Tips for Shooting High School Wrestling?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pumpkin King, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Pumpkin King

    Pumpkin King Guest

    I've shot a couple thousand frames of football this year, but most of
    my experience has been with macro and landscape pictures with my D60.
    I've had a 1D for the past month or so and am appreciating the
    differences between the two.

    My first thought was that, because this is a sport, the 1D would
    automatically be the machine for the job, but reviewing others'
    pictures online - it doesn't appear that wrestlers are moving very far
    or very fast (have seen some gymnastics examples) and I find myself
    wondering if the extra resolution wouldn't be a better tool than the
    high speed (I doubt these'll be printed larger than 8x10 max). Also
    if you could please share your experience with ideal focal lengths for
    wrestling I'd appreciate it. Am I likely to do okay with a 100mm
    macro or 50mm 1.8 or do I need to look at a 200mm 2.8 (can't afford
    the 1.8) or 135mm f2 for Christmas?

    Are wrestling shots typically shot lying on the floor? It would
    appear so from many of the examples. I'm told I will likely have
    access to get closer than some of the fans, but I've never been to a
    match before so am not sure what to expect other than poor lighting.
    I welcome any other wisdom you might offer.

    TIA.

    -mg / pk

    Pumpkin King, Dec 1, 2003