    does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now, the
    ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy movies to pc
    and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it or something?
    Diehard, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
    > the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
    > movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
    > or something?

    It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
    TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
    to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
    days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
    this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
    already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    > Diehard wrote:
    > > does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
    > > the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
    > > movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
    > > or something?

    > It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    > essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
    > TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
    > to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
    > days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
    > this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
    > already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    Tivo, $99 but i work for best buy so cheaper. directivo. i won't have cable
    tv or anything only directv so a computer card won't do any good. but anyway
    i got all my info i need from elsewhere.
    Diehard, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Night_Seer wrote:
    > Diehard wrote:
    >
    >>does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
    >>the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
    >>movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
    >>or something?

    > It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    > essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
    > TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
    > to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
    > days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
    > this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
    > already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.

    Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the office,
    which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants the
    capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me) having a
    habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last makes one of
    my requirements for this that it be a separate system. Preferably not
    even networked although *maybe* I can keep from 'borrowing' that unused
    disk space even if it is networked.

    Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
    though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
    computers.
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    > Night_Seer wrote:
    >> Diehard wrote:
    >>
    >>> does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store
    >>> now, the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can
    >>> copy movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you
    >>> hack it or something?

    >> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    >> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
    >> connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
    >> your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
    >> price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
    >> $219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
    >> well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
    >> an answer for you...sorry.
    >>

    > Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
    > office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
    > the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
    > having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
    > makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
    > Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
    > 'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
    >
    > Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
    > though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
    > computers.

    My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
    room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
    totally understand all your objections.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Diehard wrote:
    >>> does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store
    >>> now, the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can
    >>> copy movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you
    >>> hack it or something?

    >> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    >> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
    >> connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
    >> your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
    >> price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
    >> $219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
    >> well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
    >> an answer for you...sorry.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > Tivo, $99 but i work for best buy so cheaper. directivo. i won't have
    > cable tv or anything only directv so a computer card won't do any
    > good. but anyway i got all my info i need from elsewhere.

    So is it possible or not? BTW they also make satelite PC
    cards...haven't looked, tried or even glimpsed, so I know nothing about
    them.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Night_Seer wrote:
    > Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    >
    >>Night_Seer wrote:

    >>>It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
    >>>essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
    >>>connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
    >>>your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
    >>>price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
    >>>$219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
    >>>well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
    >>>an answer for you...sorry.
    >>>

    >>Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
    >>office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
    >>the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
    >>having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
    >>makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
    >>Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
    >>'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
    >>
    >>Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
    >>though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
    >>computers.

    > My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
    > room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
    > totally understand all your objections.

    Projector's a neat idea-maybe even compelling enough to make me change
    my mind. I use one at work but, for some reason, never even thought of
    using it for TV. Thanks!
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 17, 2003
  8. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    > Night_Seer wrote:
    >> Calvin Crumrine wrote:

    >>> Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
    >>> office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
    >>> the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
    >>> having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
    >>> makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
    >>> Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
    >>> 'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
    >>> though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
    >>> computers.

    >> My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
    >> room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
    >> totally understand all your objections.
    >>

    > Projector's a neat idea-maybe even compelling enough to make me change
    > my mind. I use one at work but, for some reason, never even thought of
    > using it for TV. Thanks!

    There's a whole website devoted to HTPC's and projectors...now I gotta
    check at home to find the URL...goes from about $1000 dollars all the
    way up to...well you know...

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 18, 2003