    software can't be utilized to remove it easily because there are
    situations where there is no need for fear moire, even without a
    filter and you can gain up to a 40% jump in resolution.
    Rich, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Rich

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Not completely dispense with them, but make it (somehow) so they could
    > be removed when needed. Output from cameras with weak moire filters
    > is often startling good, but of course in situations where you have
    > tightly-spaced linear detail, you can end up with moire. It's a pity
    > software can't be utilized to remove it easily because there are
    > situations where there is no need for fear moire, even without a
    > filter and you can gain up to a 40% jump in resolution.

    Nikon tried it on the D70 and users complained of false colors appearing in
    various types of subjects with fine repeating detail. The D70s and other
    models had stonger filters put in. Seeing the Leica M8 review makes me think
    not having the filter is a mistake as the color moire effect is present
    around many areas of high contrast detail. IMO, more artifacts in a digital
    image are undesireable. The upside to this is the great advantage shooting
    in B&W.
    John
    JohnR66, Aug 2, 2007