    shooting a Canon Rebel XTI with DSLR photo software for Windows. Any
    help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks,

    -Jesse
    Jstein, Jun 21, 2008

  2. Jstein

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jstein wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have recently started experimenting with time lapse photography. I
    > have successfully shot sequences during the day & during the night but
    > where I'm having trouble is shooting a time lapse that runs during
    > both. Last night in fact, I set up to shoot the sun rising over the
    > street from my window. I set the program to start from 4:30 to
    > 10:30. About half way through, the images started gradually getting
    > washed out and unreadable. I was under the impression that when
    > shooting time lapse the camera should be set to manual exposure with
    > white balance locked in. If this is the case, and you are not around
    > to adjust the camera, how does one take long time lapses? I am
    > shooting a Canon Rebel XTI with DSLR photo software for Windows. Any
    > help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks,

    When I was taking an Audio Production program many years ago, I had an
    instructor who from day one indoctrinated us with this piece of wisdom:
    "There are no rules, only guidelines."

    Manual exposure in this instance, is only a guideline, not a rule. Rule
    may be made to be broken, but guidelines are just that: guides. They
    can be ignored at will when necessary to your situation or desired results.

    The dynamic range of what you're trying to shoot is simply far too wide
    for a locked-in manual exposure. WB range may also be too wide for a
    locked-in setting. You'll probably want to at least go to an automatic
    exposure program... depending on your results, you may find AWB helpful
    as well. You may even want to babysit the rig and adjust exposure
    manually with each frame.

    The beauty of digital is that you can do all the experimentation you
    want without having to worry about film costs :)
    Matt Ion, Jun 21, 2008