    Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie
    Vonage)?

    , Oct 2, 2006

  2. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with
    > his cable provider (Time Warner). When he called them, they said he'd
    > have to have a new number, because the local community didn't allow
    > number porting...
    >
    > He's reluctant because he's had this phone number for ~40 years.
    >
    > Anyone else heard of this?
    >
    > Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie
    > Vonage)?

    Pretty common. If he waits 6 mos it may change.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 2, 2006

  3. hdtv? Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with
    > his cable provider (Time Warner). When he called them, they said he'd
    > have to have a new number, because the local community didn't allow
    > number porting...
    >
    > He's reluctant because he's had this phone number for ~40 years.
    >
    > Anyone else heard of this?
    >
    > Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie
    > Vonage)?

    I ported my Sprint # to Packet8 without a problem. After a year with Packet
    8 I changed to SunRocket.
    6 months later my # has not been ported.
    None of the providers appear to offer any guarantees on transferring an
    existing phone #.

    hdtv?, Oct 3, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill Guest

    hdtv? wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with
    >>his cable provider (Time Warner). When he called them, they said he'd
    >>have to have a new number, because the local community didn't allow
    >>number porting...
    >>
    >>He's reluctant because he's had this phone number for ~40 years.
    >>
    >>Anyone else heard of this?
    >>
    >>Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie
    >>Vonage)?

    > I ported my Sprint # to Packet8 without a problem. After a year with Packet
    > 8 I changed to SunRocket.
    > 6 months later my # has not been ported.
    > None of the providers appear to offer any guarantees on transferring an
    > existing phone #.

    They only guarantee p;orting CERTAIN numbers - i.e. where they
    have reached an agreement on the procedure with the "owner" of the
    numbers - i.e. the company who runs the CO where the numbers live.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 3, 2006
  5. Guest

    ViaTalk claims to port within 20 business days, and in my case they did
    it in 10, from Sprint/Embarq. I had my phone number for a much shorter
    time, but giving it up would have been a major hassle, so I can
    empathize with your father-in-law. Open a ticket with their tech
    support to be sure.

    Thanks,

    Thomas
    See review at: http://www.betterphone.org

    wrote:
    > My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with
    > his cable provider (Time Warner). When he called them, they said he'd
    > have to have a new number, because the local community didn't allow
    > number porting...
    >
    > He's reluctant because he's had this phone number for ~40 years.
    >
    > Anyone else heard of this?
    >
    > Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie
    > Vonage)?

    , Oct 5, 2006