    retlaw Guest

    When I boot up in XP Pro I Get "TLDR is missing" Press C,A, Del to restart.
    on the boot up screen. Any ideas?

    retlaw, Mar 28, 2010

  2. that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is corrupted.
    The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
    then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 28, 2010

  3. retlaw

    James Kosin Guest

    On 3/28/2010 1:46 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is
    > corrupted. The best solution is to do a repair install with the original
    > XP CD, and then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

    Also, best to run a virus checker .... most viruses can attack this file
    and repairing will only allow the virus to spread if not contained.

    James

    James Kosin, Mar 28, 2010
  4. retlaw

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Mar 28, 2010
  5. retlaw

    Guest

    In <>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> writes:
    >that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is corrupted.
    >The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
    >then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

    I did a repair install and was disappointed to see that obsolete and erroneous
    keys were left in the Windows registry. So are you being conservative in
    suggesting reapplication of service packs and updates?

    , Mar 29, 2010
  6. retlaw

    Kerry Brown Guest

    First thing to check is "Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive?". Next
    make sure you have a good backup then boot to the recovery console from your
    installation media and run chkdsk /p

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Mar 29, 2010
  7. No, not conservative at all. A repair install will retain the registry, but
    replace the binaries. So you need to re-apply any updates or SPs to update
    the binaries. The whole reason the registry is retained is to preserve all
    settings and installed applications.

    To get to a clean system with a "virgin" registry, you need to do a clean
    install and reinstall your applications. There again, of course, you'll
    still need to apply any and all patches, updates and service packs that
    might apply.

    There are other issues with a Repair Install, the principle one being that
    in some cases it will not remove all malware. But if you've managed to get
    rid of the malware already, it can definitely help repair the damage left
    behind.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 30, 2010
  8. retlaw

    Guest

    In <>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> writes:

    Thanks Charlie. I am the victim of a poorly designed application which exhorted
    me to upgrade online, instead of by hard DVD media, then sent down
    additional functionality for Windows, but I have no record of what it was,
    whether it overwrote existing binaries or was additional, and no hard copy from
    which to rebuild my system.

    >No, not conservative at all. A repair install will retain the registry, but
    >replace the binaries. So you need to re-apply any updates or SPs to update
    >the binaries. The whole reason the registry is retained is to preserve all
    >settings and installed applications.
    >
    >To get to a clean system with a "virgin" registry, you need to do a clean
    >install and reinstall your applications. There again, of course, you'll
    >still need to apply any and all patches, updates and service packs that
    >might apply.
    >
    >There are other issues with a Repair Install, the principle one being that
    >in some cases it will not remove all malware. But if you've managed to get
    >rid of the malware already, it can definitely help repair the damage left
    >behind.
    >
    >--
    >Charlie.
    >http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >> In <>, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    >> <> writes:
    >>>that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is
    >>>corrupted.
    >>>The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
    >>>then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

    >> I did a repair install and was disappointed to see that obsolete and
    >> erroneous
    >> keys were left in the Windows registry. So are you being conservative in
    >> suggesting reapplication of service packs and updates?

    , Mar 30, 2010