    Rv!

    P.S. Don't post that bloody top ten personal opinions list whoever
    usually does that!
    Rv!, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Rv!

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Rv!" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > A friend is looking for a very cheap machine for a particular
    > server related task, nothing special required. He's thinking
    > about this one from Tiny. http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=7756
    > Any comments?
    >
    > Rv!

    Really depends on what he wants to do with it and how intensive it is...
    Adam Steiner, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    > Really depends on what he wants to do with it and how intensive it is...

    Well, to add more in that case... The machine will probably be Windows 2000
    and will spend most of it's time doing nothing other than running a simple
    audio server, much like a very small Paltalk. It'll actually be an...
    www.echolink.org server. The HDD will be a backup store for personal files
    from the main machine. Of highest important to him is the fact it is quiet.
    The machine(s) all live in his bedroom so need to be reasonable. The system
    is replacing a Windows 2000/AMDAthlon700/20Gb/512Mb/HomeMade machine which
    is more than powerful enough for the job. It's only being replaced as the
    machine is 3 years old and the CPU fan (Slot A) is now grinding. I've found
    fans for him but he seems to prefer a new machine for some unexplicable
    reason. The guy's virtually blind so he's obviously not happy working inside
    machines so that's probably it.

    Anyone got a working Slot A fan lying around they'd sell cheap, preferably
    new and in the UK? Either that or know of a decent supplier of a basic
    machine for under £300?

    Robertv!
    Rv!, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Rv!

    Michael-NC Guest

    Understand one thing, a computer is a commodity item. Meaning, all the parts
    inside are readily available and the machine is a sum of it's parts. Parts
    that _anyone_ could get and put together. Tiny is in business a long time,
    they have a decent warranty and I would have no hesitation to buy a Tiny
    machine if one suited my needs at an attractive price.

    Tiny doesn't manufacture _anything_ in that computer, they just put it
    together and put their name on it. If you think the machine will fit your
    needs, just buy it.

    PS, I agree about the "personal list" bullshit, that list is outdated and
    full of shit.

    Michael-NC, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Rv!

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Ah, in that case, it looks good.
    --adam

    Adam Steiner, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Rv!

    Wizard Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Dell 7.9 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    Micron 7.8 (inflexible and pricey)
    IBM 6.5
    Compaq 5.2
    Gateway 5.0
    Acer 4.9
    Sony 4.2
    AOpen 3.9
    Tiny 3.5
    EMachines 3.0
    HP 2.9
    NEC/Packard Bell 2.0
    Daewoo 0.2 (anything from them)

    Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    Wizard, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    Oh, thanks a bunch.
    Rv!, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    Rv!, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    He's just confirmed the purchase of a Dell Desktop
    from the range...
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_2400?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

    This should suit him fine. He spent a bit more than expected as
    he decided to get a 15'monitor, speaker and mouse/keyboard which
    were not on the original spec. Dell were very happy to NOT supply
    these but he decided to anyway. The end result is a 2.8GHz machine
    with 256Mb RAM, 80Gb HDD for under £400/$700 which isn't too bad.

    Pity about Dell charging an extortionate £50/$90 carriage though.
    I'd have had something to say about that!

    We'll see how it gets on soon!

    Thanks all,
    Robertv!
    Rv!, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Rv!

    Michael-NC Guest

    Can you list your criteria, specifically regarding Tiny Computers and
    explain the 3.5 grade you assigned it? Specifically mention the last time
    you accessed Tiny tech support and number of times you accessed Tiny tech
    support in last 12 months.

    Please provide benchmarks from Tiny computers VS other brand computers that
    are similarly equipped. Please include all the benchmarks you have performed
    on Tiny models in the last 12 months.

    Please provide quality data that you have collected on Tiny Computers in the
    last three years, documenting any failure rates of components used that
    above average failure rates.

    Please provide documentation of compatibility issues with Tiny computers VS
    similar models and list specific compatibility issues of Tiny models made in
    the last 12 months.

    Please explain how you could possibly complete this request when Tiny is now
    in the UK?

    Please explain why you post that bullshit list???

    Michael-NC, Apr 24, 2004