Tips for Hockey Photography?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mardon, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    This weekend will be my first time photographing a hockey game. It's
    at a relatively new, 6,000 seat stadium which will be nearly full.
    I've been granted access by the team's management, so I'll have my
    choice of shooting locations. My camera is a Canon 20D. My
    available lenses include a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto,
    a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM ultra-wide zoom, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
    USM prime, and a Canon Extender EF 1.4x II. I currently have 2, 1 GB
    SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. I've ordered a 4GB Extreme III but it
    will not be available by Saturday.

    Fortunately, I'm shooting freelance, so I'm not obligated to deliver
    any product but pride is encouraging me to do a good job. I always
    shoot everything in RAW and use PS CS2 for post processing.

    What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
    evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
    use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
    light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
    home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
    the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
    Etc., Etc. ... TIA

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Jason Guest

    All the gear, no idea?

    I'm sorry, but it seems to be very true in this case.

    Jason, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Jason Guest

    Here's a tip. Learn to crawl, walk and run before you enter marathons.

    Jason, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote:

    > Here's a tip. Learn to crawl, walk and run before you enter
    > marathons.

    I think I can crawl and walk OK, so why not try a marathon. The
    only 100% sure way to fail at something is to never try doing it!

    A sample of some of my work is here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/

    Hopefully, I'll get some productive feedback on the hockey shoot.
    In any event, I will be there. I'll post some of the pics from
    the shoot on my website next week; just in case anyone wants to
    see if I was able to finish the marathon or not! :)

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Mardon

    Football Fan Guest

    I would use the 50mm wide open at ISO 3200. Can't go wrong.

    Football Fan, Mar 2, 2006
  6. Mardon

    rafe b Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message

    > A sample of some of my work is here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/

    There's some nice stuff there. I liked "Quidi Valley Slipway."
    You're doing fine. Don't let the bastards get you down :)

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Mar 2, 2006
  7. Mardon

    rugbyphoto Guest

    Good luck with that, Hockey is great to shoot.

    I expect the 1.4 tele can be left in the bag as can the 50mm. It is
    likely that you will only use the 70-200..

    I have had reasonable success shooting from the stands with an f2.8
    lens (F8 at 500 and ISO 800) but it really depends on the arena and how
    well lit it will be. When you are shooting through the glass you have
    to step down to F4 to ensure a sharp image.
    I have also found that my 580EX bounced off the silved arena roof has
    helped too.

    Lastly, be sure to adjust for the lighting and not rely on the auto
    whitebalance, in my 10D that makes a big difference to the end result.

    garry
    www.rugbyphoto.com

    rugbyphoto, Mar 2, 2006
  8. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "rafe b" <> wrote:

    > There's some nice stuff there. I liked "Quidi Valley Slipway."
    > You're doing fine. Don't let the bastards get you down :)

    > rafe b
    > www.terrapinphoto.com

    Thanks, Rafe, for your words of encouragement. No need to fear about
    me "getting down" though. I've been hanging out on Usenet for so
    long that I've developed a pretty think skin. I try to keep my
    answering.

    I don't know if you checked out the "Galleries" item in the menu bar
    of my photo webpage. The sports gallery has photos from a shot that
    I did this past Sunday of X-treme Ski-dooing. I think some of the
    shots came out pretty good, so I'm hoping that the hockey will work
    out OK too. The Ski-doo shots can be seen by going through the
    "galleries" menu item or directly be going to:
    http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/snowmobileraces.htm

    Cheers, Mardon

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Mardon

    Jason Guest

    No offence, but when you have gear like that and ask newbie questions like
    what ISO should you use and whether wide or telephoto shots are more
    interesting, I think you think you have a lot to learn about photography.

    I love your attitude though! And no, I am not being sarcastic.

    The questions you are asking are like asking how fast you can take a corner
    on a racing circuit. The racing driver will know by experience, touch and
    feel at the time. So, learn how to handle your machine and practice as much
    as you can. Learn from your mistakes. There is no magic formula.

    Jason, Mar 2, 2006
  10. Mardon

    bill Guest

    Hi, I'm new to this group but lurk here now and then. I hope the following
    advice will be helpful for you. BTW your website photos are really
    excellent.

    I would get to the game a little early and do a few shots during the warmup
    period and using the histogram make your adjustments accordingly. I sugest
    that you set your white balance also. Shoot as close to the glass as you
    can. I would set the iso to accept a speed of say 1/250 if you use your 200
    mm. I assume you are shooting in manual mode also.

    Bill

    bill, Mar 2, 2006
  11. Mardon

    Ben Guest

    Hi Mardon,

    I've shot a few hockey games this winter, and while I don't claim to
    have all the wrinkles ironed out, I can share my personal experiences.
    BTW, my hockey pix can be seen in my Smugmug galleries at
    http://hodgkins.smugmug.com/Sports/145149 - look at the EXIF data for
    the pictures to see what works and what doesn't.

    I have similar equipment to what you listed - I have the 20D with
    battery grip, the 17-85 IS USM, and the 70-200L f4, although I've
    borrowed my brother's 70-200L 2.8 IS USM.

    The rink is not poorly lit, but I hate the noise I get at ISO 1600, so
    wanted to shoot at 800 or better. So I've been running at least 1
    flash. (In case you're wondering, I've gotten no complaints from the
    players about the flash.) For fast recycling time, I've been running my
    Vivitar 285 at 1/2 power, zoom head in the Normal position, on a
    stroboframe, and the canon 580EX in the hotshoe in auto. I usually run
    EV+1 or so to make up for all the white ice affecting the exposure.

    Basically, I'm shooting as a favor to the team and to practice with my
    equipment. These are high school kids, and the coach is a good friend.
    My first time to the rink I tried shooting thru the glass. Focus wasn't
    a problem, but obviously flash glare was. I moved into the stands. To
    get high enough to shoot over the glass I was running out of zoom with
    the 70-200, and could have used the extender. But then I smartened up.

    I asked my buddy if anyone would have a problem with me either on the
    bench or in the penalty box. He said go for it. The team bench was a
    little wild, but for most games I would have the penalty box to myself.
    If a coach from the other team asked who I was, I'd hand him a card
    with my smugmug info on it, and tell him that there'd be pix of all the
    players there a day or two after the game. Never got any hassle,
    although the refs would sometimes have a "who the hell is this guy"
    look on their faces.

    >From the PB, the 70-200 was great for action on the far side of the

    rink, but too tight for action in my half. Sometimes I'd shoot part of
    the game with the 70-200, and part with the 17-85. Shooting RAW helps
    with color correction and the inevitable exposure issues.

    I went thru flash batteries faster than CF cards, maybe taking 3-400
    shots in game. I start with a 4-gig microdrive and it would get pretty
    full I think. I'd change batteries and the card between periods.
    Speaking of which, high school hockey goes pretty fast - the periods
    are only 12 or 15 minutes (???) and between periods might only be 2
    minutes. They always started either a few minutes early, or right as
    scheduled.

    I was going to try a monopod, but never did. Being right down on the
    ice, I'm swinging the camera around quite a bit, and shooting at 1/125
    or 1/250 - no need, really.

    The rink is cold - i found a heavy sweatshirt over a jersey gave me
    better freedom of motion than a bulky jacket. I didn't have or need
    gloves.

    Hope this was helpful.

    -Ben

    Ben, Mar 2, 2006
  12. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Football Fan" <> wrote:

    > I would use the 50mm wide open at ISO 3200. Can't go wrong.

    Interesting. Even though the 50mm is my fastest lens, I'd been
    thinking that it would probably be the least used. That's pretty
    much what Gary said in his reply also, so you've provided pause for
    thought about that. I guess after I have this first hockey shoot
    under my belt I'll have a better feel for what works in my situation
    and what doesn't. After reading your response, I think I'll at least
    take the 50mm along with me. Thanks.

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006
  13. Mardon wrote:
    > "rafe b" <> wrote:
    >

    >>There's some nice stuff there. I liked "Quidi Valley Slipway."
    >>You're doing fine. Don't let the bastards get you down :)

    > Thanks, Rafe, for your words of encouragement. No need to fear about
    > me "getting down" though. I've been hanging out on Usenet for so
    > long that I've developed a pretty think skin. I try to keep my
    > answering.
    >
    > I don't know if you checked out the "Galleries" item in the menu bar
    > of my photo webpage. The sports gallery has photos from a shot that
    > I did this past Sunday of X-treme Ski-dooing. I think some of the
    > shots came out pretty good, so I'm hoping that the hockey will work
    > out OK too. The Ski-doo shots can be seen by going through the
    > "galleries" menu item or directly be going to:
    > http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/snowmobileraces.htm

    Nice work on the snow stuff.

    Back to hockey- I'd take the three lenses, and the extender (1.4x). Get
    a corner on the glass and/or depending on the arena, maybe a glass-less
    photog's site. You can well use the 50 1.4 when a player is pressed up
    against the glass in front of you. I don't think you'll have a problem
    with af, but you'll also do fine with manual.

    I'd try ISO 800 to start with. If you have a clear shot to the far end
    (ie, not through glass), the 1.4 extender might get you good shots of
    the start of a clear, the goalie, etc.

    If management is giving you a gold key, you might be able to stand
    behind the penalty box. They might even let you use flash...

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 2, 2006
  14. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "rugbyphoto" <> wrote:

    > Good luck with that, Hockey is great to shoot.
    >
    > I expect the 1.4 tele can be left in the bag as can the 50mm. It
    > is likely that you will only use the 70-200..
    >
    > I have had reasonable success shooting from the stands with an
    > f2.8 lens (F8 at 500 and ISO 800) but it really depends on the
    > arena and how well lit it will be. When you are shooting through
    > the glass you have to step down to F4 to ensure a sharp image.
    > I have also found that my 580EX bounced off the silved arena
    > roof has helped too.
    >
    > Lastly, be sure to adjust for the lighting and not rely on the
    > auto whitebalance, in my 10D that makes a big difference to the
    > end result.
    >
    > garry
    > www.rugbyphoto.com

    Thanks, Gary.

    I'd dismissed the idea of flash entirely until you and Ben mentioned
    it. I just assumed that flash would interfere with the players. I
    still think I'll avoid flash this first time. I'd like to get a feel
    for the situation at the stadium before I try flash. I also figure
    the 70-200 will be the workhorse but even with IS and a monopod, I
    find it hard to consistently avoid camera shake below 1/500 sec. I'm
    sure that lens will also be too long for many shots, so the 16-35 may
    turn out to be a more useful lens. Again, I guess I'll learn that
    from experience. I'm interested in your comment that I'll have to
    stop down to f/4 to get a crisp image through the glass. Since it's
    pretty much impossible to evaluate sharpness on the camera's display,
    that's something I might not have picked up on until I got home and
    looked at my images on the computer. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm
    not sure why you suggest not relying on Auto White balance. Perhaps
    you missed my comment that I shoot everything in RAW. I do all my
    white balance in PP. Is there something here I'm missing?

    Thanks again for your comments.

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006
  15. Mardon

    Jason Guest

    Mmm. Two words. Wind up.

    Jason, Mar 2, 2006
  16. Mardon

    Beach Bum Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message

    > What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
    > evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
    > use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
    > light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
    > home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
    > the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
    > Etc., Etc. ... TIA

    Most modern arenas have camera holes in the glass for professional photogs.
    I suggest making an appointment with the arena management to spend some time
    there before the game. You know, to scout the place out.

    I've had pretty good luck shooting through the glass, but these are for
    personal consumption, not for sale.

    The light is fairly dim. I set exposure for the ice and then place it in
    zone 7 (obviously RAW exposures can be compensated for during post work).
    Most people I know that shoot hockey are trying for crisp shots with no
    motion blur (me included). But if I get a chance to get another game this
    year I'm gonna try shooting at slower speeds to see what kind of motion I
    can capture.

    Good luck with your shoot. :)

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

    Beach Bum, Mar 2, 2006
  17. Mardon

    Beach Bum Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    > "Football Fan" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I would use the 50mm wide open at ISO 3200. Can't go wrong.

    > Interesting. Even though the 50mm is my fastest lens, I'd been
    > thinking that it would probably be the least used. That's pretty
    > much what Gary said in his reply also, so you've provided pause for
    > thought about that. I guess after I have this first hockey shoot
    > under my belt I'll have a better feel for what works in my situation
    > and what doesn't. After reading your response, I think I'll at least
    > take the 50mm along with me. Thanks.

    With the 20D you'll get the coverage of and 80mm and hockey is FAST - it can
    get difficult to track the players with a much longer lens.

    Beach Bum, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote:

    > Hi Mardon,

    <*snip*>
    > Hope this was helpful.
    > -Ben

    Hi Ben,

    Thank you for your lengthy and detailed response! :)

    As I mentioned to Garry, I had not been considering the use of flash
    for fear of disturbing the players. I think I'll still not use it,
    at lest until I get the lay of the land.

    I'm thinking like you that shooting some wide and some tele is the
    most logical way to go. I'm surprised that camera battery life is an
    issue for you with the 20D and a battery grip. I don't have the grip
    and I can easily soot 4 GB of pics on a single batter charge, even
    with the zoom lens. Don't tell me you are a chimper! :) Sorry ---
    I couldn't resist. And "yes", I do check my histograms after most
    shots but I don't (generally) Wooo and Anhhh, so I can't be accused
    of chimping; at least, I'm not going to admit to it here! :)

    The stadium where I'll be is climate controlled for spectator
    comfort, so I'll (fortunately) not have to fight the clothing issue
    that you mentioned. Thanks goodness! :)

    Like you, I also hate the noise at high ISO's. I read so often that
    the 20D is relatively noise free, even at 1600 but that certainly
    isn't my experience. I often use "PS's "noise reduction" filter even
    in ISO400 shots; especially if there's a lot of solid colour, like a
    blue sky.

    Thanks for the feedback. It was helpful!

    Mardon, Mar 2, 2006
  19. Mardon

    Jason Guest

    I am not sure why you get camera shake below 1/500. Something is wrong if
    you do on that lens.

    You are right about white balance with RAW, it is a lossless adjustment that
    can be made afterwards during post processing, however the least amount of
    post processing the better, as this increases your work flow time.

    I disagree with stopping down to shoot through glass BTW. If you press the
    lens right up against the glass, not a problem that stopping down will
    solve.

    Jason, Mar 2, 2006
  20. Mardon

    Beach Bum Guest