    for my last bit of critical hardware (my Samsung laser ML-1510
    Laserprinter).

    See you on the other side... :)
    Mark Gillespie, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Welcome.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 7, 2005

  3. On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:37:13 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > Welcome.

    Well I'm back, on the 64bit side. The install was annoying as hell. 2
    hours to screw around getting my SATA drive recognised during install
    (evtually rummaging through boxes in the attic trying to find a floppy
    disk drive and a 1.44mb disks that are not damaged), 15 minutes to do the
    rest of the install...

    X64 rocks, the install sucks pretty bad... Mind you Vista B1 never worked
    on the same system (Asus A8V board).
    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Well, you'll get no sympathy on the F6 question, since you had to know going
    in you'd need to do it -- enough of us have talked about what it takes to
    get the A8V working. ;) And no one is going to disagree that the install
    sucks. That's one thing I'll be very glad to see the backside of in Vista.

    Interestingly, I haven't tried Vista yet on either of my x64 desktops, so
    have no comparison. It's running, sort of, on my Ferrari, but I think I'll
    wait till at least beta 2 before I move over to it more than occasionally.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 8, 2005
  5. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:28:59 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > Well, you'll get no sympathy on the F6 question, since you had to know
    > going
    > in you'd need to do it -- enough of us have talked about what it takes to
    > get the A8V working. ;)

    Yep, I was well aware that it was going to be a pain in the butt. Part of
    the reason I put it off for so long. I was kinda hoping that playing with
    the USB emulation types in my BIOS, may present my USB stick to the OS as
    a floppy drive. It did for the setup initial driver load, but did not for
    the copying bit.

    Still pain over with (until next time). Things are running sweet enough,
    just putting everything back on that I had on my old system.
    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Just make sure its not 5219.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 8, 2005
  7. OK, I could have told you that wouldn't work (BTDT), but I can't blame you
    for trying. I really will NOT miss this installer!

    Yes, the real pain is getting everything set up as you want it. You _can_
    use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, but I sometimes think it's more
    pain than it's worth. And I've used MS Business Desktop Deployment which now
    supports x64 -- but that's really only a solution if you're doing dozens or
    more desktops.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Currently at 5219. It's not all that happy, though others have gotten it to
    work better. (Barb, for one.) Since it's not anywhere near real Beta 2, I'm
    not actually expecting much. When it gets there, then I'll get serious.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 8, 2005
  9. I hope the next build is much more stable, IE and OE on 5219 is just
    horrible. The address bar trembles and usually does not load the page and OE
    loads like molasses and at times Vista just slows down and suffers from a
    heart attack, but I suspect that has something to do with the indexing
    service.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    > Currently at 5219. It's not all that happy, though others have gotten it
    > to work better. (Barb, for one.) Since it's not anywhere near real Beta 2,
    > I'm not actually expecting much. When it gets there, then I'll get
    > serious.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >> Just make sure its not 5219.

    >>> Well, you'll get no sympathy on the F6 question, since you had to know
    >>> going in you'd need to do it -- enough of us have talked about what it
    >>> takes to get the A8V working. ;) And no one is going to disagree that
    >>> the
    >>> install sucks. That's one thing I'll be very glad to see the backside of
    >>> in Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Interestingly, I haven't tried Vista yet on either of my x64 desktops,
    >>> so
    >>> have no comparison. It's running, sort of, on my Ferrari, but I think
    >>> I'll wait till at least beta 2 before I move over to it more than
    >>> occasionally. --
    >>> Charlie.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 8, 2005
  10. Mark Gillespie

    Arion Guest

    Charlie.... Can you point me to the discussions about what it takes to get
    the A8V board running? I've been going through the newsgroups and can't seem
    to find any information. So far the only way I can install is if I have XP
    installed first (no clean install yet)
    XP Pro 64 works like a charm here except printer and webcam drivers. No luck
    using anything later.

    --
    Arion

    Arion, Oct 10, 2005
  11. They're in the early days of the NG, and have probably scrolled. Several of
    us are running the A8V, though, so there's no secrets about it. (Mark has
    been around since those early days, so I didn't mind tweeking him a little
    about it.)

    Basically, if you're not running SATA, there's nothing special -- Update the
    BIOS to the most recent from Asus; use good, matched RAM; don't expect
    anything to work that plugs into the USB ports (beyond keyboard/mouse/USB
    drive) unless you have verified the driver status; and apply the latest
    motherboard drivers, etc., from the Asus site.

    If you're running SATA, do NOT use the Promise controller. Use the VIA
    controller -- that's the two SATA connectors next to the VIA chip in the
    lower right hand quarter of the board. And use F6 and the appropriate VIA
    drivers on a floppy to load x64 Edition. Drivers are available on the ASUS
    site, the VIA site (viaarena.com) and planetamd64.com.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 10, 2005
  12. Mark Gillespie

    Arion Guest

    Thanks Charlie.... I don't use SATA here anyway. But I haven't been able to
    do a clean install yet. I thought maybe that was the known issue.

    --
    Arion Thedy [330591]

    > They're in the early days of the NG, and have probably scrolled. Several
    > of us are running the A8V, though, so there's no secrets about it. (Mark
    > has been around since those early days, so I didn't mind tweeking him a
    > little about it.)
    >
    > Basically, if you're not running SATA, there's nothing special -- Update
    > the BIOS to the most recent from Asus; use good, matched RAM; don't expect
    > anything to work that plugs into the USB ports (beyond keyboard/mouse/USB
    > drive) unless you have verified the driver status; and apply the latest
    > motherboard drivers, etc., from the Asus site.
    >
    > If you're running SATA, do NOT use the Promise controller. Use the VIA
    > controller -- that's the two SATA connectors next to the VIA chip in the
    > lower right hand quarter of the board. And use F6 and the appropriate VIA
    > drivers on a floppy to load x64 Edition. Drivers are available on the ASUS
    > site, the VIA site (viaarena.com) and planetamd64.com.
    >

    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > Arion wrote:
    >> Charlie.... Can you point me to the discussions about what it takes to
    >> get
    >> the A8V board running? I've been going through the newsgroups and can't
    >> seem to find any information. So far the only way I can install is if I
    >> have XP installed first (no clean install yet)
    >> XP Pro 64 works like a charm here except printer and webcam drivers. No
    >> luck using anything later.

    >>> Well, you'll get no sympathy on the F6 question, since you had to know
    >>> going in you'd need to do it -- enough of us have talked about what it
    >>> takes to get the A8V working. ;) And no one is going to disagree that
    >>> the
    >>> install sucks. That's one thing I'll be very glad to see the backside of
    >>> in Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Interestingly, I haven't tried Vista yet on either of my x64 desktops,
    >>> so
    >>> have no comparison. It's running, sort of, on my Ferrari, but I think
    >>> I'll wait till at least beta 2 before I move over to it more than
    >>> occasionally. --
    >>> Charlie.

    Arion, Oct 11, 2005
  13. With PATA, just make sure that the Promise controller is disabled in BIOS.
    And that your drive is plugged into the PRI_IDE connector, not the RAID
    connector. (Blue connector up near the RAM slots, NOT the black one down in
    the lower right hand quarter.)

    Remove any stray USB devices before installing. (keyboard and mouse should
    be fine. But nothing else.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64