    Are jumbo frames or increased window size options. Obviously the
    systems in question would need to support these features as well.

    Keith

    Keith B., Dec 28, 2003

  2. When we increased the BUFPOOLSIZE on the TSM server from 16MB to 132MB, the
    transfer rate was seriously increased

    So depending on how much memory your TSM server has, try to increase this
    value.

    This was what my TSM Guru once told me, when we had these problem on
    Fastethernet Backup NIC's

    But jumbo frames would give you some lift aswell, if the TSM Server can cope
    with it.

    HTH

    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Keith B.

    shope Guest

    "Keith B." <> wrote in message
    > We have a Cisco 6500 switch that is isolated (no routers attached) and
    > dedicated to backup and restoration of system servers. Just about all
    > of our servers (NT/2000 and unix) have a dedicated NIC to this
    > isolated network. Also, most of the NIC's are fiber and copper GIG
    > Ethernet.
    >
    > Since the switch is about the only "network" bottleneck (relatively
    > speaking), are there any additional features that can be implemented
    > to optimize transfer throughput. Standard Ethernet frames are
    > currently used.

    the performance you get depends on the hardware config.

    set up the 6509 hardware to use a fabric if the backplane may be a
    bottleneck (32 Gbps and 15 M frames / sec). you will need a supervisor 2 to
    do this.

    i suspect that your interfaces to your backup server(s) actually limit the
    overall traffic flow, so that the fabric would be overkill.

    > Are jumbo frames or increased window size options. Obviously the
    > systems in question would need to support these features as well.

    the switch will handle 9.something Kbyte frames. so, as long as your
    attached devices can support it, it should improve throughput.

    Given what you are doing enabling jumbo frames on the switch shouldnt cause
    major issues even if some of your machines cant use jumbo frames - the only
    side effect is that the number of switch buffers will go down, but you are
    unlikely to be stressing that with just locally attached servers, and most
    devices running at the same speeds.

    window size - the switch doesnt really care - there will just be a few more
    frames flowing through.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Dec 28, 2003