Time Warner digital phone calls 911 by itself!

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by jcaywood@austin.rr.com, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have TW digital phone and about 6 weeks ago I had a 2nd line
    installed (which I don't use much - only a few people know the number).
    I have a Durabrand model PH-5595 wired phone connected to it along
    with a Plantronics HL10 telephone handset lifted. Everything worked
    fine until yesterday.
    A little after 6:00 AM yesterday morning the police came to my house
    and said they had rec'd a 911 hangup call (from this 2nd line) and when
    they tried to call it back they got only static.
    Then last night arond midnight, the police came again and said they had
    rec'd a 911 hangup call and got only static when they called back.
    This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
    someone dailed from this phone:
    05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
    05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
    05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
    23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
    23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
    23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

    NO ONE dialed this phone - My wife and I are the only ones here and we
    were asleep in the same room as the only phone connected to this
    number!

    TW said that either someone here dialed the phone or the phone did it
    automatically. When I told this to the Durabrand (lenoxx) rep, he
    thought I was crazy and advvised that the phone could not dial a number
    unless I had it programed with the number, had it on speakerphone, and
    pressed send.

    Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Any suggestions? TW
    told me that my phone may not be compatible and to get a new phone but
    it seems to me that if a phone was not compatible, it would not wait 6
    weeks to show problems.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I apologize if this is not a proper question for this group but I did
    not know where else to go.
    I also posted this in alt.onlineservices.roadrunner

    Thanks

    Jerry Caywood

    , Jun 20, 2006

  2. "" <> writes:
    > Has anyone heard of anything like this happening?

    This used to happen quite a bit in the old pulse-dial days. Various
    possibilities (off the top of my head):

    1) shorting phone-line wires

    2) failing phone that randomly pulses

    3) failing ATA that thinks it hears pulses

    4) a badly secured ATA that has attracted the attention of kiddies.

    The fact that the cops managed to call the phone and hear static seems
    to indicate that the phone (or phone wire) is partially shorted and
    imitates an off-hook phone.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 20, 2006

  3. "" <> wrote:
    >This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
    >someone dailed from this phone:
    >05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
    >05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
    >05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
    >23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
    >23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
    >23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

    Have TW give you a new T/A.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 20, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >>This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
    >>someone dailed from this phone:
    >>05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
    >>05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
    >>05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
    >>23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
    >>23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
    >>23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

    > Have TW give you a new T/A.

    AND get a UPS! (uninterruptible power supply) small power glitches can
    cause this sort of electronic ghost!

    Rick Merrill, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Onion Knight Guest

    Do you have any pets?

    --
    OK

    Onion Knight, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their help.
    The phone that was dialing by itself was only about 6 weeks old, so
    the batteries were new. TW said it was the phone. No way could it be
    their lines! Hmmm
    There were no kids around, no burglar alarm, no pets, nothing programed
    into speed-dial, nothing!

    Anyway, I went to radio shack and bought a new phone and replaced the
    old one. I also plugged the Handset lifter into a surge protector. So
    far, no calls to 911 anyway. At least the cops ahven't awekened me at
    midnight checking on us.

    Thanks again for everyone's comments.

    , Jun 25, 2006
  7. " wrote on 25. June 2006:

    > Thanks to everyone for their help.
    > The phone that was dialing by itself was only about 6 weeks old, so
    > the batteries were new. TW said it was the phone. No way could it be
    > their lines! Hmmm
    > There were no kids around, no burglar alarm, no pets, nothing programed
    > into speed-dial, nothing!
    >
    > Anyway, I went to radio shack and bought a new phone and replaced the
    > old one. I also plugged the Handset lifter into a surge protector. So
    > far, no calls to 911 anyway. At least the cops ahven't awekened me at
    > midnight checking on us.
    >
    > Thanks again for everyone's comments.

    May be the phone allows to block some numbers? Okay, blocking 911 is
    probably as bad idea in case you need to dial it, but...
    --
    Andreas
    PGP Key available on public key servers

    Andreas Kohlbach, Jul 1, 2006
  8. carrottop1960

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Time Warner 911

    I've been having the same issue on and off for about 4 or 5 years. I've had 2 different phones and 2 different phone numbers. My 911 calls were hangups, as well as someone breathing hard on the line. I honestly believe that someone has hacked into my line, but Time Warner doesn't want to accept any responsibility on their part. I have been issued a citation, and my 15 year old autistic son has been threatened to be taken to the Department of Juvenile Justice. NO ONE has been physically making these calls, and I finally had a witness from the local EMS. I currently have no phone service, because TW came today and disconnected it. If anyone knows how to trace a hacker, please let me know!!!

    carrottop1960, Jan 3, 2013