Tiscali overcharging for superseded services

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ajmerphull@gmail.com, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I signed up with Tiscali at the start of 2004 to their 156k free
    connection and modem package offer. Later in June 2004, I upgraded to
    the 512k unlimited connection at £24.99.

    The start of 2005 saw Tiscali drop their prices for the 512k connection
    to £17.99 and provide a 1Mb unlimited connection at £24.99 (the price
    i was paying for 512k).

    I would have expected to either be automatically upgraded to the 1Mb
    connection, or have my monthly charges dropped to £17.99, but neither
    happened. I was being charged for 1Mb connection but only getting 512k
    connection.

    Again, Tiscali have reduced the price of their fastest internet
    connection from £24.99 to £17.99 for an increased connection speed
    from 1Mb to 2Mb, but i have still been charged £24.99 for a 1Mb
    connection and this has continued for several months.

    This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
    them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
    services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
    organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
    informed!

    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. Kenny Guest

    I started off with Wanadoo 512KB at £17.99pm then for a one off payment of
    £20 moved to 1MB then the £20 again to move to 2MB and still £17.99pm.
    Never a single problem and I often go WAY over the supposed 2GB monthly cap
    and after 15 months have never been warned or charged extra.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
    > them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
    > services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
    > organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
    > informed!

    I think they call that capitalism. Anyway, get this, cable in my area
    is $39/month so we put off getting it for years but kept getting all
    these sales calls. One day comcast calls and said if we sign up we can
    get our first 2 years for $19/month so my wife said OK.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
    >>them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
    >>services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
    >>organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
    >>informed!

    > I think they call that capitalism. Anyway, get this, cable in my area
    > is $39/month so we put off getting it for years but kept getting all
    > these sales calls. One day comcast calls and said if we sign up we can
    > get our first 2 years for $19/month so my wife said OK.

    Watch the billing *very* carefully, and keep ALL paperwork including
    ads that prove their claim to that $19/month.
    Then, very carefully at the 23rd month give them 30+ days notice of
    termination, and if you paid by credit card, *cancel* the card and get a
    new one - and keep all proof of that as well.
    It is possible that you may have "fun" in a small claims court
    concerning breach of contract on their part, and/or concerning bank
    fraud and credit card fraud (i believe the venue for those is Federal
    District Court).

    Robert Baer, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Watch the billing *very* carefully, and keep ALL paperwork including
    > ads that prove their claim to that $19/month.

    Ah, my wife is in charge of that bill. NO way anybody takes advantage of
    her money :)

    > Then, very carefully at the 23rd month give them 30+ days notice of
    > termination, and if you paid by credit card, *cancel* the card and get a
    > new one - and keep all proof of that as well.

    I'ts been over a year, I think we're in the 14th month. So far so good.

    Plato, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Jim Berwick Guest

    wrote in news:1127935666.709517.118260
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
    > them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
    > services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
    > organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
    > informed!

    Surely you read all the paperwork and agreements, right? Have you tried
    calling them and seeing if they will give you a credit and correct the
    service you are paying for?

    Jim Berwick, Oct 2, 2005