Tips for Twin Lite MT-24EX?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mardon, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    Mardon, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mardon wrote:
    >
    > Santa is going to be bringing me a Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX. I'll be
    > using it with an MP-E 65mm, 1-5x, and a EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro. I've looked
    > on the web for tips and found some good ones at:
    > http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-229026.html
    > but I wonder if anyone here has anything to add?

    This site has some info on the MP-E and the MT-24-EX that may be of
    some interest ...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml

    We have both lenses you mention but use the ringflash instead (I think
    MR-14 or similar name).

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > This site has some info on the MP-E and the MT-24-EX that may be of
    > some interest ...
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml
    > We have both lenses you mention but use the ringflash instead (I think
    > MR-14 or similar name).
    > Bill

    Thank you, Bill, for your feedback. Luminous Landscape is a great place.
    As it happens, I had already read the article you referenced. One of the
    things mentioned in it is that the MT-24EX has the "drawback" of creating a
    black background. My understanding, however, is that the MT-24-EX can be
    used with wireless Speedlites to light the background. I have one 580EX
    and one 430EX and tips on how to configure these to work with the MT-24-EX
    are the sorts of things that I'd be very interested in learning.

    Mardon, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mardon wrote:
    >
    > ...the MT-24EX has the "drawback" of creating a
    > black background.

    You only get the black background if you use the flash as the main
    light and the ambient light is much lower. At higher magnifications
    you lose so much light that you often end up having to do this,
    especially if hand-holding, but if you have enough light (or the
    magnification isn't too high) you can simply use the flash as fill and
    in E-TTL mode the camera will take care of balancing the light and you
    can avoid the black background.

    > My understanding, however, is that the MT-24-EX can be
    > used with wireless Speedlites to light the background. I have one 580EX
    > and one 430EX and tips on how to configure these to work with the MT-24-EX
    > are the sorts of things that I'd be very interested in learning.

    I have the manual (the MT-24 and MR-14 ship with a dual manual) so I'll
    take a peek and see what it says about this ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2006
  5. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > I have the manual (the MT-24 and MR-14 ship with a dual manual) so I'll
    > take a peek and see what it says about this ...

    Mardon, I checked this in the manual and it looks practically identical
    to setting up multiple wireless flashes with either the ST-E2 or with a
    flash like the 550EX or 580EX, so there should be no surprises. You
    just have to place the slave(s) within 3 meters outdoors or 5 meters
    indoors and within an 80 degree angle and it sounds like full
    functionality is enabled, ie, FE Lock, exposure compensation, auto
    flash bracketing and high speed sync.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > Mardon, I checked this in the manual and it looks practically
    > identical to setting up multiple wireless flashes with either the
    > ST-E2 or with a flash like the 550EX or 580EX, so there should be no
    > surprises. You just have to place the slave(s) within 3 meters
    > outdoors or 5 meters indoors and within an 80 degree angle and it
    > sounds like full functionality is enabled, ie, FE Lock, exposure
    > compensation, auto flash bracketing and high speed sync.
    > Bill

    Thanks for the feedback, Bill.

    Mardon, Dec 9, 2006