Title of Filme Noire: Platinum Heist

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Java Jive, Sep 7, 2013.

  1. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.

    It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    countryside.

    It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme
    Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's story "Un Reglement
    Des Comptes" ("A Settling Of Accounts"). Or at least it's not the
    2007 version, which I have recently watched; I haven't seen the 1966
    version since around the time in question, but that too seems to be a
    different story, though very possibly from the same author:

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320510/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

    Java Jive, Sep 7, 2013

  2. Java Jive

    Davey Guest

    On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:08:26 +0100
    Java Jive <> wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    > that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.
    >
    > It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    > hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    > countryside.
    >
    > It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme
    > Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's story "Un Reglement
    > Des Comptes" ("A Settling Of Accounts"). Or at least it's not the
    > 2007 version, which I have recently watched; I haven't seen the 1966
    > version since around the time in question, but that too seems to be a
    > different story, though very possibly from the same author:
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320510/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

    Maybe:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057549/

    --
    Davey.

    Davey, Sep 7, 2013

  3. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    Thanks for the link, but I can't tell from the one review whether it's
    the film I remember. Do you happen to know if it contains a platinum
    heist out in the countryside?

    Java Jive, Sep 7, 2013
  4. Java Jive

    Davey Guest

    On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 17:14:44 +0100
    Java Jive <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the link, but I can't tell from the one review whether it's
    > the film I remember. Do you happen to know if it contains a platinum
    > heist out in the countryside?
    >
    > On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:13 +0100, Davey <>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Maybe:
    > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057549/

    No idea, sorry. There are many of his films described, but none of them
    show up for 'platinum'!

    Good Luck anyway.

    --
    Davey.

    Davey, Sep 7, 2013
  5. Java Jive

    harryagain Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    > that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.
    >
    > It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    > hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    > countryside.
    >
    > It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme
    > Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's story "Un Reglement
    > Des Comptes" ("A Settling Of Accounts"). Or at least it's not the
    > 2007 version, which I have recently watched; I haven't seen the 1966
    > version since around the time in question, but that too seems to be a
    > different story, though very possibly from the same author:
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320510/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Giovanni#Works
    Any good?

    harryagain, Sep 7, 2013
  6. Java Jive

    harryagain Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    > that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.
    >
    > It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    > hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    > countryside.
    >
    > It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme
    > Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's story "Un Reglement
    > Des Comptes" ("A Settling Of Accounts"). Or at least it's not the
    > 2007 version, which I have recently watched; I haven't seen the 1966
    > version since around the time in question, but that too seems to be a
    > different story, though very possibly from the same author:

    1966 version here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R938-WaTn8

    harryagain, Sep 7, 2013
  7. Java Jive

    Phil L Guest

    Java Jive wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    > that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.
    >
    > It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    > hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    > countryside.
    >
    > It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme
    > Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's story "Un Reglement
    > Des Comptes" ("A Settling Of Accounts"). Or at least it's not the
    > 2007 version, which I have recently watched; I haven't seen the 1966
    > version since around the time in question, but that too seems to be a
    > different story, though very possibly from the same author:
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0320510/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

    'The Mystery Of The Floating Turd' 1967

    HTH

    Phil L, Sep 7, 2013
  8. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    Java Jive, Sep 7, 2013
  9. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    Java Jive, Sep 7, 2013
  10. Java Jive

    John Dean Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles
    > that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years.
    >
    > It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals
    > hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous
    > countryside.

    Once a Thief?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059540/combined

    It's not in French but has a French star and this ...

    http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?_r=1&res=9901E5D91130E23ABC4153DFBF66838E679EDE

    .... confirms it's about platinum theft.

    --
    John Dean

    John Dean, Sep 8, 2013
  11. Java Jive

    Derek F Guest

    On 07/09/2013 17:14, Java Jive wrote:
    > Thanks for the link, but I can't tell from the one review whether it's
    > the film I remember. Do you happen to know if it contains a platinum
    > heist out in the countryside?
    >
    > On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:13 +0100, Davey <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe:
    >> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057549/

    Do you remember who was in it?
    I used to love French Gangster Movies where everyone died in the final
    shoot out. Alain Delon was often in ones like that.
    Derek

    Derek F, Sep 8, 2013
  12. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the one I remember is in French and set in
    France.

    Java Jive, Sep 8, 2013
  13. Java Jive

    Java Jive Guest

    I now think it's the 1966 version of "Le Deuxieme Souffle" directed by
    Jean-Pierre Melville. There are one or two tenuous pieces of evidence
    to support this:

    + I remember people being shot in the back of fast moving cars,
    and this happens also in the 2007 version.

    + This paragraph is from an essay on the film.

    http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/703=essay

    "Like many of Melville’s films, Le deuxième souffle pivots on a
    dazzling set piece that relies upon these qualities of observation,
    varied perspectives, and an almost documentary-like rendering of
    actions. This central heist sequence is a study in contrast. Whereas
    most of the film is defined by its cramped and dank interiors, or the
    minimalist gaudiness of some apartment and nightclub settings, the
    heist is staged in a vast, windswept, and elemental environment that
    almost seems to visibly shock the gang."

    + This still from the DVD seems to be from the start of the
    heist, picking off the motorcycle outriders.

    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9471/62478296qh2.jpg

    Java Jive, Sep 8, 2013