time keep changing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ponder, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Ponder

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya detap.

    In <news:45574014$0$510$> you wrote:

    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one hour
    > behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    > come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    Check your Regional Settings, taking particular care over the Time Zone
    and Daylight Savings settings.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Nov 12, 2006

  2. "detap" <> wrote in message
    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one
    > hour behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the
    > morning come at least three or four time a week. can some one help
    > [[pat]]

    your bios battery may be flat. How old is your machine?
    Geoff Pearson, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Ponder

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:38:43 -0800, detap Has Frothed:

    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one hour
    > behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    > come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    Wrong time zone/ DST settings?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Ponder

    detap Guest

    detap, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Ponder

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:38:43 -0800, detap wrote:

    >almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one hour
    >behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    >come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    Some odd sort of operating system, you didn't say.

    You could check the things already mentioned, regional / timezone
    settings, battery (less likely, low battery is more often loss of time
    overnight while the PC is off) when the PC is on the time is okay. If
    it's 5 years or more, it's worth usually changing the battery in any
    case, for the price being so low.

    You didn't say if it's fast or slow, I have twice seen PCs set to use a
    time server in a different time zone, it's assumed you don't have any
    sort of time sync software already.

    For windows, there are several freeware programs to sync the PC time
    automatically -
    http://www.tucows.com/Windows/Internet/TimeSynchronizers/

    If your OS isn't Windows then
    http://www.tucows.com/
    or for Windows including other systems
    http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads
    ditto
    http://tf.nist.gov/general/softwarelist.htm

    Me
    why?, Nov 12, 2006
  6. Ponder

    Brian Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one
    > hour behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the
    > morning come at least three or four time a week. can some one help
    > [[pat]]

    It is the battery on the circuit board inside, it looks like a small coin.
    Change it and all will be OK, it has nothing to do with settings.
    Brian, Nov 12, 2006
  7. Ponder

    Brian Guest

    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:38:43 -0800, detap wrote:
    >
    >>almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one
    >>hour
    >>behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    >>come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    > Some odd sort of operating system, you didn't say.
    >
    > You could check the things already mentioned, regional / timezone
    > settings, battery (less likely, low battery is more often loss of time
    > overnight while the PC is off) when the PC is on the time is okay. If
    > it's 5 years or more, it's worth usually changing the battery in any
    > case, for the price being so low.
    >
    > You didn't say if it's fast or slow, I have twice seen PCs set to use a
    > time server in a different time zone, it's assumed you don't have any
    > sort of time sync software already.
    >
    > For windows, there are several freeware programs to sync the PC time
    > automatically -
    > http://www.tucows.com/Windows/Internet/TimeSynchronizers/
    >
    > If your OS isn't Windows then
    > http://www.tucows.com/
    > or for Windows including other systems
    > http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads
    > ditto
    > http://tf.nist.gov/general/softwarelist.htm
    >
    > Me

    It is either the BIOS battery on it's way out or a poor connection. This
    often happens in tower cases as the PCB is on it's side. If it is a poor
    connection a bit of tinfoil does the trick. Putting a time sync program in
    will not stop the other settings in the BIOS being lost - unless you can
    explain how!
    Experience counts on this one.
    Brian, Nov 12, 2006
  8. Ponder

    SJP Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one
    > hour behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the
    > morning come at least three or four time a week. can some one help
    > [[pat]]

    Always exactly 1 hour?
    SJP, Nov 12, 2006
  9. Ponder

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:39:19 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:38:43 -0800, detap wrote:
    >
    >>almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one hour
    >>behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning

    Doh. This is what happens doing 3 or 4 things at once, or trying.

    <snip>

    You did say.

    why?, Nov 12, 2006
  10. Ponder

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:35:13 -0000, Brian wrote:

    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:38:43 -0800, detap wrote:
    >>
    >>>almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one
    >>>hour
    >>>behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    >>>come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    <snip>

    >> For windows, there are several freeware programs to sync the PC time
    >> automatically -

    <snip>

    >> Me

    >It is either the BIOS battery on it's way out or a poor connection. This

    Just the 1 hour constant?

    >often happens in tower cases as the PCB is on it's side. If it is a poor
    >connection a bit of tinfoil does the trick. Putting a time sync program in

    Wouldn't that be more random, depending on how long the PC was off.
    Again that's the battery but the same time behind?

    >will not stop the other settings in the BIOS being lost - unless you can

    In the absence of any indication of other faults like missing disk,
    incorrect date or BIOS screen saying the settings are incorrect /
    missing? Then it appears to be a simpler settings issue.

    >explain how!

    >Experience counts on this one.

    Which is why reference made to earlier post time / timezone and change
    the battery anyway.

    Neither was it said the computer was turned on / off or left on all the
    time. A few more pointers from the OP may help.

    It could always be something 3rd party, a router with the wrong time and
    the PC is already syncing to the wrong time.

    Me
    why?, Nov 12, 2006
  11. Ponder

    keme Guest

    detap skrev:
    > almost every morning I will get to my computer an the clock will be one hour
    > behind , and I will reset it but it will still change back by the morning
    > come at least three or four time a week. can some one help [[pat]]

    If it's not the timezone/external sync source already mentioned,
    consider this memory from the good old win95 days:
    On some AST computers, setting the time in the OS had no effect on the
    hardware clock. So Windows reported correct time, but reboot "unset" the
    clock again. Had to set the hardware clock in the BIOS for setting to be
    permanent. After a firmware upgrade and installing a driver, things
    started to work in windows too, though.
    keme, Nov 12, 2006
  12. Ponder

    detap Guest

    I just put a new mother board in it six months ago

    detap, Nov 13, 2006