    Any idea what I'll have to tweak?

    Thanks!

    Andreas
    Andreas Schwartmann, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Andreas Schwartmann

    Rick Guest

    What hardware do you have? Do you have a dual core CPU?

    Rick, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Did you increase the server time out allowance? The default of 1 minute
    might be a little too short.

    Dennis Gordon, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Dennis Gordon wrote:
    > Did you increase the server time out allowance? The default of 1 minute
    > might be a little too short.

    No, I did not change a bit from default settings.

    The error message comes up almost instantly after opening the mail
    client and its connection trials.

    Andreas
    Andreas Schwartmann, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Rick wrote:
    > What hardware do you have? Do you have a dual core CPU?

    Yep, this should sum it up. ;-)

    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904
    (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name NATHAN64
    User Name Andreas

    Motherboard:
    CPU Type DualCore AMD
    Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (10 x 240) 4600+
    Motherboard Name Asus A8N-E (3
    PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4
    Ultra, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 2048 MB
    (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (11/09/05)
    Communication Port Communications
    Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer
    Port (LPT1)

    Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce
    7600 GT (256 MB)
    Monitor Plug and Play
    Monitor [NoDB] (HSGA105111)

    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter BrookTree Bt878
    Video Capture Device - Audio Section
    Audio Adapter Creative SB0410
    SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card

    Network:
    Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce
    Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport (192.168.1.2)

    Andreas
    Andreas Schwartmann, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Andreas Schwartmann

    Rick Guest

    Since you have a x2 CPU, there is a replacement .DLL for Thunderbird.
    The timeout is caused by program not adhering to a single core. The
    file you download from Mozilla is nspr4.dll. The file is used by both
    Thunderbird and FireFox, but you don't notice the "Time-Out" problem in
    FireFox. However, after I replace the .DLL in both locations it seemed
    FireFox was more responsive while surfing.

    I don't know about OE since I never use it, but I'm surprised you don't
    get the 'time out' in XP 32-bit also. I did. There is also a a
    multi-core patch for XP 32-bit. You have to contact Microsoft for the
    link and a password to get the file. The phone call is free.

    Rick, Apr 2, 2006
  7. Andreas Schwartmann

    Rick Guest

    Another problem is the nVidia firewall. It causes problems in Win x64.
    The solution is to install the firewall and then un-install it.

    Rick, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Rick wrote:
    > Since you have a x2 CPU, there is a replacement .DLL for Thunderbird.
    > The timeout is caused by program not adhering to a single core. The
    > file you download from Mozilla is nspr4.dll.

    Thanks, this did the trick.

    :)

    Regards,
    Andreas