  1. will this amazing documentary about a mental imstitution ever comign to DVD
    (hello Criterion/Anchor Bay?). I saw it on PBS probably 15 years ago, and it's
    never been on video or laserdisc.
    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Vlvetmorning98

    Vance Young Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > will this amazing documentary about a mental imstitution ever comign to

    DVD
    > (hello Criterion/Anchor Bay?). I saw it on PBS probably 15 years ago, and

    it's
    > never been on video or laserdisc.

    It would be wonderful to have all those Frederick Wiseman documentaries
    available on DVD. I saw them twenty years ago as part of a college course.

    I don't know who holds the rights, but perhaps the New Studio Group will
    someday release them as titles in its new "DocuRama" series. They have a
    fairly impressive and diverse catalogue of titles, including several titles
    that
    I thought I might never see again.

    Vance
    Vance Young, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Vlvetmorning98

    Jim Hollis Guest

    When this film came out the State of Masschussetts sued the filmaker, the
    company and so on. Part of the settlement was that it could not be shown in
    public and could only be shown to legitimate mental health organizations for
    teaching puroses only. Hence, unless this has changed there probably will
    never be any video release.

    Jim Hollis, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Vlvetmorning98

    John Savard Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:57:07 -0600, "Jim Hollis"
    <> wrote, in part:

    >When this film came out the State of Masschussetts sued the filmaker, the
    >company and so on. Part of the settlement was that it could not be shown in
    >public and could only be shown to legitimate mental health organizations for
    >teaching puroses only. Hence, unless this has changed there probably will
    >never be any video release.

    And another film lost - this one, lost _to_ educational use - was
    "Death in the West", this time because of a lawsuit by a cigarette
    company.

    John Savard
    John Savard, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    <> wrote, in part:

    >When this film came out the State of Masschussetts sued the filmaker, the
    >company and so on. Part of the settlement was that it could not be shown in
    >public and could only be shown to legitimate mental health organizations for
    >teaching puroses only. Hence, unless this has changed there probably will
    >never be any video release.

    The ban on the film ended in 1992, according to one web site.

    John Savard
    John Savard, Feb 25, 2004
  6. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, John Savard wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:57:07 -0600, "Jim Hollis"
    > <> wrote, in part:
    >
    > >When this film came out the State of Masschussetts sued the filmaker, the
    > >company and so on. Part of the settlement was that it could not be shown in
    > >public and could only be shown to legitimate mental health organizations for
    > >teaching puroses only. Hence, unless this has changed there probably will
    > >never be any video release.

    > The ban on the film ended in 1992, according to one web site.

    That's roughly the time that I taped it off of WGBH, the Boston PBS
    station.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Feb 27, 2004
  7. "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote in message
    ..

    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, John Savard wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:57:07 -0600, "Jim Hollis"
    > > <> wrote, in part:
    > >
    > > >When this film came out the State of Masschussetts sued the filmaker,

    the
    > > >company and so on. Part of the settlement was that it could not be

    shown in
    > > >public and could only be shown to legitimate mental health

    organizations for
    > > >teaching puroses only. Hence, unless this has changed there probably

    will
    > > >never be any video release.

    > > The ban on the film ended in 1992, according to one web site.

    > That's roughly the time that I taped it off of WGBH, the Boston PBS
    > station.
    >
    > swac

    Yes, it did end in 1992. And it was agreed that it would be aired once on
    WGBH.

    There was also a part of the ban that said that colleges could have a copy.
    I worked at a college and they did have a copy of this film. It was
    produced in the 80s, so it was in the college during the years it was
    banned.

    When I saw the title, I just had to read, since the movie was made about 3
    miles from where I am :)
    Anonymous Joe, Feb 29, 2004