    the recording it look like a dubbed Japanese movie. I am using the MPEG-1
    audio.

    Danny Deger
    Danny Deger, Sep 15, 2003

  2. On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:18:56 -0500, "Danny Deger"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a *.avi file that is 23G in length. It playbacks fine. Then, I use
    >the wizard of TMPGEnc to encode the file for DVD recording. But, the audio
    >and the video get out of sync on the encoded *.mpg file. Toward the end of
    >the recording it look like a dubbed Japanese movie. I am using the MPEG-1
    >audio.

    To absolutely maintain sync... Demux the audio from the .wav with
    Virtualdub (Direct stream copy -> save wav)

    Render the wav to MP2 with TooLame

    Render the AVI to Mpeg (video only)

    Remux the result, preferably with BBmpeg since that plays better in
    standalones, but if you wish with Tmpeg-> tools -> Simple Multiplex.
    This will ALWAYS result in a synced Mpeg.

    ..Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 15, 2003

  3. Danny Deger

    Dr. Mercury Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a *.avi file that is 23G in length. It playbacks fine. Then, I use
    >the wizard of TMPGEnc to encode the file for DVD recording. But, the audio
    >and the video get out of sync on the encoded *.mpg file. Toward the end of
    >the recording it look like a dubbed Japanese movie. I am using the MPEG-1
    >audio.

    It might be one of a few things. That stupid CBR template the wizard
    uses might be causing it, or the audio track in the AVI might be VBR
    (variable bitrate), which will always cause an a/v sync problem. As
    Steve mentioned, the proper procedure is to strip the WAV out of the
    AVI with VirtualDub and process it separately. Although you can take
    his suggestion and convert it to MP2 and remux it later, I'd just go
    ahead and dump the WAV into the Audio Source box in TMPGEnc and see
    what happens. Either way, you should get rid of that ditzy wizard and
    just process the file manually.

    I would suggest you use these templates when you do:

    www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip

    As far as a guide for TMPGEnc goes, there are lots of them on the Web,
    or you might grab the "SVCD Movie Kit" from a.b.multimedia.utilities,
    posted there late every Friday night. It's for making SVCDs, but the
    routine is the same as for making DVDs, except we use a different
    template.

    Hope that helps,
    Doc

    --

    For all of your DVD, SVCD and DivX needs: www.svcd.cc
    DVD/R info: www.svcd.cc/dvdrinfo.htm

    a.b.vcd FAQ: http://abvcd.home.comcast.net/FAQ/abvcdfaq5.01.htm
    a.b.vcd.svcd charter: www.svcd.cc/charter.htm
    Dr. Mercury, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Danny Deger

    Danny Deger Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:18:56 -0500, "Danny Deger"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a *.avi file that is 23G in length. It playbacks fine. Then, I

    use
    > >the wizard of TMPGEnc to encode the file for DVD recording. But, the

    audio
    > >and the video get out of sync on the encoded *.mpg file. Toward the end

    of
    > >the recording it look like a dubbed Japanese movie. I am using the

    MPEG-1
    > >audio.

    > To absolutely maintain sync... Demux the audio from the .wav with
    > Virtualdub (Direct stream copy -> save wav)
    >
    > Render the wav to MP2 with TooLame
    >
    > Render the AVI to Mpeg (video only)
    >
    > Remux the result, preferably with BBmpeg since that plays better in
    > standalones, but if you wish with Tmpeg-> tools -> Simple Multiplex.
    > This will ALWAYS result in a synced Mpeg.

    I would like to keep it simple, so I am trying to use Simple Multiplex with
    TMPGen, but I can't find tools option. On the top of window I have "File
    Option Help", but no tool. I found "Simple Multiplex" in the help section,
    but no help on how to activate it.

    Danny Deger, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Danny Deger

    Danny Deger Guest

    "Danny Deger" <> wrote in message

    > I would like to keep it simple, so I am trying to use Simple Multiplex

    with
    > TMPGen, but I can't find tools option. On the top of window I have "File
    > Option Help", but no tool. I found "Simple Multiplex" in the help

    section,
    > but no help on how to activate it.

    I found Mpeg tools under the file pulldown, but it doesn't have an option of
    using an *.avi file as input. I think I am going to try capturing my *.avi
    file with different capture software -- another post indicated using VBR on
    encoding might be the problem.
    Danny Deger, Sep 16, 2003
  6. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:34:07 -0500, "Danny Deger"
    <> wrote:

    >"Danny Deger" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I would like to keep it simple, so I am trying to use Simple Multiplex

    >with
    >> TMPGen, but I can't find tools option. On the top of window I have "File
    >> Option Help", but no tool. I found "Simple Multiplex" in the help

    >section,
    >> but no help on how to activate it.
    >>

    >I found Mpeg tools under the file pulldown, but it doesn't have an option of
    >using an *.avi file as input. I think I am going to try capturing my *.avi
    >file with different capture software -- another post indicated using VBR on
    >encoding might be the problem.

    I'm not sure what you're trying to do, Dr. Mercury's suggestions, as
    were mine, concerns what to do with an AVI file once it's captured.
    To capture an AVI use VirtualDub or some other software that will join
    files seamlessly and use your choice of codec. So, capture using
    Huf-YUV for video, PCM UNCOMPRESSED audio, - never ever capture audio
    to a compresed format like MP3 or asf or MP2 -. The audio and video
    files should be separate, so feed them to Tmpeg as Dr. Mercury
    suggests, not to "tools" but in the regular file input box at the
    bottom of the main Tmpeg window.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 16, 2003
  7. Danny Deger

    Dr. Mercury Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Danny Deger" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I would like to keep it simple, so I am trying to use Simple Multiplex

    >with
    >> TMPGen, but I can't find tools option. On the top of window I have "File
    >> Option Help", but no tool. I found "Simple Multiplex" in the help

    >section,
    >> but no help on how to activate it.
    >>

    >I found Mpeg tools under the file pulldown, but it doesn't have an option of
    >using an *.avi file as input. I think I am going to try capturing my *.avi
    >file with different capture software -- another post indicated using VBR on
    >encoding might be the problem.

    TMPGEnc is primarily an MPEG rendering engine, and the whole MPEG
    Tools area is pure MPEG. If you're trying to turn an AVI into an
    MPEG, that means rendering, which means using TMPGEnc for its primary
    purpose. And that, in turn, means gobs of time. We're talkin'
    anywhere from four to twenty hours to render an average-length movie,
    CPU depending. So brace yourself. :)

    Doc

    Dr. Mercury, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Danny Deger

    Pompey© Guest

    Hi
    If I just wanted to convert a d/loaded avi of 700,000 kb to watch on TV
    via a stand alone DVD player what would be the best thing to convert it
    to..vcd or DVD?
    ta Kim

    Pompey©, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Danny Deger

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:34:07 -0500, "Danny Deger"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Danny Deger" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > I'm not sure what you're trying to do, Dr. Mercury's suggestions, as
    > were mine, concerns what to do with an AVI file once it's captured.
    > To capture an AVI use VirtualDub or some other software that will join
    > files seamlessly and use your choice of codec. So, capture using
    > Huf-YUV for video, PCM UNCOMPRESSED audio, - never ever capture audio
    > to a compresed format like MP3 or asf or MP2 -. The audio and video
    > files should be separate, so feed them to Tmpeg as Dr. Mercury
    > suggests, not to "tools" but in the regular file input box at the
    > bottom of the main Tmpeg window.

    Let me give you my history. My goal is to as simply as possible turn my
    home camcorder videos into DVDs. Ideally I would like a two steps (I don't
    even need menus):
    1. capture
    2. burn

    With all else taken care of automatically/simply. The Roxio software that
    came with my DVD burner does this, but will only record 1 hour of high
    quality video. I did some research and found out that other software can
    give me 2 hours. Apperently the difference is compressed vs. uncompressed
    audio.

    So used Roxio to capture the AVI file, and TMPGEnc to encode, but found
    video/audio sync problems. I am going to try a couple of other capture
    software options I have (I have about 6) to see if I can capture to AVI,
    the encode with TMPGEnc. My understanding is that this should work. If I
    don't have any success, I will try VirtualDub.

    I do appreciate everyone's help. This is a great news group. I haven't
    been flamed once.

    Danny Deger
    Danny Deger, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Danny Deger

    Dan Maas Guest

    Assuming your audio and video are in sync when played as an AVI, the
    problem could be a frame rate mis-match. When TMPGEnc encodes MPEG
    streams it uses the real video rate (30/1.001 for NTSC or 25 for PAL).
    However some AVI editing programs screw this up (e.g. by assuming NTSC
    is exactly 30.00 or 29.97). If this is the case, then the audio will
    sync when played in the AVI, but not in the MPEG, since the frame
    rates are slightly different.

    Regards,
    Dan

    Larry S. Horwitz, Sep 22, 2003