TinyURL problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ionizer, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to my
    system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028 patch from
    Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.

    Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for instance,
    at tinyurl:
    http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/blackbird.tab
    Which is translated into this shorter link:
    http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted it to
    alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so) to this page:
    http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38 which features this
    message:
    "Gateway Timeout
    The following error occurred:
    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    unreachable. Retry the request."

    I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have no
    viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have no adware or
    spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)  I'm not using a pop-up
    blocker, and a friend using the same ISP (rogers cable) has no such
    problems- although he's running W2000 and hasn't applied all recent patches.

    Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.  As I
    say, all patches up to date.

    I welcome any suggestions or observations.

    Thanks,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Ionizer

    ICee Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    > http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to
    > my system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028
    > patch from Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.
    >
    > Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for
    > instance, at tinyurl:

    http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/blackbird.tab
    > Which is translated into this shorter link:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    > Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted
    > it to alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so) to
    > this page: http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38 which
    > features this message:
    > "Gateway Timeout
    > The following error occurred:

    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    > unreachable. Retry the request."
    >
    > I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have no
    > viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have no
    > adware or spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)  I'm
    > not using a pop-up blocker, and a friend using the same ISP (rogers
    > cable) has no such problems- although he's running W2000 and hasn't
    > applied all recent patches.
    >
    > Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version
    > 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.  As I say, all patches up to date.
    >
    > I welcome any suggestions or observations.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ian.[/color]

    Just tried both links (original & TinyURL), and both take me to the same
    place.  I have the same version of IE and am using XP HE also.
    Everything up to date.  I don't have any idea what the problem could be,
    unfortunately.
    ICee, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Ionizer

    trout Guest

    ICee wrote:

    > Ionizer wrote:
    >> For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to
    >> my system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028
    >> patch from Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.
    >>
    >> Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for
    >> instance, at tinyurl:

    http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/blackbird.tab
    >> Which is translated into this shorter link:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    >> Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted
    >> it to alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so) to
    >> this page: http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38 which
    >> features this message:
    >> "Gateway Timeout
    >> The following error occurred:

    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    >> unreachable. Retry the request."
    >>
    >> I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have no
    >> viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have no
    >> adware or spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)  I'm
    >> not using a pop-up blocker, and a friend using the same ISP (rogers
    >> cable) has no such problems- although he's running W2000 and hasn't
    >> applied all recent patches.
    >>
    >> Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version
    >> 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.  As I say, all patches up to date.
    >>
    >> I welcome any suggestions or observations.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ian.[/color]
    >
    > Just tried both links (original & TinyURL), and both take me to the
    > same
    > place.  I have the same version of IE and am using XP HE also.
    > Everything up to date.  I don't have any idea what the problem could
    > be, unfortunately.[/color]

    What I thought was odd, is that I connect on all *three*; including
    that odd "unicyclist" thing. I assume that an attempt was made to
    refresh the page? I'm baffled too. Hosts file?
    --
    "Odd, indeed."
    trout, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    ICee Guest

    trout wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> Ionizer wrote:
    >>> For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to
    >>> my system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028
    >>> patch from Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.
    >>>
    >>> Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for
    >>> instance, at tinyurl:

    http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/blackbird.tab
    >>> Which is translated into this shorter link:
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    >>> Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted
    >>> it to alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so)
    >>> to this page: http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38
    >>> which features this message:
    >>> "Gateway Timeout
    >>> The following error occurred:

    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    >>> unreachable. Retry the request."
    >>>
    >>> I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have
    >>> no viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have
    >>> no adware or spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)
    >>> I'm not using a pop-up blocker, and a friend using the same ISP
    >>> (rogers cable) has no such problems- although he's running W2000
    >>> and hasn't applied all recent patches.
    >>>
    >>> Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version
    >>> 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.  As I say, all patches up to date.
    >>>
    >>> I welcome any suggestions or observations.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Ian.[/color]
    >>
    >> Just tried both links (original & TinyURL), and both take me to the
    >> same
    >> place.  I have the same version of IE and am using XP HE also.
    >> Everything up to date.  I don't have any idea what the problem could
    >> be, unfortunately.[/color]
    >
    >     What I thought was odd, is that I connect on all *three*;
    > including that odd "unicyclist" thing. I assume that an attempt was
    > made to refresh the page? I'm baffled too. Hosts file?[/color]

    I didn't try the third one originally, but you're right; that one takes
    me to the same place as well.  Don't know about the hosts file, but it
    couldn't hurt for him to look there.
    ICee, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    °Mike° Guest

    Don't use tinyurl, use makeashorterlink. There are less
    security issues involved -- you can see where you are
    being directed to, and I find it more resposive.
    http://www.makeashorterlink.com

    Also, to make sure you haven't been hijacked, use
    HijackThis. If you have trouble deciphering the log,
    post the full contents here.

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:59:03 -0500, in
    <c1dt34$1fupha$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    Norm Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Don't use tinyurl, use makeashorterlink. There are less
    > security issues involved -- you can see where you are
    > being directed to, and I find it more resposive.
    > http://www.makeashorterlink.com
    >
    > Also, to make sure you haven't been hijacked, use
    > HijackThis. If you have trouble deciphering the log,
    > post the full contents here.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >

    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:59:03 -0500, in
    > <c1dt34$1fupha$-berlin.de>
    > Ionizer scrawled:
    >
    > >For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    > >http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to my
    > >system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028 patch

    from
    > >Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.
    > >
    > >Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for

    instance,
    > >at tinyurl:

    >http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/black

    bird.tab
    > >Which is translated into this shorter link:
    > >http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    > >Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted it to
    > >alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so) to this

    page:
    > >http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38 which features this
    > >message:
    > >"Gateway Timeout
    > >The following error occurred:

    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    > >unreachable. Retry the request."
    > >
    > >I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have no
    > >viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have no adware[/color][/color]
    or[color=blue][color=green]
    > >spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)  I'm not using a[/color][/color]
    pop-up[color=blue][color=green]
    > >blocker, and a friend using the same ISP (rogers cable) has no such
    > >problems- although he's running W2000 and hasn't applied all recent[/color][/color]
    patches.[color=blue][color=green]

    > >Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.[/color][/color]
    As I[color=blue][color=green]
    > >say, all patches up to date.
    > >
    > >I welcome any suggestions or observations.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Ian.
    > >[/color]
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html[/color]

    If this link works, it works for me.

    Norm

    http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    Norm, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    Norm Guest

    It worked for me

    Norm
    Norm, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Don't use tinyurl, use makeashorterlink. There are less
    > security issues involved -- you can see where you are
    > being directed to, and I find it more resposive.
    > http://www.makeashorterlink.com
    >
    > Also, to make sure you haven't been hijacked, use
    > HijackThis. If you have trouble deciphering the log,
    > post the full contents here.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Unfortunately, http://www.tomcoyote.org/ seems to be experiencing
    difficulties right now: "This domain has had massive attacks against it..."

    I've seen no indication that my home page or IE has been hijacked in any
    way, aside from my sudden inability to make use of tinyurl links, but I
    certainly will pursue this possibility. It's just an annoyance really at
    this point because, as you say, there are other shorter-link options out
    there- unless this is a minor symptom of a greater problem. I've never made
    entries into my Hosts file in an attempt to block certain sites by the way,
    so that shouldn't be my problem.

    I'll look for "HijackThis" tomorrow, and perhaps even try SpyBot for the
    first time just to make sure that my system is as clean as I hope it is.

    To be continued,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:10:40 -0500, in
    <c1e4pv$1f6gt3$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Don't use tinyurl, use makeashorterlink. There are less
    >> security issues involved -- you can see where you are
    >> being directed to, and I find it more resposive.
    >> http://www.makeashorterlink.com
    >>
    >> Also, to make sure you haven't been hijacked, use
    >> HijackThis. If you have trouble deciphering the log,
    >> post the full contents here.
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    >Unfortunately, http://www.tomcoyote.org/ seems to be experiencing
    >difficulties right now: "This domain has had massive attacks against it..."
    >
    >I've seen no indication that my home page or IE has been hijacked in any
    >way, aside from my sudden inability to make use of tinyurl links, but I
    >certainly will pursue this possibility. It's just an annoyance really at
    >this point because, as you say, there are other shorter-link options out
    >there- unless this is a minor symptom of a greater problem. I've never made
    >entries into my Hosts file in an attempt to block certain sites by the way,
    >so that shouldn't be my problem.
    >
    >I'll look for "HijackThis" tomorrow, and perhaps even try SpyBot for the
    >first time just to make sure that my system is as clean as I hope it is.
    >
    >To be continued,
    >Ian.

    There is a mirror that is up and working:
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    Use the "Other download locations".

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > There is a mirror that is up and working:
    > http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    Thanks, Mike. Although it is indecipherable to me, here is a copy of my
    HiJackThis Log. Your insights are most welcome.

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 7:30:53 PM, on 23/02/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ian & Lorraine\My Documents\Temp Downloads\HiJack
    This\HijackThis.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://www.google.ca/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    http://www.dellnet.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://www.dellnet.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    http://www.dellnet.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext =
    http://www.dellnet.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program
    Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} -
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control
    Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround
    Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program
    Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioReg] REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VOBRegCheck]
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\VOBREGCheck.exe -CheckReg
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSDrvCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program
    Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client]
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SbUsb AudCtrl] RunDll32 sbusbdll.dll,RCMonitor
    O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) -
    http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0C568603-D79D-11D2-87A7-00C04FF158BB} (BrowseFolderPopup
    Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/Shared/MGBrwFld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} -
    http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52...pple.com/abarth/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
    http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2003120501/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer
    Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) -
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37764.7756134259
    Ionizer, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Ionizer

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:33:34 -0500, in
    <c1e64s$1gfl49$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> There is a mirror that is up and working:
    >> http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    >Thanks, Mike. Although it is indecipherable to me, here is a copy of my
    >HiJackThis Log. Your insights are most welcome.
    >
    >Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7

    <snip>

    >O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

    Have HijackThis fix the above. The CLSID says it should be to do with
    MS Money, but the "no name" and "no file" says it should be removed.

    There's nothing else I can find.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  12. Ionizer

    j.j Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:59:03 -0500, Ionizer wrote:

    > For the past week or so, I have noticed that links created at
    > http://tinyurl.com/ are useless to me. The only change I've made to my
    > system in the last couple of weeks has been applying the KB828028 patch
    > from Windows Update, although that may be conincidental.
    >
    > Here's how the problem manifests itself. I enter this link, for
    > instance, at tinyurl:
    > http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/b/beatles/blackbird.tab
    > Which is translated into this shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/2vg38
    > Unfortunately when I click on that tinyurl link after having posted it
    > to alt.test, I am redirected (after waiting for a minute or so) to this
    > page: http://unicyclist.com/tinyurl/redirect.php?num=2vg38 which
    > features this message:
    > "Gateway Timeout
    > The following error occurred:

    Code:
     A gateway timeout occurred. The server is
    > unreachable. Retry the request."
    >
    > I have emptied my temp internet files, history and cookies, I have no
    > viruses according to Norton (20/02/2004 definitions) and I have no
    > adware or spyware according to AdAware (23/02/2004 Ref file.)  I'm not
    > using a pop-up blocker, and a friend using the same ISP (rogers cable)
    > has no such problems- although he's running W2000 and hasn't applied all
    > recent patches.
    >
    > Mine is a WXP Home system, IE version 6.0.2800.1106.xpxp2.030422-1633.
    > As I say, all patches up to date.
    >
    > I welcome any suggestions or observations.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ian.[/color]

    tinyurl link referrals are being routed through qksrv.net which is blocked
    by some antispyware software.
    google groups thread on it:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U15521187
    j.j, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    > >O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

    > Have HijackThis fix the above. The CLSID says it should be to do with
    > MS Money, but the "no name" and "no file" says it should be removed.
    >

    > There's nothing else I can find.

    Thanks again, Mike. I've just removed the above entry. Before doing so, I
    also had System Mechanic remove ("fix") the small handful of Registry errors
    it identified. I'm pleased to note that neither procedure seemed to "break"
    my computer in any way, and yet the TinyURL annoyance continues.

    I wonder if I may just have to resign myself to being unable to access
    TinyURL links for the time being, and just consider this one of those very
    minor, mysterious problems which is temporarily unsolvable.

    Thanks to you Mike, and to all who responded,
    Ian.
    (Now Playing: Building A Mystery - Sarah McLachlan)
    Ionizer, Feb 24, 2004
  14. Ionizer

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:05:59 -0500, in
    <c1gebl$1incc2$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> >Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    > > >O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

    >> Have HijackThis fix the above. The CLSID says it should be to do with
    >> MS Money, but the "no name" and "no file" says it should be removed.
    >>

    >> There's nothing else I can find.

    >Thanks again, Mike. I've just removed the above entry. Before doing so, I
    >also had System Mechanic remove ("fix") the small handful of Registry errors
    >it identified. I'm pleased to note that neither procedure seemed to "break"
    >my computer in any way, and yet the TinyURL annoyance continues.
    >
    >I wonder if I may just have to resign myself to being unable to access
    >TinyURL links for the time being, and just consider this one of those very
    >minor, mysterious problems which is temporarily unsolvable.
    >
    >Thanks to you Mike, and to all who responded,
    >Ian.
    >(Now Playing: Building A Mystery - Sarah McLachlan)

    Somebody else provided a link to a discussion about
    tinyurl routing referrals through qksrv.net . See:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U15521187

    I honestly can't see why you would use link
    shorteners that give no clue to where they
    are taking you. But, for your edification:

    Web Sites That Shorten Long URLs
    http://notlong.com/links/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > Somebody else provided a link to a discussion about
    > tinyurl routing referrals through qksrv.net . See:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?U15521187
    >
    > I honestly can't see why you would use link
    > shorteners that give no clue to where they
    > are taking you. But, for your edification:
    >
    > Web Sites That Shorten Long URLs
    > http://notlong.com/links/

    It seems from the discussion you linked to that it's a cookie-related issue,
    and one which would require me to lower my security settings if I want to
    continue to access TinURL links. I understand the leap-of-faith aspect of
    clicking on a TinyURL link, and have only clicked on those sent to me by
    "trusted sources," but I refuse to lower my settings in order to continue to
    access those links.

    Thanks again for your insights- I'll encourage my trusted sources to shorten
    their links via http://www.makeashorterlink.com/ in the future. As I'm
    apparently not the only one having TinyURL problems, I won't be the only one
    making the switch.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 24, 2004