    remember, but only once.

    Any ideas, anyone?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    DST began on the 11th in the US and all my systems added the hour that day.
    Total 3 hours for my triple boot machine.

    John Barnes, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Wow!

    That's one heck of an efficient summer we've got ahead of us.

    Yes, I do see how multi-booting could present an issue - but that was one of
    the reasons why, some time last year, I turned on this option in the router.
    I dare say, I hoped that would have taken care of it. Yet, if it did, I'm
    still confused as to why it added an hour on both - and at separate dates -
    occations, because that should be a whole different kind of issue
    altogether?

    Of the two machines (both dual-booting) that I checked today, one has the
    correct adjustment of one hour happening today.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Tony Sperling

    Dshai Guest

    Just a thought here, no inflection or insinuation intended, but on the
    machine that added 2 hours, is it possible that one of the OS's is set for a
    US time-zone by accident or mistake? Would this not possibly cause the error
    you've experienced? As I said, just a thought...

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Mar 31, 2007
  5. Well, that is one thing I didn't consider - it's not a bad idea, either.
    Traditionally, various stuff that you installed had the good tact to look at
    your Windows version before presenting any on-screen info that was language
    dependent - nowadays, nobody gives a shit, they just go by your location, so
    I may have done something of the sort to avoid the most idioticly brainless
    attempts at translating what is essentially 'argot'.

    In the 'good old days' there was a much used term 'computerese', that nobody
    uses any more. When a French, German and Spanish speaking person is
    confronted with a Computer, he thinks the language and the terminology is
    English, and will ask for a translation, nobody tells him that an English
    speaking person is confronted with exactly the same language barrier. What
    everybody needs is an introduction and explanation to the argot in their own
    language.

    With every Computer oriented advertisement, the idea is imprinted that this
    is like buying a 'fridge' or a 'telly' - plug it in, put in a six-pack, and
    in half an hour you'll have cold beer - nothing prepares them that this is
    actually more difficult and takes much more effort than learning to drive a
    car, for which they'll gladly pay a month's wages. Then try and explain that
    they'll need to learn a whole new language. . .( i.e. - the argot!)

    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rant, but so much hard earned knowledge is being
    wasted today. . .and the rest of us are left with no instructions on how to
    avoid exposure from the idiocy. (Hrmph - Growl!)

    Thanks, though! I'll go have a look at this, could turn out to be helpfull
    in September. (Or is that October, now? This whole DST affair, that's it's
    own form of Idiocy entirely.)

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Apr 1, 2007