Tmpgenc clean install problems, unsupported type

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by clay, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. clay

    clay Guest

    I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I usually
    did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
    different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp onto
    the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.

    On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
    convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
    faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
    svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
    both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
    about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
    most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.

    But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
    dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
    cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
    other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.

    I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
    Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
    and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.

    Please help

    clay, Oct 5, 2004

  2. clay

    andre Guest

    clay wrote:
    > I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I usually
    > did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
    > different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp onto
    > the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
    >
    > On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
    > convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
    > faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
    > svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
    > both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
    > about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
    > most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
    >
    > But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
    > dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
    > cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
    > other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
    >
    > I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
    > Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
    > and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
    >
    > Please help

    Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
    Tsunami). They should include everything you need.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Oct 6, 2004

  3. andre wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I
    >> usually
    >> did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
    >> different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp
    >> onto
    >> the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
    >>
    >> On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
    >> convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
    >> faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
    >> svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
    >> both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
    >> about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
    >> most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
    >>
    >> But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
    >> dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
    >> cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
    >> other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
    >>
    >> I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
    >> Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
    >> and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
    >>
    >> Please help

    > Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
    > Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
    >
    > Andre

    No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
    programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that can
    be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?

    This is killing me.

    Roger Kirkland, Oct 6, 2004
  4. clay

    andre Guest

    Roger Kirkland wrote:
    > andre wrote:
    >
    >> clay wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I
    >>> usually
    >>> did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
    >>> different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp
    >>> onto
    >>> the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
    >>>
    >>> On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
    >>> convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
    >>> faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
    >>> svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
    >>> both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process
    >>> takes
    >>> about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for
    >>> the
    >>> most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
    >>>
    >>> But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
    >>> dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported
    >>> and
    >>> cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
    >>> other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would
    >>> work. Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a
    >>> clean install
    >>> and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
    >>>
    >>> Please help

    >> Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
    >> Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
    >>
    >> Andre
    >>

    > No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
    > programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that can
    > be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?
    >
    > This is killing me.

    Oh. Now i got it. The bin is actually a disc image. So i am not
    surprised TMPG won't read it. Get a program like WinISO or something
    that can extract bin. Or you simply burn it using Nero or something
    else. I don't know if you had something on your old partition that
    treated a bin like an archive (e.g. zip).

    Andre
    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Oct 7, 2004
  5. andre wrote:
    > Roger Kirkland wrote:
    >
    >> andre wrote:

    >>> Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo
    >>> or Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
    >>>
    >>> Andre
    >>>

    >> No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
    >> programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that
    >> can be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?
    >>
    >> This is killing me.

    > Oh. Now i got it. The bin is actually a disc image. So i am not
    > surprised TMPG won't read it. Get a program like WinISO or something
    > that can extract bin. Or you simply burn it using Nero or something
    > else. I don't know if you had something on your old partition that
    > treated a bin like an archive (e.g. zip).
    >
    > Andre

    No, first i use svcd2dvd, this used vcdgear to rip it to mpg, then it
    alters the audio and fakes out the video headers. This makes the movie
    no more compadible than the old 2-cd way. But if i take the mpg's that
    it produces, and then run THEM thru tmpgenc, it converts the video as
    well. then i run the 2 huge mpgs thru svcd2dvd again to have it make it
    into the audio and video folders then i burn it with nero

    Roger Kirkland, Oct 7, 2004