tips

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by J. Q. Etuo, MSCE 2003, A+ 2003, May 19, 2004.

  1. Hi MikeT,
    I'm pasting something I wrote in a similar thread:
    "
    If you are in the
    U.S. taking the English version of the tests,
    they will be linear.
    That means you will be able to go over the 80 questions
    as much as you like until your 90 minutes runs out.
    The current U.S. English versions of the test are:
    '220-301: A+ 2003 Linear Core Hardware Exam'
    &
    '220-302: A+ 2003 Linear OS Technologies Exam'

    Try to take your time reading the questions carefully,
    but don't take much time answering them on the first pass.
    There will be a check box available at the top of every
    screen to mark the question for review.
    Taking time to read and reread the
    question carefully will help avoid incorrectly
    answering the questions simply due to missing a double negative
    (such as 'which of these is not unnecessary...') or overlooking the
    'check all that apply' instruction.
    However, when it comes to pondering which answer is best,
    give yourself the luxury of spare time and try to pick
    an answer quickly on the first pass.
    One of many reasons for this is that often a later question will reveal
    useful information or at least jog your memory with regard to
    some earlier point.

    Mark for Review any question you have any
    unsettling feeling about even if you think you answered it correctly
    but found something in its wording that seemed weird.
    Often on the second or third pass you'll discover that the question
    is using misleading phrases to try to throw you off the topic.
    Don't despair if you seem to be marking a lot of questions for
    review on the first pass. Even with careful reading there's no reason
    you can't answer all 80 questions with your best
    guess in just over an hour.
    That'll leave you at least 20 minutes to carefully consider the marked
    questions again.

    Most questions make no mention of 'Pick two' or 'Choose all that apply' etc.
    For these there is only one best answer.
    If you see a multiple choice response that includes a phrase
    you're unfamiliar with just scrutinize the other responses
    more. Often eliminating bad responses is enough.

    The exam supervisor will check your picture id and at least one other id.
    There will be a legal form to sign and a sign-in book.
    All your 'stuff' should either be left behind (like in your car),
    or you will have to give it to the exam supervisor to lock
    away or hold onto for you. By 'stuff,' in particular, I mean
    electronic items (like cell phones and calculators),
    paper items (notebooks and pads), and most personal items
    that can store stuff (like wallets and purses); though, it's best not to
    try and figure out what might be a possible exception to
    these banned items unless you have a special need
    (like medicine, in which case you should let them know ahead
    of time).

    They will provide you with a clean writing
    surface (paper or wax board) and a writing implement
    (that's right, you can't bring your own pens).
    After taking both tests I can tell you I had no real need for
    the wax sheet they gave me.
    It was reassuring to know I could jot a note or two down,
    but it hardly mattered.
    One practical use for this sheet that I've used on other
    (not Comptia) exams is to quickly jot down some
    important route memory items right at the beginning of the exam.
    These bullet type 'must remember' items are not that
    important on Comptia's exam, but
    you may already be aware from practice tests
    you've taken that there are a couple things that
    you tend to invert or otherwise mix up
    in your memory over and over.
    If it's a short list, you might want to try
    memorizing off a (small) cram sheet
    minutes before the exam; then,
    jot them down on the provided wax sheet just
    after the exam begins.

    Please don't be rattled when a question appears that
    seems to have nothing to do with any part
    of any book you studied.
    Just calmly do your best as always, eliminating the usual
    one or two really bad answers
    then move on. Know that there may be a
    couple of 'experimental' questions on the exam
    that won't even be counted against your
    score, but there is just no way to
    know which questions these are.
    Scoring is a mystery. No one seems to know
    for sure what a score means or how it's determined.
    Apparently, questions that ask for more than one answer
    count more in some way, but I don't really know.
    If all the questions counted the same (let's say they were all valid,
    choose-one, multiple choice questions)
    then a rough, rule-of-thumb, estimate would be that you
    need to get 44 of the 80 questions correct.
    So, you're doing well if you feel dead certain
    about 50 questions. That means even if you mark
    20 to 30 for review, you have an excellent chance
    so long as you budgeted your time well enough to
    really go over those review questions thoroughly.

    Good luck !
    "

    J. Q. Etuo, MSCE 2003, A+ 2003, May 19, 2004