    truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz

    my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt

    and it's not responding to pings

    Fred the Fish, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Fred the Fish

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Same here.

    Are there any other server in NZ to use?

    -{-astrae-}-, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Fred the Fish

    Ewen McNeill Guest

    In article <Ixk5b.960$>,
    Fred the Fish <> wrote:
    >Anybody know if something has happened to
    >truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz

    Yup. They closed off public access to it. As of the end of July:

    -=- cut here -=-
    From: Kim Shepherd <>
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:52:30 +1200
    Subject: [nznog] Notification: Disable Seconday Public (Stratum 2) NTP Service

    The University of Waikato will cease to provide public stratum 2 NTP service as
    of 31st July, 2003.

    A list of alternative stratum 2 servers is available at the URL below:

    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

    Regards,

    Kim.
    -=- cut here -=-

    The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
    New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
    make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise
    the other New Zealand ones will just get too much traffic and decide
    not to do it either.

    Ewen

    --
    Ewen McNeill,

    Ewen McNeill, Sep 3, 2003
  4. "Ewen McNeill" <> wrote in message
    > The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
    > New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
    > make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise
    > the other New Zealand ones will just get too much traffic and decide
    > not to do it either.
    >
    > Ewen
    >
    > --
    > Ewen McNeill,

    time.paradise.net.nz works

    Olson Johnson, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Fred the Fish

    pbs Guest

    Ewen McNeill wrote:

    > The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
    > New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
    > make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise

    VISP's server: ntp.iconz.co.nz {aliased e0.ts17.ak.iconz.net.nz}

    pbs, Sep 3, 2003
  6. "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > Same here.
    >
    > Are there any other server in NZ to use?

    time.paradise.net.nz
    ntp1.actrix.co.nz
    ntp2.actrix.co.nz
    tk1.ihug.co.nz
    tk2.ihug.co.nz
    tk3.ihug.co.nz
    ntp.massey.ac.nz
    ntp.iprolink.co.nz
    ntp.public.otago.ac.nz

    Olson Johnson, Sep 3, 2003
  7. Fred the Fish

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <Ixk5b.960$>, fred@not-
    really.co.nz says...
    > Anybody know if something has happened to
    >
    > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
    >
    > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
    >
    > and it's not responding to pings

    You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
    server? ..

    time.paradise.net.nz

    (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 3, 2003
  8. "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Ixk5b.960$>, fred@not-
    > really.co.nz says...
    > > Anybody know if something has happened to
    > >
    > > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
    > >
    > > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
    > >
    > > and it's not responding to pings

    > You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
    > server? ..
    >
    > time.paradise.net.nz
    >
    > (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
    Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
    not broke...

    BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
    paradise site.

    Fred the Fish, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Fred the Fish

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <c_D5b.1147$>, fred@not-
    really.co.nz says...

    > "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Ixk5b.960$>, fred@not-
    > > really.co.nz says...
    > > > Anybody know if something has happened to
    > > >
    > > > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
    > > >
    > > > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
    > > >
    > > > and it's not responding to pings

    > > You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
    > > server? ..
    > >
    > > time.paradise.net.nz
    > >
    > > (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
    > Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
    > not broke...
    >
    > BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
    > paradise site.

    Don't worry - I can't remember where I found it :)

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 4, 2003
  10. On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:55:29 +1200, Fred the Fish wrote:

    > "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <Ixk5b.960$>, fred@not-
    >> really.co.nz says...
    >> > Anybody know if something has happened to
    >> >
    >> > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
    >> >
    >> > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
    >> >
    >> > and it's not responding to pings

    >> You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
    >> server? ..
    >>
    >> time.paradise.net.nz
    >>
    >> (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan

    > I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
    > Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
    > not broke...
    >
    > BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
    > paradise site.

    Does the Waikato site still work ?

    The information you didn't find on the paradise site is here
    http://paradise.net.nz/standard/pages/main/pdf/paradise.pdf

    HTH

    Olson Johnson, Sep 4, 2003
  11. "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:

    : "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    : news:1Bk5b.962$...
    : > Same here.
    : >
    : > Are there any other server in NZ to use?
    : >
    : >
    :
    : time.paradise.net.nz
    : ntp1.actrix.co.nz
    : ntp2.actrix.co.nz
    : tk1.ihug.co.nz
    : tk2.ihug.co.nz
    : tk3.ihug.co.nz
    : ntp.massey.ac.nz
    : ntp.iprolink.co.nz
    : ntp.public.otago.ac.nz

    Hmm. Now I wonder what time server software people are using or recommend.
    I've been using (can't remember how or when I found it) TimeSync from
    http://www.luziusschneider.com/TimeSyncHome.htm It came with a list of
    servers, of which I'd been using timex.cs.columbia.edu fast and reliably.

    I've just tried it with *every* server on the list above and they all resolve
    but give a time out error. Why, I wonder? Maybe it's the program?
    It uses port 37 with a TCP protocol according to its help file. That usual?
    I'd be happy to connect to a local server and use a different free program.
    OTOH, this works for me now, as above, and those servers don't ...
    RdM

    Ross Matheson, Sep 4, 2003
  12. On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:27:06 +1200, Ross Matheson wrote:

    > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    > : "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > : news:1Bk5b.962$...
    > : > Same here.
    > : >
    > : > Are there any other server in NZ to use?
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : time.paradise.net.nz
    > : ntp1.actrix.co.nz
    > : ntp2.actrix.co.nz
    > : tk1.ihug.co.nz
    > : tk2.ihug.co.nz
    > : tk3.ihug.co.nz
    > : ntp.massey.ac.nz
    > : ntp.iprolink.co.nz
    > : ntp.public.otago.ac.nz
    >
    > Hmm. Now I wonder what time server software people are using or recommend.
    > I've been using (can't remember how or when I found it) TimeSync from
    > http://www.luziusschneider.com/TimeSyncHome.htm It came with a list of
    > servers, of which I'd been using timex.cs.columbia.edu fast and reliably.
    >
    > I've just tried it with *every* server on the list above and they all resolve
    > but give a time out error. Why, I wonder? Maybe it's the program?
    > It uses port 37 with a TCP protocol according to its help file. That usual?
    > I'd be happy to connect to a local server and use a different free program.
    > OTOH, this works for me now, as above, and those servers don't ...
    > RdM

    They work for me.
    For Windows 9x I use Dimension 4
    http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/d4time43.exe
    For Windows 2k/XP its built in
    For Debian apt-get install ntp

    Olson Johnson, Sep 4, 2003
  13. "Fred the Fish" <> wrote in message

    amount
    > of PDF data to download. (Anybody know how to remove Acrobat from IE and
    > just use it as an exterrnal app.)

    Found it under Acrobat General Prefs would you believe :)
    (after wading through all IE's settings)

    Fred the Fish, Sep 4, 2003
  14. Fred the Fish

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:27:06 +1200, Ross Matheson wrote:
    >
    > > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > : "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > > : news:1Bk5b.962$...
    > > : > Same here.
    > > : >
    > > : > Are there any other server in NZ to use?
    > > : >
    > > : >
    > > :
    > > : time.paradise.net.nz
    > > : ntp1.actrix.co.nz
    > > : ntp2.actrix.co.nz
    > > : tk1.ihug.co.nz
    > > : tk2.ihug.co.nz
    > > : tk3.ihug.co.nz
    > > : ntp.massey.ac.nz
    > > : ntp.iprolink.co.nz
    > > : ntp.public.otago.ac.nz
    > >
    > > Hmm. Now I wonder what time server software people are using or recommend.
    > > I've been using (can't remember how or when I found it) TimeSync from
    > > http://www.luziusschneider.com/TimeSyncHome.htm It came with a list of
    > > servers, of which I'd been using timex.cs.columbia.edu fast and reliably.
    > >
    > > I've just tried it with *every* server on the list above and they all resolve
    > > but give a time out error. Why, I wonder? Maybe it's the program?
    > > It uses port 37 with a TCP protocol according to its help file. That usual?
    > > I'd be happy to connect to a local server and use a different free program.
    > > OTOH, this works for me now, as above, and those servers don't ...
    > > RdM

    > They work for me.
    > For Windows 9x I use Dimension 4
    > http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/d4time43.exe
    > For Windows 2k/XP its built in

    Built in, but no server is set of course - one still has to set
    that (e.g. 'net time /setsntp:time.paradise.net.nz' , or 'net
    help time' - for a list of all the options). BTW, Is there a
    way of doing it via a GUI ???

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 4, 2003
  15. "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:27:06 +1200, Ross Matheson wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > : "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > > > : news:1Bk5b.962$...
    > > > : > Same here.
    > > > : >
    > > > : > Are there any other server in NZ to use?
    > > > : >
    > > > : >
    > > > :
    > > > : time.paradise.net.nz
    > > > : ntp1.actrix.co.nz
    > > > : ntp2.actrix.co.nz
    > > > : tk1.ihug.co.nz
    > > > : tk2.ihug.co.nz
    > > > : tk3.ihug.co.nz
    > > > : ntp.massey.ac.nz
    > > > : ntp.iprolink.co.nz
    > > > : ntp.public.otago.ac.nz
    > > >
    > > > Hmm. Now I wonder what time server software people are using or

    recommend.
    > > > I've been using (can't remember how or when I found it) TimeSync from
    > > > http://www.luziusschneider.com/TimeSyncHome.htm It came with a list

    of
    > > > servers, of which I'd been using timex.cs.columbia.edu fast and

    reliably.

    > > > I've just tried it with *every* server on the list above and they all

    resolve
    > > > but give a time out error. Why, I wonder? Maybe it's the program?
    > > > It uses port 37 with a TCP protocol according to its help file. That

    usual?
    > > > I'd be happy to connect to a local server and use a different free

    program.
    > > > OTOH, this works for me now, as above, and those servers don't ...
    > > > RdM

    > > They work for me.
    > > For Windows 9x I use Dimension 4
    > > http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/d4time43.exe
    > > For Windows 2k/XP its built in

    > Built in, but no server is set of course - one still has to set
    > that (e.g. 'net time /setsntp:time.paradise.net.nz' , or 'net
    > help time' - for a list of all the options). BTW, Is there a
    > way of doing it via a GUI ???

    Its in a tab called "Internet Time" in "Date and Time Properties" on XP
    v simple

    Olson Johnson, Sep 4, 2003
  16. "Fred the Fish" <> wrote in message

    > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:55:29 +1200, Fred the Fish wrote:
    > >

    > > > "T-Boy" <> wrote in message

    > > > I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have

    been
    > with
    > > > Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If

    > it's
    > > > not broke...
    > > >
    > > > BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on

    > the
    > > > paradise site.

    > > Does the Waikato site still work ?
    > >
    > > The information you didn't find on the paradise site is here
    > > http://paradise.net.nz/standard/pages/main/pdf/paradise.pdf
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >

    > You're right!
    > It seemed logical to look here :
    >
    > Access information
    > All the dialup numbers and paradise.net server addresses you need to get
    > yourself going with our service are available here.
    > http://www.paradise.net.nz/standard/pages/main/access.html
    >
    > and besides, I hate staring at a blank browser waiting for an unknown

    amount
    > of PDF data to download. (Anybody know how to remove Acrobat from IE and
    > just use it as an exterrnal app.)

    Right click the link and save it, then open it.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 4, 2003
  17. Fred the Fish

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <n5H5b.1194$>,
    "Fred the Fish" <> wrote:

    > As for waikato, look a couple of posts back, seems its shut to the world
    > now.

    You may find most of the *.ac.nz ntp servers have been locked behind
    firewalls. While a uni/tech may be expected to provide a "pro bono
    publico" service like ntp, in these dark days a lot of non-core-business
    services are being locked in....

    So how do they synch it? My understanding is that
    truechimer.auckland.ac.nz is VPNed to truechimer.waikato.ac.nz which in
    turn has a dedicated sat-link to higher authority.

    Peter KERR, Sep 4, 2003
  18. "Peter KERR" <> wrote in message
    > In article <n5H5b.1194$>,
    > "Fred the Fish" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > As for waikato, look a couple of posts back, seems its shut to the world
    > > now.

    > You may find most of the *.ac.nz ntp servers have been locked behind
    > firewalls. While a uni/tech may be expected to provide a "pro bono
    > publico" service like ntp, in these dark days a lot of non-core-business
    > services are being locked in....
    >
    > So how do they synch it? My understanding is that
    > truechimer.auckland.ac.nz is VPNed to truechimer.waikato.ac.nz which in
    > turn has a dedicated sat-link to higher authority.

    I expect that the easy setup of Internet Time on Windows XP has increased
    traffic to the academic servers.
    Several of the ISPs provide timeservers, but xtra doesn't.
    It would be a great idea for xtra to provide an ntp server for their Windows
    XP customers, hint hint !!

    Olson Johnson, Sep 5, 2003
  19. Fred the Fish

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 03:37:35 +1200, T-Boy <> wrote:

    >> They work for me.
    >> For Windows 9x I use Dimension 4
    >> http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/d4time43.exe
    >> For Windows 2k/XP its built in

    >Built in, but no server is set of course - one still has to set
    >that (e.g. 'net time /setsntp:time.paradise.net.nz' , or 'net
    >help time' - for a list of all the options).

    You don't have to set it if you are connected to a Win2k Domain.

    > BTW, Is there a way of doing it via a GUI ???

    Boggle!! Why?!?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Sep 5, 2003
  20. "T.N.O" <> wrote in message
    > "Fred the Fish" wrote
    > > Found it under Acrobat General Prefs would you believe :)
    > > (after wading through all IE's settings)

    > funny that, you find the preferences for a program in *that* program...

    Hence the smiley. I seem to have been thinking back to front lately.
    Maybe I should climb over the wife and get out the other side of the bed
    tomorrow :)

    Fred the Fish, Sep 5, 2003