Tips for a smoother running computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008.

  1. Cokopelli

    Cokopelli Guest

    Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Cokopelli

    Lookout Guest

    Lookout, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Cokopelli

    Cokopelli Guest

    Hey lookout what is that suppose to mean?

    Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Cokopelli

    ded Guest

    "Cokopelli" <> wrote in message
    > Hey lookout what is that suppose to mean?

    Hi Cokopelli, may I ask you a few questions......
    You are subscribed to googlegroups and you've created your own
    googlegroup, but do you realise that *this* group is not a google group?
    24hoursupport.helpdesk is a usenet newsgroup.
    usenet existed long before google and will survive long after google has
    been dismantled by Chinese scientologists.
    The vast majority of users who subscibe to this usenet group won't be
    doing it via google, and there are many who have configured to block
    google posters - most in this group will never see your posts let alone
    visit your own google group.
    Your google group is only accessible via google, it is not part of usenet
    so the majority in usenet will remain totally unaware of your group.
    And hopefully not over stressing the point by repeating, but you posted
    via google groups, very few users in this usenet group will see your post.
    So a tip and an obvious hint for you, before you hurl yourself into the
    whirl of offering PC tips, the first thing to do is learn a few basics
    yourself, so using your precious google do a search on the following
    terms:
    usenet
    newsgroups
    NNTP servers and clients
    "usenet spamming from google accounts"

    ded, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Cokopelli

    ded Guest

    "Cokopelli" <> wrote in message

    I just had a look at your site, oh dear oh dear.....
    Another one with posts from himself and nothing else on the site,
    and yet another one who advocates registry cleaners as a cure all.
    I thought at first that maybe English wasn't your mother tongue,
    but locator is 70% certain that Fenton, Missouri, United States is
    your hometown, so why is your English and grammer so poor?
    Your google group is awful, sorry, but it's best to tell you it as
    honestly as possible.

    ded, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  7. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Lookout wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Cokopelli
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother computer then visit
    >>>my group
    >>>http://groups.google.com/group/computer-troubles-and-virus-issues

    >> Tip # 1
    >> Never got to Google Groups

    >Tip #2
    >
    >**** Google Groups.

    I wouldn't. STDs.

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Apr 1, 2008
  8. Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Lookout wrote:

    >>> Tip # 1
    >>> Never got to Google Groups

    >>Tip #2
    >>
    >>**** Google Groups.

    > I wouldn't. STDs.

    The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  9. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Tip #2
    >>>
    >>>**** Google Groups.

    >> I wouldn't. STDs.

    >The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

    Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....

    Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use
    all header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter crossposts
    effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major crossposts filtering
    on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.

    Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
    Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

    Mara, Apr 1, 2008
  10. Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't. STDs.

    >>The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

    > Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....
    >
    > Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use
    > all header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter crossposts
    > effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major crossposts
    > filtering on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.
    >
    > Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
    > Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

    My sub to GN runs out on the 12th, & I've gone to news.individual.net. There
    seems to be a bit more spam in their text groups than Supernews had, but a hell
    of a lot less than Giganews has. However as I understand it, Giganews bought
    only the *commercial* customers of Supernews.  The *consumer* customer base was
    acquired by another company that is running the service "Supernews Inc". The
    support people were being rather tight-lipped in the supernews.general group
    about *who* had bought the consumer base.
    For some reason I was prompted to look at the email headers I received from
    SuperNews - "Supernews Service Transition Details".
    The header: X-Originating-IP: [217.160.249.62]
    WHOIS: 217.160.249.62
    % Information related to '217.160.240.0 - 217.160.255.255'

    inetnum:        217.160.240.0 - 217.160.255.255
    netname:        SCHLUND-CUSTOMERS
    descr:          Schlund + Partner AG
    country:        US
    admin-c:        UI-RIPE
    tech-c:         UI-RIPE
    remarks:        INFRA-AW
    remarks:        in case of abuse or spam, please mailto:
    status:         ASSIGNED PA
    mnt-by:         SCHLUND-MNT
    source:         RIPE # Filtered

    role:           Schlund NCC
    address:        1&1 Internet AG
    address:        Brauerstrasse 48
    address:        D-76135 Karlsruhe
    address:        Germany
    remarks:        For abuse issues, please use only
    phone:          +49 721 91374 50
    fax-no:         +49 721 91374 20
    admin-c:        SPNC-RIPE
    tech-c:         SPNC-RIPE
    nic-hdl:        UI-RIPE
    abuse-mailbox:
    mnt-by:         SCHLUND-MNT
    source:         RIPE # Filtered

    % Information related to '217.160.0.0/16AS8560'

    route:          217.160.0.0/16
    descr:          SCHLUND-PA-3
    origin:         AS8560
    mnt-by:         SCHLUND-MNT
    source:         RIPE # Filtered

    % Information related to '217.160.224.0/19AS8560'

    route:          217.160.224.0/19
    descr:          SCHLUND-USA-1
    origin:         AS8560
    mnt-by:         SCHLUND-MNT
    source:         RIPE # Filtered
    ---------------------------------

    It would appear that "SuperNews Inc" is now a wholly-owned GN subsidiary of
    Schlund + Partner AG, & that *this* is the "someone else" who have bought the
    consumer accounts.

    Maybe they were being tight-lipped in supernews.general because they didn't know
    who'd bought them, or maybe they *did* know but weren't saying because of
    SCHLUND's reputation as a spamhaus.

    Either way, I've now moved to Inet.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    Mepis 7.0 64bit OS.

    William Poaster, Apr 1, 2008
  11. Cokopelli

    Lookout Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:03:13 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't. STDs.

    >>The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

    >Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....
    >
    >Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use
    >all header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter crossposts
    >effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major crossposts filtering
    >on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.
    >
    >Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
    >Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

    The only problem I've found so far is slower loading header downloads.

    Lookout, Apr 1, 2008
  12. Cokopelli

    catchme Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Lookout wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Cokopelli
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother computer then visit
    >>> my group
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/computer-troubles-and-virus-issues

    >> Tip # 1
    >> Never got to Google Groups

    > Tip #2
    >
    > **** Google Groups.

    group sex?

    --
    but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist
    whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters

    catchme, Apr 1, 2008
  13. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:50:19 +0100, William Poaster <64.eu>
    wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
    >> Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

    <snipped traceback to Schlund>

    I just checked my e-mails from Supernews. All of them came from Supernews
    servers except that last one, which traces back exactly like yours, to Schlund.

    Ewwwwwww.

    >It would appear that "SuperNews Inc" is now a wholly-owned GN subsidiary of
    >Schlund + Partner AG, & that *this* is the "someone else" who have bought the
    >consumer accounts.

    <gag>

    >Maybe they were being tight-lipped in supernews.general because they didn't know
    >who'd bought them, or maybe they *did* know but weren't saying because of
    >SCHLUND's reputation as a spamhaus.
    >
    >Either way, I've now moved to Inet.

    So did I. And since Newsproxy works with Inet, things are looking much better.
    :) Inet uses Cleanfeed too, which should help. But I do wish I could filter on
    more headers than Inet has available. <sigh>

    Mara, Apr 1, 2008
  14. Cokopelli

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:41:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Works for me. What I really wanted to do was something with
    > "Substandard Technological [noun]", the gist being ineptitude with
    > computers. But I couldn't come up with a good noun for the adjectives.

    How about 'Dickheads'? 'Dimbats'? 'Dipsticks'? Or that old chestnut,
    'Dopes'?

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Apr 1, 2008
  15. Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't. STDs.

    >>The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

    > Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....

    Works for me. What I really wanted to do was something with "Substandard
    Technological [noun]", the gist being ineptitude with computers. But I
    couldn't come up with a good noun for the adjectives.

    > Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use all
    > header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter
    > crossposts effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major
    > crossposts filtering on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.

    Xref is dependent on your server carrying all of the groups in the
    crosspost; ones it doesn't won't appear in the header and that will
    make your count inaccurate. While similar filtering on delineators in the
    Newsgroups header is expansive, in that Newsgroups isn't in the overview,
    it does resolve that issue, because all groups involved will appear in the
    header, regardless of whether or not they're carried by that server.

    > Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice
    > things since Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  16. catchme wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Lookout wrote:

    >>> Tip # 1
    >>> Never got to Google Groups

    >> Tip #2
    >>
    >> **** Google Groups.
    >>

    > group sex?

    Well, they *are* Google Gropers, after all. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  17. Cokopelli

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:59:17 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:41:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >>> Works for me. What I really wanted to do was something with
    >>> "Substandard Technological [noun]", the gist being ineptitude with
    >>> computers. But I couldn't come up with a good noun for the
    >>> adjectives.

    >> How about 'Dickheads'? 'Dimbats'? 'Dipsticks'? Or that old chestnut,
    >> 'Dopes'?

    > I know plenty of d words. But Gropers *aren't* Technological Dickheads
    > or Technological Dipsticks. They're *un*technological. That's the
    > problem. They *are* Technologically Substandard Dimbulbs, but the
    > construction I inherited, "STD" constrains me to that word order.

    Hmmmmm. I see now. I'll think deeply about this and get back to you. A
    week next Thursday suit you?

    Before I go, I just had a thought. What about 'Dunces'? Technologically
    that's what they are, aren't they.

    Aardvark, Apr 1, 2008

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  19. Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:59:17 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Aardvark wrote:

    >>> How about 'Dickheads'? 'Dimbats'? 'Dipsticks'? Or that old chestnut,
    >>> 'Dopes'?

    >> I know plenty of d words. But Gropers *aren't* Technological Dickheads
    >> or Technological Dipsticks. They're *un*technological. That's the
    >> problem. They *are* Technologically Substandard Dimbulbs, but the
    >> construction I inherited, "STD" constrains me to that word order.

    > Hmmmmm. I see now. I'll think deeply about this and get back to you. A
    > week next Thursday suit you?
    >
    > Before I go, I just had a thought. What about 'Dunces'? Technologically
    > that's what they are, aren't they.

    "Dunces" implies that they could keep the pointy hat on.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    On the USA presidental elections? All I can say is that the future of the
    world may boil down like shown in the 1996 phrophetic Will Smith movie,
    'Independence Day'; and at last check, Clintons are draft-dodgers, and
    Obama was too busy becoming a lawyer rich off blacks to be bothered
    with military concepts; thus, McCain is the best because he can jump
    into a jet and shoot down any invaders we may have to defend against!

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 1, 2008
  20. Aardvark wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:59:17 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Aardvark wrote:

    >>> How about 'Dickheads'? 'Dimbats'? 'Dipsticks'? Or that old chestnut,
    >>> 'Dopes'?

    >> I know plenty of d words. But Gropers *aren't* Technological Dickheads
    >> or Technological Dipsticks. They're *un*technological. That's the
    >> problem. They *are* Technologically Substandard Dimbulbs, but the
    >> construction I inherited, "STD" constrains me to that word order.

    > Hmmmmm. I see now. I'll think deeply about this and get back to you. A
    > week next Thursday suit you?
    >
    > Before I go, I just had a thought. What about 'Dunces'? Technologically
    > that's what they are, aren't they.

    The problem I stated remains.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008