  1. Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
    64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
    version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jun 30, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
    from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
    current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005

  3. I have a second drive that i use for storage, can i remove the power to the
    main drive and make the other drive a master and then install 32-bit version
    of xp on there?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jun 30, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Sure but remove both the power and the data cables. An unpowered drive

    Intel_Fan, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Hello,
    It may be better to not delete the partition. If you delete the partition,
    you have to create a new partition before formatting.
    Since the drive letter was used with the old partition, when you create the
    new partition, it will get the next available drive letter not the previous
    drive letter of the old partition. Drive letters are not re-enumerated
    during this process so the old drive or the initial partition is not used.
    it will get a new drive letter like F: since there are two drives and
    cd-rom I presume.
    Simplify formatting the partition should take care of the issue and
    preserve the drive lettering.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <Subject: Re: Tired with 64-bit version
    <Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:37:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
    <from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
    <current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 30, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want to keep x64, why don't you just leave it the way it is set up.
    You can select the other drive to install on when offered during the
    install. Since you will be installing x86 after x64, you should make copies
    of the ntldr ntdetect.com before you install x86 and then replace them on
    the boot drive after the install. Then you can check the boot.ini in system
    properties and set it to boot to the system you want.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Ah, that explains much. I actually thought it re-enumerated them. Thanks for
    the clarification (and it explains a couple of machines that boot into "H:"
    or it's equivalent.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Why don't you just install the x86 to the second drive as is ?

    This will give you a x86/x64 dual-boot setup -- and as soon as the issues
    with the x64 are resolved, you can remove the x86 version by deleting the
    folders and editing the boot.ini, leaving you with the x64 only - unless
    you're using the trial version of the x64, and don't have a full copy yet ?

    Apart from the current drivers issues, language issues, and availability
    issues, there's really very little reason NOT to use the x64 IMO, it's
    simply a better OS overall... if you can eventually obtain the drivers you
    need, the needed MUI package, and of course the RTM CD, why not just try
    and stick with it ?

    Julian Lord [PROneTworks], Jun 30, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Me, too!

    After lots of hassles which are too much to go into here, my 32-bit WinXP is
    now in U:\Windows. :>( And that's even though both C: and D: are unused in
    that installation.

    Oh, well. If it bugs me too much before time to retire 32-bit permanently,
    I guess I can repartition/reformat that HD as I clean install 32-bit AGAIN.
    So far, I've used the in-place upgrade - to preserve installed apps,
    drivers, settings, etc. - but that obviously does not repartition/reformat,
    so I'm still stuck with whatever letters the enumeration process finds
    pre-assigned for my System Partition and Boot Volume.

    Thanks for that tidbit, Darrell.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2005
  10. R. C. White wrote:

    > After lots of hassles which are too much to go into here, my 32-bit WinXP is
    > now in U:\Windows. :>( And that's even though both C: and D: are unused in
    > that installation.

    Once a partition has a drive letter, it gets to keep it, imho. And if
    there is a conflict, Windows changes one of the conflicting letters on
    boot up.

    I would try to solve that, since there is quite an amount of software
    around that wants to write to C:.

    If you want to install again, make sure that you delete the partition.
    Partition Magic, Knoppix, BootItNG etc should do the job.

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jun 30, 2005
  11. I just got a usb wireless adapter that won't work on 64-bit xp because the
    company hasn't made any 64-bit drivers. plus a few games that won't work on
    64-bit version. I have found a few ways to get around it, but don't want to
    have to deal with it every single time.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jun 30, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Thomas.

    > Once a partition has a drive letter, it gets to keep it, imho.

    Maybe. Depends on HOW it got the letter. As I understand it (and I hope
    Darrell or somebody corrects any misunderstanding), the BIOS originally
    assigns drive letters. Then when WinXP loads, it reassigns them according
    to its own rules. And the WinXP rules are different from Win9x and other
    earlier versions of Windows. (See KB articles 51978, 234048 and others,
    plus the WinXP Pro Resource Kit for details.)

    If we assign specific letters with Disk Management, WinXP will attempt to
    use those same letters on each reboot. Drives not specifically assigned,
    though, may be reassigned letters based on the configuration detected each
    time WinXP is started.

    When dual-booting, the drive letters are assigned in EACH Registry. So,
    when I boot into WinXP x64, C: is my System Partition and D: is my Boot
    Volume. But when I reboot into 32-bit WinXP, C: and D: are not assigned at
    all. X64 has no idea how the drives are lettered in 32-bit WinXP.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Can anyone help me with the dual boot with my 2 drives? What do i need to do?
    I want 64-bit on one drive and 32-bit on the other drive until there is more
    support for 64-bit applications.

    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jun 30, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you give some details (motherboard, chipset, type of drivers etc) about
    your system and how it is set up now it will be more accurate information
    that can be supplied.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Sposda <> wrote in:

    > Can anyone help me with the dual boot with my 2 drives? What do i need
    > to do? I want 64-bit on one drive and 32-bit on the other drive until
    > there is more support for 64-bit applications.

    Sure. You should first install XP on the C: drive since it's the one you'll
    be using mostly, then install X64 on the D: (or whatever drive it is) second.

    X64 will automatically create a boot menu for you so when you start your
    computer you'll be offered the choice of which OS to boot. Just remember to
    install the oldest OS first and the newest OS last.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 1, 2005
  16. You should be disconnecting all other drives (except optical drives),
    including removable and zip drives. They cause drive letter creep too.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  17. R. C. White wrote:

    > Maybe. Depends on HOW it got the letter. As I understand it (and I hope
    > Darrell or somebody corrects any misunderstanding), the BIOS originally
    > assigns drive letters.

    Actually, the BIOS only deals with complete drives (ambiguously called
    C:, D: etc in the BIOS). "Drive letters" on the other hand actually
    correspond to partitions. The order of drivers can affect the order of
    partitions, but that is very OS specific.

    > Then when WinXP loads, it reassigns them according
    > to its own rules. And the WinXP rules are different from Win9x and other
    > earlier versions of Windows.

    Yes. Also the mechanism used is different between FAT32 and NTFS, which
    may lead to a few more strange "features".

    > If we assign specific letters with Disk Management, WinXP will attempt to
    > use those same letters on each reboot. Drives not specifically assigned,
    > though, may be reassigned letters based on the configuration detected each
    > time WinXP is started.

    I think NTFS partitions always get a permanent driver letter assigned
    when they are used.

    > When dual-booting, the drive letters are assigned in EACH Registry. So,
    > when I boot into WinXP x64, C: is my System Partition and D: is my Boot
    > Volume. But when I reboot into 32-bit WinXP, C: and D: are not assigned at
    > all.

    Hm, that is not how it should work. I though the drive letter is stored
    in the partition, and the registry is only used in case of
    conflicts/ambiguities.

    > X64 has no idea how the drives are lettered in 32-bit WinXP.

    If that is true, this is the strangest system I have every seen.

    PS: Drive letters should die. However, you have to understand that drive
    letters are the only symbolic links (a UNIX concept) that Windows can
    offer. So you cannot do without drive letters unless you provide an
    alternative implementation of symbolic links.

    PPS: I hate it when ppl say "the document is on drive P:" -- Sure, just
    go to http://localhost/, and it is right there :)

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jul 1, 2005
  18. I have a msi k8nneo4 platinum, amd 64 3200+, 120gb drive and 250gb drive, 1gb
    of ram.

    Last couple of days i was trying to remove 64-bit windows by formating, but
    i'm not yet succesful at it. Don't have 1.44mb disk drive, can't make boot
    disk, because i have a usb flash drive (can i boot from usb flash?), so can't
    get to Dos without going through windows, which won't allow me to format the
    drive. I can get the computer to boot from the cd-rom, but only the 64-bit xp
    cd-rom, which installs intself again, which i stop when it begins because i
    figure it won't help me at all. I suppose i need to get to Dos to format C:,
    but not sure how. I'd be happy with a 32-bit version of xp, but to dual boot,
    i heard you need to install the 32 bit version firrst, then the 64-bit
    version.

    Any help appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jul 2, 2005
  19. Yes, in general the oldest version of Windows should be installed first.
    Have you tried bootdisk.com for a bootable floppy with fdisk on it?

    You should fdisk the drive using the boot floppy to remove the partition and
    then start the XP installation from the XP cd and format the hard drive with
    the Windows XP installer at the appropriate point in the installation.

    There are bootdisk images for many flavors of Windows on bootdisk.com, but I
    suggest a Win98 bootdisk. Download the image to your desktop, put a blank
    formatted floppy in A: and doubleclick the bootdisk icon. It runs a
    makedisk program.

    The reason you can't get to DOS through Windows is that there is no DOS on
    Win 2000, XP, or 2003 Server computers. The DOS-like commands are
    emulations of the old DOS commands for scripting purposes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2005
  20. Unfortunately, i do not have a floppy drive. Can i get the file from boot
    disk, burn it on a disk, will it do the same thing? I can get the windows xp
    64-bit cd-rom to boot, but not the xp 32-bit (I get the blue screen when i
    try)

    BTW - Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=, Jul 2, 2005