time to salivate at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bolshoi, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. Bolshoi

    Bolshoi Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Bolshoi

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:17:44 -0800 (PST), Bolshoi
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

    Why salivate at:
    * More noise from more megapixels
    * Less image quality and/or lens speed from longer zoom range
    Bigger isn't necessarily better. ;)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Bolshoi

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:43:50 GMT, John Navas
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:17:44 -0800 (PST), Bolshoi
    ><> wrote in
    ><>:
    >
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

    >Why salivate at:
    >* More noise from more megapixels
    >* Less image quality and/or lens speed from longer zoom range
    >Bigger isn't necessarily better. ;)

    The one thing possibly appealing to me was 15 fps shooting, but that's
    only at 1.2 megapixels, which is too low to be useful for me.

    Can you say, "numbers game"? I thought you could! :)

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Bolshoi

    Bolshoi Guest

    > Bigger isn't necessarily better. ;)

    your wife is lying John.....;-)
    Bolshoi, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    Bolshoi wrote:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

    - distortion at the 26mm equivalent focal length?
    - noise and image quality at ISO 3200?
    - lack of slow shutter speeds (for nighttime pictures at low ISO)
    - non-standard storage (no CF or SD)
    - EVF resolution?

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Bolshoi

    Bolshoi Guest

    Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    On 23 Jan, 07:53, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > Bolshoi wrote:
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

    > - distortion at the 26mm equivalent focal length?
    > - noise and image quality at ISO 3200?
    > - lack of slow shutter speeds (for nighttime pictures at low ISO)
    > - non-standard storage (no CF or SD)
    > - EVF resolution?
    >
    > David

    are there any + in your view ??
    Bolshoi, Jan 23, 2008
  7. Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    Bolshoi wrote:
    > On 23 Jan, 07:53, "David J Taylor" <-
    > this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Bolshoi wrote:
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

    >> - distortion at the 26mm equivalent focal length?
    >> - noise and image quality at ISO 3200?
    >> - lack of slow shutter speeds (for nighttime pictures at low ISO)
    >> - non-standard storage (no CF or SD)
    >> - EVF resolution?
    >>
    >> David

    > are there any + in your view ??

    "wonder" was meant in the sense of "question" rather than "marvel at". I
    realised that after I posted it!

    Having the wider angle might be good, depending on the image quality. How
    the camera handles and the complication or simplicity may also be
    important to a potential purchaser.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2008
  8. Bolshoi

    Bolshoi Guest

    Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    On 23 Jan, 10:31, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > Bolshoi wrote:
    > > On 23 Jan, 07:53, "David J Taylor" <-
    > > this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > >> - distortion at the 26mm equivalent focal length?
    > >> - noise and image quality at ISO 3200?
    > >> - lack of slow shutter speeds (for nighttime pictures at low ISO)
    > >> - non-standard storage (no CF or SD)
    > >> - EVF resolution?

    > >> David

    > > are there any + in your view ??

    > "wonder" was meant in the sense of "question" rather than "marvel at". I
    > realised that after I posted it!
    >
    > Having the wider angle might be good, depending on the image quality. How
    > the camera handles and the complication or simplicity may also be
    > important to a potential purchaser.
    >
    > David

    but 26-520 is interesting, don't you think ?? and all for £400
    I see the 550 is now £165, an absolute bargain !
    Bolshoi, Jan 23, 2008
  9. Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    Bolshoi wrote:
    []
    > but 26-520 is interesting, don't you think ?? and all for £400
    > I see the 550 is now £165, an absolute bargain !

    Well, not with a 10MP sensor, no. 5MP is quite adequate considering the
    physical sensor size and hence the noise characteristics. Yes, I will be
    interested to see how bad the distortion in the lens is, once the reviews
    come out. How long until the 570 is marked down to £165? The 550 was new
    less than a year ago. 550, 560, 570. Seems like it's taking Olympus a
    number of iterations to get things sorted out.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2008
  10. Bolshoi

    Bolshoi Guest

    Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    On 23 Jan, 13:03, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > Bolshoi wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > > but 26-520 is interesting, don't you think ?? and all for £400
    > > I see the 550 is now £165, an absolute bargain !

    > Well, not with a 10MP sensor, no. 5MP is quite adequate considering the
    > physical sensor size and hence the noise characteristics. Yes, I will be
    > interested to see how bad the distortion in the lens is, once the reviews
    > come out. How long until the 570 is marked down to £165? The 550 was new
    > less than a year ago. 550, 560, 570. Seems like it's taking Olympus a
    > number of iterations to get things sorted out.
    >
    > David

    Indeed, I didn't see the point of the 560, and I will also wait for
    reviews of the 570.

    I think their ideology is that they have to produce something new on a
    timetable regardless of whether it really is a useful advance or not.
    And some people prefer the latest gadget......

    But I am happy with the 550, the + outweigh the - for me. I carried
    round a box of lenses for some years and I prefer the simplicity of
    having everything in one hand.
    Bolshoi, Jan 23, 2008
  11. Re: time to wonder at the prospect of an Olympus 570uz....

    Bolshoi wrote:
    []
    > But I am happy with the 550, the + outweigh the - for me. I carried
    > round a box of lenses for some years and I prefer the simplicity of
    > having everything in one hand.

    I appreciate what you mean. I've had a variety of small-sensor cameras
    most recently the Panasonic FZ5 and TZ3, which provide long zoom coverage
    and, with the TZ3, 28mm wide-angle as well. But quite a lot of my photos
    are indoors ones of moving subjects, and I find the ability to use my DSLR
    at ISO 1600 provides a big gain in my picture-taking opportunities. I
    compared the weight on my small sensor cameras (FZ5 + Nikon 8400) and the
    DSLR which replaced them (Nikon D40 + 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses) and it
    was almost the same. I've recently added the Nikon 70-300mm VR zoom
    giving me a 450mm focal length, about the same as the FZ5.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 24, 2008