    If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.
    tightwad, Dec 5, 2005

  2. tightwad

    nemo_outis Guest

    tightwad <@plum.net> wrote in news:GbNkf.14496$:

    > If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    > without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    > look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    What alleged deficiencies of anonymous remailers make them unsuitable?

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Dec 5, 2005

  3. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

    > If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    >without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    >look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    a dictionary might help.

    There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    as those who seek it should not be posting.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 5, 2005
  4. tightwad

    tightwad Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
    >

    >> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    >>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    >>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    > a dictionary might help.
    >
    > There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    > as those who seek it should not be posting.
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    The only reasons are moral. Simly want to stop bugs that follow the
    tracks and spam. The nuts that cause those problems are nt stopped by
    all the virus checkers and anti spam ware out there.
    tightwad, Dec 5, 2005
  5. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:08:44 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    >>>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    >>>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    >> a dictionary might help.
    >>
    >> There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    >> as those who seek it should not be posting.
    >>

    > The only reasons are moral. Simly want to stop bugs that follow the
    >tracks and spam. The nuts that cause those problems are nt stopped by
    >all the virus checkers and anti spam ware out there.

    you may find this useful

    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 5, 2005
  6. tightwad

    tightwad Guest

    No thanks.
    They only come in your sizes.
    It seems you are well protected from current realities along with the
    nutcrackery.
    You may want to expand your knowledge not just technical capabilities.
    tightwad, Dec 5, 2005
  7. tightwad

    Donnie Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
    >
    > > If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    > >without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    > >look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    > a dictionary might help.
    >
    > There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    > as those who seek it should not be posting.
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    #################################
    There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
    the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
    read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
    posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
    just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
    like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
    different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
    different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
    extent of the privacy is desired.
    donnie.
    Donnie, Dec 6, 2005
  8. tightwad

    tightwad Guest

    Donnie wrote:

    > "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
    >>>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
    >>>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

    >>a dictionary might help.
    >>
    >>There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    >>as those who seek it should not be posting.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Jim Watt
    >>http://www.gibnet.com

    > #################################
    > There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
    > the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
    > read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
    > posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
    > just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
    > like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
    > different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
    > different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
    > extent of the privacy is desired.
    > donnie.

    Since I posted this there have been three attacks from emails with no
    title or sender. I foolishly opened one to a blank page. Fortunately
    there is no trace of any outgoing information or tampering with files
    after a "thorough" cleaning.
    That's the only reason I was thinking of being anonymous. If you post
    anything on newsgroups expect someone or several someones to try and see
    what is at our end.
    As far as anomosity I have none for anyone.
    tightwad, Dec 6, 2005
  9. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    wrote:

    >There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
    >the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
    >read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
    >posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
    >just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
    >like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
    >different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
    >different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
    >extent of the privacy is desired.
    >donnie.

    There are a number of different issues in there.

    Firstly accessing someones computer is only possible if they have
    neglected basic security in the first place.

    Now if you are going to use the medium to attack people like the
    CoS or discuss writing virus's then there is a need for for being
    anonymous, however in other places its more often a sign of
    a troll or a pest. Security is about measuring a response to a
    situation, with the right amount applied.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 6, 2005
  10. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:45:36 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

    >Donnie wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message

    >>>a dictionary might help.
    >>>
    >>>There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
    >>>as those who seek it should not be posting.
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Jim Watt
    >>>http://www.gibnet.com

    >> #################################
    >> There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
    >> the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
    >> read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
    >> posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
    >> just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
    >> like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
    >> different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
    >> different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
    >> extent of the privacy is desired.
    >> donnie.
    >>

    >Since I posted this there have been three attacks from emails with no
    >title or sender. I foolishly opened one to a blank page. Fortunately
    >there is no trace of any outgoing information or tampering with files
    > after a "thorough" cleaning.
    >That's the only reason I was thinking of being anonymous. If you post
    >anything on newsgroups expect someone or several someones to try and see
    >what is at our end.
    >As far as anomosity I have none for anyone.

    using a real email address long became inadvisible here,
    however strange emails do not necessarily result from
    posting messages on usenet.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 6, 2005
  11. tightwad

    optikl Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    > wrote:

    Security is about measuring a response to a
    > situation, with the right amount applied.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Hmmm....I like that, except that the response should also be strategic,
    meaning prepared in advance of the situation.
    optikl, Dec 6, 2005
  12. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:07:26 -0600, optikl
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > Security is about measuring a response to a
    >> situation, with the right amount applied.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >Hmmm....I like that, except that the response should also be strategic,
    >meaning prepared in advance of the situation.

    Yes, although its difficult to prepare for the unexpected.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 6, 2005
  13. tightwad

    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO.

    Over
    > >the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and

    sometimes
    > >read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
    > >posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
    > >just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
    > >like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user

    is
    > >different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is

    also
    > >different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
    > >extent of the privacy is desired.
    > >donnie.

    > There are a number of different issues in there.
    >
    > Firstly accessing someones computer is only possible if they have
    > neglected basic security in the first place.
    >
    > Now if you are going to use the medium to attack people like the
    > CoS or discuss writing virus's then there is a need for for being
    > anonymous, however in other places its more often a sign of
    > a troll or a pest. Security is about measuring a response to a
    > situation, with the right amount applied.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    ###################################
    I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection against
    identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.
    donnie.
    Donnie, Dec 11, 2005
  14. tightwad

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:17:31 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection against
    >identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.

    You are sufficiently anonymous if you are tracable to an ISP, yet
    still accountable enough that if you are a bloody pest there is
    someone to complain about your actions.

    In the above case there is no identiry exposed.

    My experience in another newsgroup is that the real pains in the
    arse turn up from anonymous remailers/posting services and use
    them becase a responsible ISP would TOS them off their service.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 11, 2005
  15. tightwad

    TwistyCreek Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:17:31 GMT, "Donnie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection
    >>against identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.

    > You are sufficiently anonymous if you are tracable to an ISP, yet still
    > accountable enough that if you are a bloody pest there is someone to
    > complain about your actions.
    >
    > In the above case there is no identiry exposed.

    Obviously incorrect. For one, your identity is known to anyone who is
    granted even limited administrative privileges at that ISP. Given the
    scope of some ISP's this could amount to thousands of people, every one a
    potential identity theft.

    Care to wager against us finding numerous examples of an ISP being the
    identity theft attack vector? How about a month's wages? :)

    > My experience in another newsgroup is that the real pains in the arse turn
    > up from anonymous remailers/posting services and use them becase a
    > responsible ISP would TOS them off their service.

    That's undeniably true. Because of the security of a distributed network
    that implements layered encryption, abusers are drawn to it.

    But this fails to address the questions of why you feel your experience or
    even the visibility of a class of "pests" represent the whole, or why you
    mistakenly think your myopic perception of "need" has any relevance at all
    to the rest of the world?
    TwistyCreek, Dec 11, 2005