    before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains. Would this be
    considered to be about normal?
    Bob

    Bob B, Sep 19, 2006

  2. Bob B wrote:

    [Time]

    The time is about a quarter-past-nine.

    > I have a Dell XP Media Edition SP2
    > When I switch on my computer it takes about 58/60 seconds before I can
    > use it to get on the Internet or check my mail and then about 14/15
    > seconds before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains.
    > Would this be considered to be about normal?

    60 seconds to boot Windows XP? That's pretty fast. So is 15 seconds to
    shut down.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2006

  3. On 2006-09-19, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Bob B gibbered:
    > I have a Dell XP Media Edition SP2
    > When I switch on my computer it takes about 58/60 seconds before I can use
    > it to get on the Internet or check my mail and then about 14/15 seconds
    > before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains. Would this be
    > considered to be about normal?
    > Bob

    Actually, those times are'nt bad at all.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 19, 2006
  4. Bob B

    Loader Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell XP Media Edition SP2
    > When I switch on my computer it takes about 58/60 seconds before I can use
    > it to get on the Internet or check my mail and then about 14/15 seconds
    > before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains. Would this be
    > considered to be about normal?
    > Bob

    Hi
    Unfortunately this really ain't the group to get helpful answers.
    Also the nutter margolotta is lurking again. She dosen't actually
    own a computer, she just hogs the family mac. But from details
    she posted in another group her parents have had enough of her?
    I only mention her as you are an NTL'er, and she always targets
    them.
    The times you noted, it's just applications and processes loading.
    and when powering down, processes closing. And yes all pretty
    normal, just one example. You may have noticed the icons
    appearing in the system tray (Where clock is) These are apps

    Loader, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Bob B

    richard Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell XP Media Edition SP2
    > When I switch on my computer it takes about 58/60 seconds before I can use
    > it to get on the Internet or check my mail and then about 14/15 seconds
    > before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains. Would this be
    > considered to be about normal?
    > Bob

    Compared to my Dell 4300, that seems a tad fast actually. One technician
    told me it booted up 3 times faster than his machine.
    This would be, assuming, from a cold boot? that is, power off?
    Why turn it off? Just put it on standby mode.
    I generally set mine to go on standby after 5 hours.

    richard, Sep 19, 2006
  6. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Dell XP Media Edition SP2
    >> When I switch on my computer it takes about 58/60 seconds before I can
    >> use it to get on the Internet or check my mail and then about 14/15
    >> seconds before it switches off and I can turn it off at the mains. Would
    >> this be considered to be about normal?
    >> Bob

    > Compared to my Dell 4300, that seems a tad fast actually. One technician
    > told me it booted up 3 times faster than his machine.
    > This would be, assuming, from a cold boot? that is, power off?
    > Why turn it off? Just put it on standby mode.
    > I generally set mine to go on standby after 5 hours.

    I think it is more habit than anything else as to why I turn mine fully off
    after use so it always needs a cold boot to start..which I do about 3 times
    a day.
    A couple of things that slowed my computer down was that it automatically
    loaded a few programmes that I could start manually so I stopped those
    through the programe themselves or using the system configeration utility.
    I also have reverted back to the old google deskbar as this dosen't index
    everything like the latest version with sidebar and which seemed to slow my
    computer from turning off.

    Bob.>

    Bob B, Sep 19, 2006