Tinking Drive - temperature related

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matt, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi all,

    I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    temp is over 30oC.
    The suspect drive is a WD 200GB SATA, which tests fine, has never crashed,
    has no bad sectors. I ghosted to my secondary Maxtor 160GB SATA, and also
    found this makes the same 'tink' noise when the case temp is over 30oC.

    Is it my power supply? - I just cant see how two drives can make this tink
    noise (similar to a hard drive crashing - however it can make this tink
    noise during intensive copy and it doesnt affect operation - no pauses or
    crashes)

    I could try booting the drive externally - cooling the drive outside the
    case, let the case temp warm up and see if it tinks. From memory it still
    tinks even if the S-ATA cable is unplugged....

    Anyone else experienced this? (Thermaltake 420w PSU)

    Matt
    Matt, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Matt wrote:
    > I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    > temp is over 30oC.

    Get a copy of DTemp. It'll tell you how hot your drives themselves are
    running. For some new drives, they're only really happy with really good
    airflow (Like a fan in front or directly below).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > Get a copy of DTemp. It'll tell you how hot your drives themselves are
    > running. For some new drives, they're only really happy with really good
    > airflow (Like a fan in front or directly below).

    Ok installed - starts to tink when DTemp registers 35oC.
    Aida reports mobo=39oC, CPU=68oC, Aux=34oC and my case temp (located just
    after HDD's) says 33oC

    Hmmm.... The specs for this HDD says 55oC as a maximum operating
    temperature.
    Both drives tink at the same temp.
    Its more a nusicance as I run my PC 24/7 in my room.

    Tinks all summer as room temp is around 25 and above.

    I have 2 fans on HDD's that have to be at max speed to stop tink. I have one
    of those thermaltake cases with 7 Fans, (+2 on the power supply, CPU,
    Graphics, Northbridge)... one fanned out case!

    Matt
    Matt, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Matt

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:29:01 +1200, "Matt" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    >temp is over 30oC.
    >The suspect drive is a WD 200GB SATA, which tests fine, has never crashed,
    >has no bad sectors. I ghosted to my secondary Maxtor 160GB SATA, and also
    >found this makes the same 'tink' noise when the case temp is over 30oC.
    >
    >Is it my power supply? - I just cant see how two drives can make this tink
    >noise (similar to a hard drive crashing - however it can make this tink
    >noise during intensive copy and it doesnt affect operation - no pauses or
    >crashes)
    >
    >I could try booting the drive externally - cooling the drive outside the
    >case, let the case temp warm up and see if it tinks. From memory it still
    >tinks even if the S-ATA cable is unplugged....
    >
    >Anyone else experienced this? (Thermaltake 420w PSU)
    >
    >Matt

    Does the drive have a fan fitted in front of it and good air flow around it
    plus mounted to the chassis with 4 screws..

    Its the drive Temp you need to worry about not the case..

    I don't know if the HD temp programs work with SATA drives..

    Try this and see if it works

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    XP, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Matt

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    >temp is over 30oC.
    >The suspect drive is a WD 200GB SATA, which tests fine, has never crashed,
    >has no bad sectors. I ghosted to my secondary Maxtor 160GB SATA, and also
    >found this makes the same 'tink' noise when the case temp is over 30oC.
    >
    >Is it my power supply? - I just cant see how two drives can make this tink
    >noise (similar to a hard drive crashing - however it can make this tink
    >noise during intensive copy and it doesnt affect operation - no pauses or
    >crashes)
    >
    >I could try booting the drive externally - cooling the drive outside the
    >case, let the case temp warm up and see if it tinks. From memory it still
    >tinks even if the S-ATA cable is unplugged....
    >
    >Anyone else experienced this? (Thermaltake 420w PSU)
    >
    >Matt

    Does the drive have a fan fitted in front of it and good air flow around it
    plus mounted to the chassis with 4 screws..

    Its the drive Temp you need to worry about not the case..

    I don't know if the HD temp programs work with SATA drives..

    Try this and see if it works

    This link is better

    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SpeedFan--final-Download-4103.html

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    XP, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Matt

    rlj Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    > temp is over 30oC.
    > The suspect drive is a WD 200GB SATA, which tests fine, has never crashed,
    > has no bad sectors. I ghosted to my secondary Maxtor 160GB SATA, and also
    > found this makes the same 'tink' noise when the case temp is over 30oC.
    >
    > Is it my power supply? - I just cant see how two drives can make this tink
    > noise (similar to a hard drive crashing - however it can make this tink
    > noise during intensive copy and it doesnt affect operation - no pauses or
    > crashes)
    >
    > I could try booting the drive externally - cooling the drive outside the
    > case, let the case temp warm up and see if it tinks. From memory it still
    > tinks even if the S-ATA cable is unplugged....
    >
    > Anyone else experienced this? (Thermaltake 420w PSU)
    >
    > Matt

    This can be the drive recalibrating itself (heads getting lost as it
    warms up), which slows it down but doesn't necessarily cause damage. It
    is a bit odd that both are doing it though, makes me wonder about the
    power supply. Any other disks you can swap in to check?

    But 33C isn't excessive for a HD, my Seagates are always in the high
    30's and a Maxtor in a confined case is usually in the high 40's, no
    problems.

    rlj
    rlj, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:29:01 +1200, "Matt"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    > Try this and see if it works
    >
    > This link is better
    >
    > http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SpeedFan--final-Download-4103.html

    Thanks - downloaded. Reported same / similar temps as DTemp. SMART is all
    ok, nothing unusual.
    Too late to try heating up the case etc....but I suspect BOTH of my drives
    tink when the case temp is above 30oC, where the drives are about 35oC (not
    considered hot)
    I suspect maybe it isnt HDD related - ill pull my drives out, heat up the
    case and see if it still does it.

    Cheers,

    Matt
    Matt, Sep 14, 2005
  8. rlj wrote:
    > But 33C isn't excessive for a HD, my Seagates are always in the high
    > 30's and a Maxtor in a confined case is usually in the high 40's, no
    > problems.

    When my drives reach the high 40's, they act really weird. IIRC, my
    system freezes, I restart my system, and the drive doesn't detect until
    a complete power off, wait (30 seconds) and restart.

    40 degrees is hot for a drive. Putting a fan below my drives decreased
    the temperature by 10 degrees.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 15, 2005
  9. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:33:02 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock
    <> wrote:

    >rlj wrote:
    >> But 33C isn't excessive for a HD, my Seagates are always in the high
    >> 30's and a Maxtor in a confined case is usually in the high 40's, no
    >> problems.

    >When my drives reach the high 40's, they act really weird. IIRC, my
    >system freezes, I restart my system, and the drive doesn't detect until
    >a complete power off, wait (30 seconds) and restart.
    >
    >40 degrees is hot for a drive. Putting a fan below my drives decreased
    >the temperature by 10 degrees.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    If a drive is running hot, then you are generally reducing its
    lifetime and can expect its bearings to seize at some point. If you
    put your fingers on a drive and can feel it to be hot, then it is
    probably too hot. If you feel it to be warm (or even cool), that is
    good. Even though a drive may be rated to run at 50C, that is going
    to ensure it has a smaller lifetime than if it runs at 30C.

    To keep my hot drives cool, I have them in 4.5" bays mounted with fans
    on the front, so there is airflow across both sides of the drive. Of
    course, I have a couple of *very* hot drives (10,000 and 15,000 rpm
    SCSI).

    Mounting drives in 3.5" bays with no gap at all between them is a
    really good way of making sure they will run hot. These sort of bays
    often have no way of putting a fan at the front either. If you have
    these sort of 3.5" bays, if possible leave one bay empty between
    drives and see if you can get some airflow through the gaps. Even
    drives that run fairly cool can overheat when in the middle between
    two other drives. If you have two drives up against each other and
    have a spare 4.5" bay, invest in some mounting hardware and move a
    drive to the 4.5" bay. If you have two drives hard up against each
    other and no other options, slack off the mounting screws and see if
    you can move one up a little and the other down a little. Even a
    small gap between can make a significant difference, especially if you
    can get some airflow through it.

    Also, make sure that you have your drives mounted with 4 screws, and
    if in a 4.5" mount, 4 screws in the mount as well. Make sure the
    screws are all done up properly (tight, but not over tight). This
    makes sure that there is good thermal contact all around the drive to
    allow the heat to dissipate into the case metal.
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 15, 2005
  10. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" wrote in message

    > Mounting drives in 3.5" bays with no gap at all between them is a really
    > good way of making sure they will run hot.

    I have one of those huge thermaltake cases - hard drives mounted sideways
    (better because of more cross-sec surface area getting cooled by the fans)
    and have a space inbetween - so the case fans blow above, inbetween and
    underneath both drives.

    > Also, make sure that you have your drives mounted with 4 screws,

    No screws in this case - plastic snap in guides as the case is completely
    tool less, including the accessory cards and optical drives. Only thing
    screwed in is the mobo.

    However im fairly sure mine isnt a HDD over-heat problem, its either the
    mobo or power-supply, causing the power to glitch to the drive... will find
    out soon!

    Matt
    Matt, Sep 16, 2005
  11. Matt

    Matt Guest

    > I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    > temp is over 30oC.

    Discovered that flashing my bios to the lastest version fixed this problem.
    It also reduced my CPU temp by 15 degrees while running seti, very strange!
    However working.

    Cheers all.
    Matt, Oct 11, 2005
  12. Matt

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:43:29 +1300, Matt wrote:

    >> I have an unusual/weird problem - my hard drive tink's whenever the case
    >> temp is over 30oC.

    > Discovered that flashing my bios to the lastest version fixed this
    > problem. It also reduced my CPU temp by 15 degrees while running seti,
    > very strange! However working.
    >
    > Cheers all.

    Probably didn't lower the actual CPU temp much, if at all.
    They probably changed the sensor algorithm (for better or worse).
    Murray Symon, Oct 12, 2005