    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York

    2.com, Sep 24, 2005

  2. 2.com

    Mark² Guest

    2.com wrote:
    > I have an opportunity to pick up a used G2, but unlike the G3 and G5,
    > it doesn't have an "orientation sensor" or "Time lapse recording".
    >
    > I don't know the importance of an orientation sensor, but if a camera
    > doesn't have time lapse recording as a feature, does that mean that
    > there is no way to create a time lapse video when the camera is
    > connected to a pc?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Most Canon cameras have this built in to included software.
    It's not necessarily built into the camera settings, but you can control it
    with your computer--often complete control over shutter, timing, etc.

    Mark², Sep 24, 2005

  3. 2.com

    2.com Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > 2.com wrote:
    > > I have an opportunity to pick up a used G2, but unlike the G3 and G5,
    > > it doesn't have an "orientation sensor" or "Time lapse recording".
    > >
    > > I don't know the importance of an orientation sensor, but if a camera
    > > doesn't have time lapse recording as a feature, does that mean that
    > > there is no way to create a time lapse video when the camera is
    > > connected to a pc?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot.

    > Most Canon cameras have this built in to included software.
    > It's not necessarily built into the camera settings, but you can control it
    > with your computer--often complete control over shutter, timing, etc.

    Then perhaps I should just wait and get a G3 or G5 to make sure this
    feature is included.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    2.com, Sep 24, 2005
  4. 2.com writes:
    >I have an opportunity to pick up a used G2, but unlike the G3 and G5,
    >it doesn't have an "orientation sensor" or "Time lapse recording".

    >I don't know the importance of an orientation sensor, but if a camera
    >doesn't have time lapse recording as a feature, does that mean that
    >there is no way to create a time lapse video when the camera is
    >connected to a pc?

    The orientation sensor is used to flag images shot in portrait mode via
    a bit in the EXIF header. Then when the image is shown in playback mode
    on the camera's LCD, it's rotated to the correct orientation. Also,
    when you have transferred the images to your computer, some software
    will automatically rotate the image for correct display there.
    Convenient, but not a big deal to lack.

    If the camera had a time lapse recording feature, it could shoot frames
    at regular intervals all on its own. So the G2 won't. But the G2 is
    still almost completely controllable from a host via the USB connection,
    so a PC plus suitable software should be able to shoot time lapse
    sequences. The images are transferred directly to the PC in this mode,
    not the card in the camera, so the length of your sequence is limited
    only by hard disk space.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 24, 2005
  5. 2.com

    2.com Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > 2.com writes:
    > >I have an opportunity to pick up a used G2, but unlike the G3 and G5,
    > >it doesn't have an "orientation sensor" or "Time lapse recording".

    > >I don't know the importance of an orientation sensor, but if a camera
    > >doesn't have time lapse recording as a feature, does that mean that
    > >there is no way to create a time lapse video when the camera is
    > >connected to a pc?

    > The orientation sensor is used to flag images shot in portrait mode via
    > a bit in the EXIF header. Then when the image is shown in playback mode
    > on the camera's LCD, it's rotated to the correct orientation. Also,
    > when you have transferred the images to your computer, some software
    > will automatically rotate the image for correct display there.
    > Convenient, but not a big deal to lack.
    >
    > If the camera had a time lapse recording feature, it could shoot frames
    > at regular intervals all on its own. So the G2 won't. But the G2 is
    > still almost completely controllable from a host via the USB connection,
    > so a PC plus suitable software should be able to shoot time lapse
    > sequences. The images are transferred directly to the PC in this mode,
    > not the card in the camera, so the length of your sequence is limited
    > only by hard disk space.

    Thanks a lot.

    Then I guess I should pick up the G2, since outside of resolution there
    doesn't seem to be a big difference between it and the G3 and G5
    cameras.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    2.com, Sep 24, 2005
  6. 2.com writes:

    >Then I guess I should pick up the G2, since outside of resolution there
    >doesn't seem to be a big difference between it and the G3 and G5
    >cameras.

    I have a G2, and haven't bothered to upgrade. To me, the real
    differences between the G2 and later G models are:

    - higher sensor resolution
    - 4:1 zoom instead of 3:1
    - newer processor
    - faster
    - supports FAT32 filesystem (can take CF cards larger than 2 GB)

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 24, 2005
  7. 2.com

    dylan Guest

    The lack of a 'remote' socket on the G series was a disappointment to me as
    I use a TC-80N3 remote timer, it works with my old Pro70 and EOS 3 and 10D
    for time laspe, but unfortunately not the G1.

    dylan, Sep 24, 2005
  8. 2.com

    2.com Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > 2.com writes:
    >
    > >Then I guess I should pick up the G2, since outside of resolution there
    > >doesn't seem to be a big difference between it and the G3 and G5
    > >cameras.

    > I have a G2, and haven't bothered to upgrade. To me, the real
    > differences between the G2 and later G models are:
    >
    > - higher sensor resolution
    > - 4:1 zoom instead of 3:1
    > - newer processor
    > - faster
    > - supports FAT32 filesystem (can take CF cards larger than 2 GB)
    >
    > Dave

    I now have the G2 in my possession. Can anyone tell me where I might
    get the software that originally came with the camera?

    This is my first digital camera and I would like to connect it to my PC
    and do a lot of experimenting with it.(Particularly time lapse stuff).

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    2.com, Sep 25, 2005