TinyURL perils

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Petit Alexi, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Petit Alexi

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Petit Alexi, Nov 6, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Petit Alexi

    Trent C Guest

    > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    >
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/****
    >
    > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    Seems vaguely appropriate, especially when she's married to a Dick.
     
    Trent C, Nov 6, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Petit Alexi

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch Trent C decided to put the World to rights with
    this little speech from the heart...

    >> For all those people who like tiny URL:
    >>
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/****
    >>
    >> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    >
    > Seems vaguely appropriate, especially when she's married to a Dick.


    Is she a failed Hilary-clone ?
    Sure looks like it to me....
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    no less
    just slumpy
     
    slumpy, Nov 6, 2003
    #3
  4. Petit Alexi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Petit Alexi wrote:
    >
    > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/****
    >
    > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!
     
    SgtMinor, Nov 6, 2003
    #4
  5. Petit Alexi

    Patrick Guest

    Petit Alexi wrote:
    > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    >
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/****
    >
    > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    oooh, nasty (checked it) !
     
    Patrick, Nov 6, 2003
    #5
  6. Petit Alexi

    bb3 Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Petit Alexi wrote:
    > >
    > > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/****
    > >
    > > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    >
    > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!


    Apparently not... www.tinyurl.com/hate .
     
    bb3, Nov 6, 2003
    #6
  7. SgtMinor wrote:
    > Petit Alexi wrote:


    >> For all those people who like tiny URL:


    >> http://tinyurl.com/****


    >> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!


    I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
    not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
    does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
    that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,
    sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices
    we charge for our products..." http://snipurl.com/open_source
     
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2003
    #7
  8. Petit Alexi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    > > Petit Alexi wrote:

    >
    > >> For all those people who like tiny URL:

    >
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/****

    >
    > >> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    >
    > > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

    >
    > I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
    > not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
    > does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
    > that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?


    I wrote that in jest. Don't tell me I need to add an emoticon?

    But it does point out a lack of sophistication on the part of tinyurl.
    It is they, not the user, who determines the four letter shortcut. Four
    letters can generate 456976 different combinations. How hard would it
    be to make a database of those 'four-letter words' that may be
    considered offensive and screen them out? There would still be hundreds
    of thousands of combinations left.

    >
    > --
    > Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    > Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,
    > sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices
    > we charge for our products..." http://snipurl.com/open_source
     
    SgtMinor, Nov 7, 2003
    #8
  9. SgtMinor wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >> SgtMinor wrote:
    >> > Petit Alexi wrote:


    >> >> For all those people who like tiny URL:


    >> >> http://tinyurl.com/****


    >> >> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    >> > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!


    >> I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
    >> not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
    >> does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
    >> that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?


    > I wrote that in jest. Don't tell me I need to add an emoticon?


    I didn't pick up on that.

    > But it does point out a lack of sophistication on the part of tinyurl.
    > It is they, not the user, who determines the four letter shortcut. Four
    > letters can generate 456976 different combinations. How hard would it
    > be to make a database of those 'four-letter words' that may be
    > considered offensive and screen them out? There would still be hundreds
    > of thousands of combinations left.


    And people would be suing them for "censorship".

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,
    sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices
    we charge for our products..." http://snipurl.com/open_source
     
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2003
    #9
  10. Petit Alexi

    Dolly Guest

    Check out jitbot Go link. It has more features, tracking hits, retrieve from
    cache if page no longer available, reviews, translation, dictionary, search,
    calculator, stats, search over 10 major search engines at once. At least it
    gets the name correct ;-)

    http://go.jitbot.com/mrs.cheney

    -- Dolly

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Petit Alexi wrote:
    > >
    > > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/****
    > >
    > > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    >
    > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!
     
    Dolly, Nov 7, 2003
    #10
  11. Petit Alexi

    Proprclr Guest

    Petit Alexi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    >
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/****
    >
    > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.


    The problem with Tiny URL is if the company goes under, the
    original URL is unavailable if the poster can only find the
    "TinuURL" url.
     
    Proprclr, Nov 7, 2003
    #11
  12. Petit Alexi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Proprclr wrote:
    >
    > Petit Alexi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    > >
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/****
    > >
    > > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    >
    > The problem with Tiny URL is if the company goes under, the
    > original URL is unavailable if the poster can only find the
    > "TinuURL" url.


    If you want permanence, carve your message in a rock. The internet and
    the web are fluid, living organisms, growing and evolving, and now and
    then, parts of them wither and die. And as for tinyurl and the chaos
    its demise may cause, have you ever tried clicking on *any* two or three
    year old "original URL"?
     
    SgtMinor, Nov 8, 2003
    #12
  13. Petit Alexi

    Proprclr Guest

    SgtMinor <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Proprclr wrote:
    > >
    > > Petit Alexi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > http://tinyurl.com/****
    > > >
    > > > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

    > >
    > > The problem with Tiny URL is if the company goes under, the
    > > original URL is unavailable if the poster can only find the
    > > "TinuURL" url.

    >
    > If you want permanence, carve your message in a rock. The internet and
    > the web are fluid, living organisms, growing and evolving, and now and
    > then, parts of them wither and die. And as for tinyurl and the chaos
    > its demise may cause, have you ever tried clicking on *any* two or three
    > year old "original URL"?


    Did you try the Wayback machine? (http://web.archive.org). They
    probaly only archive text and images, not .ZIP files, or anything of
    that nature.
     
    Proprclr, Nov 8, 2003
    #13
  14. Petit Alexi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Proprclr wrote:
    >
    > SgtMinor <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Proprclr wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Petit Alexi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > > For all those people who like tiny URL:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > http://tinyurl.com/****
    > > > >
    > > > > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.
    > > >
    > > > The problem with Tiny URL is if the company goes under, the
    > > > original URL is unavailable if the poster can only find the
    > > > "TinuURL" url.

    > >
    > > If you want permanence, carve your message in a rock. The internet and
    > > the web are fluid, living organisms, growing and evolving, and now and
    > > then, parts of them wither and die. And as for tinyurl and the chaos
    > > its demise may cause, have you ever tried clicking on *any* two or three
    > > year old "original URL"?

    >
    > Did you try the Wayback machine? (http://web.archive.org). They
    > probaly only archive text and images, not .ZIP files, or anything of
    > that nature.


    I did check it out and it seemed to reaffirm what I thought about the
    fluidity of the internet. Many of the older sites I sought were not
    available. It may be just as well that some of our utterings turn to
    dust...
     
    SgtMinor, Nov 10, 2003
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sparky

    Service like tinyurl but private link

    Sparky, Jan 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,612
    Blinky the Shark
    Jan 3, 2004
  2. Ionizer

    TinyURL problem

    Ionizer, Feb 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    10,744
    Ionizer
    Feb 24, 2004
  3. Charlie Bress

    Tinyurl

    Charlie Bress, Oct 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    712
    Charlie Bress
    Oct 24, 2006
  4. -Lost
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    5,110
    -Lost
    Aug 13, 2007
  5. Tom

    Perils of getting Paid

    Tom, Mar 4, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    354
Loading...

Share This Page