Time lapse options with Nikon 4300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jacobe Hazzard, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. I have a nikon 4300 and I'm trying to do some time lapse photography with
    it.

    I've bought the MC-EU1 remote cord, but I'm really disappointed in the
    limited functionality of this highly expensive accessory (>$200 CDN). The
    cord won't allow me to set an interval of less than two minutes, and won't
    allow for more sophisticated on/off delayed scheduling. It's frustrating
    that I want to do something that seems like it should be so simple, but
    apparently can't be done with this camera.

    I'm looking for a way to control the camera through the data port, using
    my own electronics. If anyone has any info on the communication protocol
    this camera uses, or schematics for the remote cord, or software that can
    control the shutter, or a pointer towards relevant info, I would be highly
    appreciative. I'm looking to build my own black box to interface to the
    camera, or possibly use the USB cord and control the camera with a
    computer. I understand that nikon is probably fairly protective of this
    information (so they can continue to unload their overpriced remote cords)
    but how hard can it be to control the zoom and the shutter?

    Thanks for any info at all. If you want my email address please ask for it
    in the group.

    Adam

    Jacobe Hazzard, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Jacobe Hazzard

    Jungle Man Guest

    I have the same remote and the same issues with it. My solution is
    much more simple than unraveling Nikons electronics.

    The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
    operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
    of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
    button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
    to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
    install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
    your remote.

    Disclaimer: Modifying your Nikon remote will void the warranty and
    could make your hair fall out, may contribute to global warming, etc.
    etc....

    Arby

    Jungle Man, Jul 26, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Jungle Man <> wrote:

    >I have the same remote and the same issues with it. My solution is
    >much more simple than unraveling Nikons electronics.
    >
    >The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
    >operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
    >of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
    >button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
    >to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
    >install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
    >your remote.

    I have a CP5000 with the same remote cord as I was interested in the
    same - long exposure & times exposures...

    But what really irritates me is that next to the battery compartment
    there is a little slide-off panel with 4 or 5 little gold contacts
    underneath. I belive these are used by the external battery pack to
    contol zoom and shutter which would make it easy to add a simple switch
    mechanism to the camera if you knew what the contacts are...

    However, no-one I've spoken to seens to know what they are, then theres
    the problem of getting a mechanical fit to it, etc.

    Hmph!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Jungle Man wrote:
    > The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
    > operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
    > of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
    > button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
    > to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
    > install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
    > your remote.

    This is certainly a possibility, and not something I am incapable of
    doing. Still, it would mean that I'm out the full cost of the remote and I
    still have to build my own, which doesn't seem right. Money is definitely
    an issue, I have already built my own AC adapter for the camera because
    nikons was prohibitively expensive, and the remote cost many times more.
    Also there are the warranty issues and given the possibility that the
    remote might be damaged, I'm not sure I like the idea, I was planning on
    returning the remote.

    I'm just hoping it doesn't come to me building a small robot to press the
    shutter, haha.

    Jacobe Hazzard, Jul 26, 2004
  5. I heard it happened automatically after the "shoot" button was pressed :)

    Arty

    ps - no need for all that hi-falooting stuff

    Arty Phacting, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Jacobe Hazzard

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    Maybe someone has the digisnap 5000 and would be so kind to open it
    and post photos of the "guts" of this device? There are several of us
    out there who could easily rebuild such a device, but we need a
    starting point somehow.

    Using those additional contacts at the bottom of the camera (I guess
    they are intended for an optional battery holder) like the digisnap
    5000 does could be a very good and cheap option for a self made
    shutter release device/switch.

    Unfortunately, the digisnap 5000 is not for sale anymore at
    www.harbortronics.com.

    cu,
    Michael

    Michael, Aug 10, 2004