Time Warner Telecom Calls on FCC to Support Competitive Telecom Market by Imposing Conditions to AT&

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Knowing About, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Time Warner Telecom (NASDAQ: TWTC) , a leading provider of voice and
    data networking solutions to businesses across the country, today
    called on the FCC to rigorously review the proposed AT&T-BellSouth
    merger and not approve such a merger, absent regulatory conditions that
    fully address the consequences of the merger for business customers.

    "The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) approved the AT&T-BellSouth
    merger without conditions that would have addressed the consequences of
    the merger for business customers," said Paul Jones, Senior Vice
    President and General Counsel, Time Warner Telecom. "This makes it
    all the more important that the FCC thoroughly review the merger and
    impose appropriate conditions.

    "Time Warner Telecom is an innovative competitor that derives most of
    its revenue from services delivered over its own fiber network. We are
    one of the largest competitive service providers of business-class
    services with over 6,400 commercial buildings directly connected to our
    own fiber network. In contrast, AT&T and BellSouth have local
    facilities serving literally hundreds of thousands of commercial
    buildings. In the situations where we must use incumbent carrier local
    transmission facilities to reach distant customer locations, we, and
    other industry competitors, need regulatory checks on incumbent
    monopoly power to enable competition while protecting business
    customers from higher prices and degraded service quality.

    "I therefore urge the FCC to thoroughly review the proposed merger
    and not to approve the merger without conditions that fully address the
    merged firms exercise of market power," Jones added.

    For further information about voip you can visit
    http://www.knowingabout.com/voip

    Knowing About, Oct 13, 2006