time to scrap tv theme songs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dvdguy2@webtv.net, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    dsappear altogether.

    While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
    because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.

    Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
    tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.

    But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
    start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
    on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
    in row when you watch a whole season at once.

    and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
    the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
    returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
    have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.

    Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
    only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    , Feb 10, 2005

  2. David Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    > hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    > dsappear altogether.
    >
    > While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
    > because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.

    Themes don't mean that much to me. Sure, I know every syllable of the Brady
    Bunch and Gilligan's Island. But out of hundreds (thousands?) of songs
    burned permanently into my brain, only a few dozen are themes.

    Looks like we can't avoid having our shows' time trimmed by an extra
    commercial or two--they do have to pay for the show and make a profit--so
    cutting the theme works for me. I'd rather have 30-60 seconds more of LOST
    than expand the theme song, which now last probably only 5-10 seconds.

    Dave
    Earguy

    David, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Biz Guest

    chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
    here...

    Biz, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make

    sure
    > the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit

    on
    > returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places

    do
    > have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    > long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
    >
    > Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    > usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    > episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc,

    there's
    > only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    Wow, if they had some way to like go forward fast or something on these
    DVD players.

    Brian

    Default User, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Guest

    chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
    here...

    not quite my point. I wasn't complaining about theme songs. Although
    some other people have. And they have said that some tv show dvd's don't
    let you skip the heme song when you chapter skip. The chapter skip
    simply takes you to the beginning of the next episode. (only on some
    titles).

    I myself like theme songs. I even like them on the shows on dvd for
    the shows that had them. I even said I hate to see them disappear and
    that I still want them on every episode that originally had them on dvd.

    I was simply pointing out that as some others have said, maybe the time
    to get rid of them has come.
    and as another person said, since there's more commercials on tv now
    than there used to be, more of the actual show without a theme song is
    more preferrable to less of a show with the same them song.

    Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
    sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
    but not counting the commercials).

    anyone can test this theirselves.

    , Feb 10, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    > hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    > dsappear altogether.
    >
    > While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
    > because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.
    >
    > Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
    > tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.
    >
    > But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
    > start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
    > on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
    > in row when you watch a whole season at once.
    >
    > and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
    > the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
    > returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
    > have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    > long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
    >
    > Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    > usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    > episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
    > only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    It'd be a real shame if they did. If they had done that in the
    late-'60s, imagine watching 'The Brady Bunch' w/ no opening theme
    song... just the actors names during the opening scene.

    Freddie Highmore fan, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Default User" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >
    >> and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make

    > sure
    >> the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit

    > on
    >> returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places

    > do
    >> have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    >> long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
    >>
    >> Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    >> usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    >> episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc,

    > there's
    >> only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    > Wow, if they had some way to like go forward fast or something on
    > these
    > DVD players.

    In DVDguy2's world, the DVD players that have fast forward functions
    cost $10,000,000 and are sold in stores next to the 2.35:1 TVs.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Jorabi Guest

    <> wrote ...
    > Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
    > sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
    > but not counting the commercials). anyone can test this theirselves.

    20-22 minutes.

    Jorabi, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:28:22 -0500, wrote:

    > chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
    > here...
    >
    > not quite my point. I wasn't complaining about theme songs. Although
    > some other people have. And they have said that some tv show dvd's don't
    > let you skip the heme song when you chapter skip. The chapter skip
    > simply takes you to the beginning of the next episode. (only on some
    > titles).

    There's still the fast forward button on your remote, yes?

    > I was simply pointing out that as some others have said, maybe the time
    > to get rid of them has come.
    > and as another person said, since there's more commercials on tv now
    > than there used to be, more of the actual show without a theme song is
    > more preferrable to less of a show with the same them song.

    In case you didn't notice, the theme songs play over the intro credit
    sequence. So unless the eliminate credits and actually having some
    identifier as to what show it is, the theme song will probably stay. I do
    think credit sequences and themes have shortened over the years though.
    Sometimes intro credit sequences are cut short for episodes that run a
    little long. The Simpsons regularly had an abbreviated intro.

    > Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
    > sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
    > but not counting the commercials).

    As has been pointed out, first-run sitcoms run about 20-22 minutes.

    What DVDs offer is the capability for longer episodes. Many shows have
    filmed scenes that get shortened or cut for time before broadcast. What
    DVD can offer is to restore these extended cuts for home viewing. Some
    examples are extended pilots on the sets for Arrested Development and
    Sledge Hammer! I think the Highlander TV sets also show the longer,
    European cuts of the show.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 11, 2005
  10. wrote:

    > I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    > hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    > dsappear altogether.

    Actually, the industry and the networks WERE ready to scrap themes as a
    basic rule (the same way end-credits have now become "officially" extinct)--

    This was back in the mid-90's, and what, you ask, singlehandedly saved
    themes' behinds at the networks at the last minute?:

    <Rembrandts guitar riff for "Friends" theme>...

    Derek Janssen (now, aren't you GLAD??) :)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Guest

    In DVDguy2's world, the DVD players that have fast forward functions
    cost $10,000,000 and are sold in stores next to the 2.35:1 TVs.

    no, the tv shows where I am have not switched to a 2.35 aspct rratio.

    they switched to a different aspect ratio.

    Remember when the digital HD network broadcasts of (4:30 football used
    color side bars instead of black side bars, so that 16:9sets would
    maintain the original intended 4:3 aspect ratio picture with colored
    sidebars instead of black sidebars.

    Well, several tv stations in my area have switched to using colored bars
    around the new aspect ratio also. But the new aspect ratio in my area is
    circular.

    That's right. Some of the tv shows in my area have switched to the
    shape of a circle with colored bars all around the picture. (when
    watched on a square 4:3 tv)

    The only thing is, I can't figure out what the aspect ratio od a circle
    is.

    What is the aspect ratio of a circle?

    How would these be labeled on dvd?

    , Feb 11, 2005
  12. Biz Guest

    please go back on your meds...better yet, let me know where you live in NE
    Ohio so I can forcefeed them to you....

    Biz, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Terwilliger Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:36:34 -0500, wrote:

    >I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    >hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    >dsappear altogether.
    >
    >While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
    >because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.
    >
    >Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
    >tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.
    >
    >But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
    >start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
    >on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
    >in row when you watch a whole season at once.
    >
    >and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
    >the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
    >returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
    >have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    >long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
    >
    >Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    >usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    >episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
    >only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    Lost has the best theme ;-)

    __
    Help Ward Churchill http://www.petitiononline.com/ma1234/petition.html

    Terwilliger, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Jorabi Guest

    "Terwilliger" ...

    > Lost has the best theme ;-)

    lol. But IMO Medium has a great theme/opening sequence.
    It feels like a movie. Many of the scenes and look of
    the show have a movie feel too.

    Jorabi, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Terwilliger Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:16:22 GMT, "Jorabi" <> wrote:

    >"Terwilliger" ...
    >>
    >> Lost has the best theme ;-)

    >lol. But IMO Medium has a great theme/opening sequence.
    >It feels like a movie. Many of the scenes and look of
    >the show have a movie feel too.

    I'll have to watch that sometime.

    One thing I love about the internets is that most of the good shows
    are continuously uploaded and downloaded, so if I decide I want to
    check out a show that I haven't seen (like I did with Battlestar
    Galactica 2004), I can download all the shows and watch them at my
    leisure.

    __
    Help Ward Churchill http://www.petitiononline.com/ma1234/petition.html

    Terwilliger, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Jon Purkey Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:36:34 -0500, wrote:

    >and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
    >the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
    >returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
    >have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    >long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.

    There are programs (such as DVDInfo and CDCheck) that can check DVDs
    for errors. You don't need to watch them.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 11, 2005
  17. Guest

    There are programs (such as DVDInfo and CDCheck) that can check DVDs for
    errors. You don't need to watch them.
    --------------------------------------

    But those, and the stores, don't count mono copies of stereo episodes as
    being "defective" dvd's.

    While I do count them as "defective, the same as I would if I ended up
    with a dvd of every Smallville episode on the disc being only in black
    and white instead of color.

    such as if a new small legitimate dvd company somehow inadvertenly used
    copies of Smallville pirated by people using camcorders to record
    Smallville off an old black and white tv set, and the new dvd company
    not checking out their masters are the legitimate color stereo surround
    episodes.

    , Feb 11, 2005

  19. Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
    > hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
    > dsappear altogether.
    >
    > While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
    > because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.
    >
    > Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
    > tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.
    >
    > But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
    > start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
    > on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
    > in row when you watch a whole season at once.
    >
    > and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
    > the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
    > returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
    > have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
    > long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
    >
    > Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
    > usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
    > episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
    > only four days left to return it if it's defective.

    ===========================
    Stick two bananas in your ears and wiggle your toes.
    Got meds?

    Richard C., Feb 11, 2005
  20. Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In DVDguy2's world, the DVD players that have fast forward functions
    > cost $10,000,000 and are sold in stores next to the 2.35:1 TVs.
    >
    > no, the tv shows where I am have not switched to a 2.35 aspct rratio.
    >
    > they switched to a different aspect ratio.
    >
    > Remember when the digital HD network broadcasts of (4:30 football used
    > color side bars instead of black side bars, so that 16:9sets would
    > maintain the original intended 4:3 aspect ratio picture with colored
    > sidebars instead of black sidebars.
    >
    > Well, several tv stations in my area have switched to using colored bars
    > around the new aspect ratio also. But the new aspect ratio in my area is
    > circular.
    >
    > That's right. Some of the tv shows in my area have switched to the
    > shape of a circle with colored bars all around the picture. (when
    > watched on a square 4:3 tv)
    >
    > The only thing is, I can't figure out what the aspect ratio od a circle
    > is.
    >
    > What is the aspect ratio of a circle?
    >
    > How would these be labeled on dvd?

    Are you smoking old sox?
    They could be labeled as dvdguyhallucinationshows!

    Richard C., Feb 11, 2005