Tips Would Be Appreciated

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Orbit, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Orbit

    Orbit Guest

    Hi,
    I've been watching this site as I've been studying for 70-
    315. I'm a middle-aged, recent (within years) single-mom
    who has been studying computers since my divorce (I was
    a "stay-at-home" mom, & haven't worked in 20
    years...which might sound nice until all of a sudden at
    my age I have to stand on my own & support my kids with
    no work history). I've accumulated some language certs in
    other, (outdated) languages & finally have arrived
    at .NET, which is what I was looking for all along (but
    am self-taught, so had no "career counseling").
    I have been learning the massive amount of info to pass
    this first exam leading to MCSD sitting at my home
    computer (Visual Studio, C# (and darn it Visual
    Basic .NET to learn databases...why is it that most
    learning material on databases are written using
    VB?...ASP.NET, ADO.NET, T-SQL, XML...spending THOUSANDS
    OF DOLLARS on worthless Microsoft Press books & MOC
    books, only to finally find Kalani's, which would be
    independently sufficient...wish someone told me that!)
    not seeing the sunshine (almost) for the last 8 months,
    apart from raising my kids conscienceously. It's amazing
    to read some posts that say it only takes 3 weeks to
    study properly for these exams...I can't even FATHOM
    that.
    Ok, so this whole introduction is leading to my
    questions. I included the intro so you'd know my devotion
    & my desperate need to provide for my kids. I am
    scheduled for the 70-315 exam in about 10 days & I'd like
    to get some of you guy's opinions of how to maximize the
    time left to prepare for the exam.
    What practice exams, sites, whatever, besides Kalani,
    would you all suggest? Are there "chats" or whatever for
    people studying for this exam, to talk with people in the
    same life I'm at...or, is this it? It'd be great for it
    to be more in "real-time"...
    Also, out of curiosity, the people that post to this are
    from what...all over the world?
    Thank you all for reading my long-winded story. All input
    would be greatly appreciated.

    "Orbit"
    Orbit, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Orbit

    Lord2702 Guest

    Hello Orbit,

    Kalani's book is sufficient. Do all the step by step. and al the exercises.
    Time your study, and do all the questions from every chapter, time your
    answers. There are 15-16 q's after each chapter, you should do these in 7 -
    10 mints. and all shld be correct. do it at least 2 - 3 times. once you
    finish your study, take one day gap, and do the practice exam, given at the
    end of book, but before, do the all flash summary, time your exam. As Amit
    mention, if you do 15 - 17 wrong, you shld be ok to take exam. Then proceed
    for the exam given on CD. which is a real exam, even if you did not score
    above 70 - 75 do not disappointed(for this read other people's msgs. on this
    newsgroup), go for the MS exam, and I am sure you will do it.
    About, Visual Basic, and Basic, then I am a C/C++, C# developer, since last
    10 yrs. and I know what you are saying, just think, it is Bill Gates
    favorite computer language. Even if you work, on Visual C++, you will not
    find a single example, on MSDN, all are VB, C#, J#. \"/
    If you want more practice q's. visit the following sites:

    measureUp.com
    Transcender.Com
    http://www.techexams.net/mstechnotes.shtml

    Best Luck to You.
    MCAD (70-316, 70-315, 70-320)

    Lord2702, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Orbit

    Guest Guest

    HEY, THANKS "LORD"!!!!!!!!!! I'll let you know :-D

    Guest, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Orbit

    Maria Guest

    Hello Orbit,

    Don't forget the MSDN site http://msdn.microsoft.com/.
    If you are not already using it, make sure to use the google search engine
    http://www.google.com when you're stuck - many certification-related
    questions have been asked before, and this is an excellent way to find the
    replies!

    Best of luck,
    Maria

    Maria, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Orbit

    Eric Guest

    Orbit wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've been watching this site as I've been studying for 70-
    > 315. I'm a middle-aged, recent (within years) single-mom
    > who has been studying computers since my divorce (I was
    > a "stay-at-home" mom, & haven't worked in 20
    > years...which might sound nice until all of a sudden at
    > my age I have to stand on my own & support my kids with
    > no work history). I've accumulated some language certs in
    > other, (outdated) languages & finally have arrived
    > at .NET, which is what I was looking for all along (but
    > am self-taught, so had no "career counseling").
    > I have been learning the massive amount of info to pass
    > this first exam leading to MCSD sitting at my home
    > computer (Visual Studio, C# (and darn it Visual
    > Basic .NET to learn databases...why is it that most
    > learning material on databases are written using
    > VB?...ASP.NET, ADO.NET, T-SQL, XML...spending THOUSANDS
    > OF DOLLARS on worthless Microsoft Press books & MOC
    > books, only to finally find Kalani's, which would be
    > independently sufficient...wish someone told me that!)
    > not seeing the sunshine (almost) for the last 8 months,
    > apart from raising my kids conscienceously. It's amazing
    > to read some posts that say it only takes 3 weeks to
    > study properly for these exams...I can't even FATHOM
    > that.
    > Ok, so this whole introduction is leading to my
    > questions. I included the intro so you'd know my devotion
    > & my desperate need to provide for my kids. I am
    > scheduled for the 70-315 exam in about 10 days & I'd like
    > to get some of you guy's opinions of how to maximize the
    > time left to prepare for the exam.
    > What practice exams, sites, whatever, besides Kalani,
    > would you all suggest? Are there "chats" or whatever for
    > people studying for this exam, to talk with people in the
    > same life I'm at...or, is this it? It'd be great for it
    > to be more in "real-time"...
    > Also, out of curiosity, the people that post to this are
    > from what...all over the world?
    > Thank you all for reading my long-winded story. All input
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > "Orbit"

    Kalani is very good (there are none better for 70-315), but he has some
    shortcomings.

    1. You need to know how to use XPathNavigator (Kalani's 70-320 book has
    good info on this)

    2. You need to know the basics of Code Access Security (again, Kalani's
    70-320 book has good info on this)

    3. You need to study harder sample questions. I like Transcenders
    myself. Kalani's sample questions are good, but they're easier than the
    actual test questions. They can give you a false sense of confidence.
    If you keep taking the 3 Transcenders tests until you consistantly
    score in the 90's, it will give you a well-earned sense of confidence.
    Don't bother with the Transcender flash card software. If you don't use
    Transcenders, then try MeasureUp.

    I recommend you hold off a little longer to handle the above 3 items. I
    know it doesn't seem right to study the 70-320 book before you go for
    the 70-315, but trust me when I say you'll be happy if you do it this
    way - at least for those 2 specific areas mentioned above.

    The 70-315 test is a very hard test, but you'll feel very good when you
    pass it.

    One last piece of advice - try to get some friends that are into .NET.
    It makes studying easier. You can make frieds easier if you get a
    throw-away email account from msn or yahoo, and post that address here.
    Once you make contact with people who want to help you, you can decide
    if you want to give them your main email address. Don't post you main
    email address here - you'll end up getting a lot of SPAM!

    Good Luck. I admire your drive and motivation.

    Eric
    Eric, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Orbit

    Al Manint Guest

    Well,

    That three week figure comes from dummies like me that assume that everyone
    is already a programmer and has a degree in computer science. I don't know
    how you can get up the gumption to do what you are doing but GOOD LUCK!

    There are tons of posts about how to get positions after you get your
    certification. That is why I'm posting. I'm echoing Eric's sentiments.
    Get out there and meet people. I'm serious. Do you have a .NET users group
    available to you? I'm about to give a presentation to mine and I've made
    TONS of contacts (not that I'm looking for a job but it helps to know as
    many people as possible). I use them to ask about implementations that I
    haven't thought about. You can wow them with your ambition and problem
    solving. I'd rather a person who knows how to solve problems than someone
    who can quote the method call of the DataView object that get all the
    Children of a current record. It's useful but if you don't know where you
    apply it you are useless to me. They can be a springboard for employment
    because we don't want you to go through all this effort and not be able to
    get the job that you want/need to support your family.

    I understand the stresses. I didn't really have to study for the .net exams
    (used it since the alpha releases) but I am getting my MBA at night. I have
    total respect for your courage and wish you all the luck in the world.

    Al Manint, MCSD (VB6), MCSD.NET (C#), MCDBA (7, 2000)
    Al Manint, Apr 26, 2004
  7. Orbit

    Orbit Guest

    Hey thanks, Eric. I just ordered the 70-320 book. I
    appreciate the heads-up.

    Orbit, Apr 26, 2004