do have a well earned
    reputaion as being a demanding perfectionist. Just the little things bug me,
    my staff being sober at work, turning up and me not having to show someone
    how to do a basic protocol for the 5th time on the 100th day.
    Jo, Jun 14, 2006
  19. Eric Stevens

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > "a_l_p" <> wrote in message
    >> There's news for those fearful smarties: there's room for plenty of
    >> highly skilled computer users, operators, programmers etc. Don't be
    >> fearful and waste time insulting others, work at your own skills
    >> constantly and you'll still be one of the Bright Kids. Add the
    >> ability to act civilized towards others and you'll even be a
    >> sought-after employee in time.
    >>
    >> A L P

    > I looked at what I had posted and thought "Crap, that really could be
    > taken out of context".
    >
    > I agree with the above paragraph wholeheartedly, there too many prats
    > out there who treat people without their narrow skillsets as fools.
    > When they ask me a question, my reply is always "You know everything,
    > piss off". For everyone else, I am happy to help, although I do have
    > a well earned reputaion as being a demanding perfectionist. Just the
    > little things bug me, my staff being sober at work, turning up and me
    > not having to show someone how to do a basic protocol for the 5th
    > time on the 100th day.

    For the record Jo I wasn't getting at you either. I just happen to have
    exchanged emails with Eric as I'd hoped to get the PC myself (always wanted
    a dual PPro set up, would've liked one even now, just so I could "tick it
    off") so have a bit of inside info. ;-)

    Therefore I have an idea why he might have said "Ok, ok. Just get in touch
    as I have the manual...."

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.