    Interested in comments and feed back.

    See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.

    www.retroshift.com

    rodc, Mar 20, 2005

  2. "rodc" <> writes:

    > I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
    > comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
    >
    > Interested in comments and feed back.
    >
    > See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
    >
    > www.retroshift.com

    I get just one image out of each sequence, I *think*. The site
    navigation is so bizarre I'm really not sure I'm doing the right
    thing, though. I have a working quicktime plugin on my system. Your
    test link does the same weird thing -- I get one still image and no
    controls.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 20, 2005

  3. rodc

    ecm Guest

    rodc wrote:
    > I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
    > comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
    >
    > Interested in comments and feed back.
    >
    > See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
    >
    > www.retroshift.com

    Yes, with a lot of experimentation I can see what you're trying to do.
    Quite entertaining, actually, it's a good concept. Grabbing the
    quicktime slider and dragging it manually back and forth seems to give
    the biggest "bang" (to me, anyways;-). You'll need to do a lot more
    hand-holding, though - it was only by accident I found out how to work
    it. Make some very simple instructions for viewing the images the first
    thing the netzen reads when they hit your site, and include a much more
    brief and concise explanation of your purpose - "I like to compare old
    photos with what the subject looks like right now" or something about
    that long; otherwise they'll just surf on.

    ECM

    ecm, Mar 20, 2005
  4. rodc

    Frank ess Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > "rodc" <> writes:
    >
    >> I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
    >> comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
    >>
    >> Interested in comments and feed back.
    >>
    >> See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
    >>
    >> www.retroshift.com

    > I get just one image out of each sequence, I *think*. The site
    > navigation is so bizarre I'm really not sure I'm doing the right
    > thing, though. I have a working quicktime plugin on my system. Your
    > test link does the same weird thing -- I get one still image and no
    > controls.

    I was a little mystery-fied too, until I chose "Low Shift", when a
    window with (tiny) controls appeared. Clicking the "Play" button wiped
    the new to the old. I preferred to drag the indicator slider across the
    control, back-and-forthing at my pleasure.

    Very interesting. I have a similar project in mind, with Now-Defunct
    Riverside (California) International Raceway. I need to spend a day at
    its former site, with a sheaf of prints from old photos. It won't be
    easy, since as you can see it is now entirely obliterated and overlaid
    by residential and commercial development:
    http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/rirpictsc.htm

    I purchased two (of several cities offered) books called "Hollywood then
    and now" and "Los Angeles ... " The photographer did pretty much the
    same thing you are up to: find a good old photo, find the original
    viewpoint, make a new photo. Her method of display was to put them into
    books, on opposing pages. Works for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/of...-display_1//104-0161673-7461545?condition=all
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/6ok2j

    I enjoyed looking at your site. Thank you for the opportunity.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 20, 2005
  5. rodc

    rodc Guest

    much appreciated feed back

    ....I thought I had laid out more instruction than I have ever seen in a site
    but vital things are obviously missing, most of all a concise overview.

    I am also concerned different OS's and browsers may display the layout
    diffrently and that could throw things out of order. not sure how to
    tackle this.

    Shall keep hacking away..
    Rod

    rodc, Mar 21, 2005