    I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can
    use it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will
    want another £60 for their restart disk.

    Cleb, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Cleb

    °Mike° Guest

    How Do I Do a Repair Installation:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:56:42 +0100, in
    <>
    Cleb scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Cleb

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:56:42 +0100, Cleb
    wrote this:

    > I just spent £1200 on a new PC from Tiny and discovered that it is locked
    > into Supanet for Internet access, including its own version of Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > I found this site which pretty well sorted it all out because Tiny wanted
    > £1 per minute to do it:
    > http://inq1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time.html
    >
    > However, I still couldn't get rid of the IE bit so rather in temper I
    > attempted to install Windows XP Professional over the already installed XP
    > Home. It cocked up with 13 minutes to go, saying there was a .dll file
    > missing, and now I am stuck, as it wont cancel the install.
    >
    > I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can use
    > it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will want
    > another £60 for their restart disk.

    IIRC, Time (which owns Supanet) bought out Tiny when they went bust. hence
    why you're locked into Supanet.

    --
    Author of:-
    Self-help video: Get Confident-Stupid!

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Cleb

    Scrote Guest

    Cleb wrote:
    >> I just spent £1200 on a new PC from Tiny and discovered that it is
    >> locked into Supanet for Internet access, including its own version of
    >> Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> I found this site which pretty well sorted it all out because Tiny
    >> wanted £1 per minute to do it:
    >> http://inq1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time.html
    >>
    >> However, I still couldn't get rid of the IE bit so rather in temper I
    >> attempted to install Windows XP Professional over the already
    >> installed XP Home. It cocked up with 13 minutes to go, saying there
    >> was a .dll file missing, and now I am stuck, as it wont cancel the
    >> install.
    >>
    >> I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can
    >> use it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will
    >> want another £60 for their restart disk.

    It has been my experience, with Tiny machines bought via Tesco, that
    only the low end ones were "locked," not so with the high end.

    YMMV
    --
    Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
    I never had the courtesy to thank her.

    Scrote, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Cleb

    M Guest

    The reason that you are locked into using Supanet is because Tiny use a
    custom modem driver. You can obtain a generic modem driver from
    http://www.conexant.com/support/md_driverassistance.html which doesn't have
    this "feature". If this fails Dabs value modems work well, I have fitted
    several and not had a problem
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product Details.htm?quicklinx=14XB&searchphrase=modem
    only 9.98 Pounds plus postage!

    M, Sep 12, 2004