Time correcting programs not adjusting for standard time...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by phreewarephan@nospammerci.com, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?
    Whenever I connect, it sets my clock back an hour, so obviously the US
    Time Servers weren't adjusted for the Energy Conservation Act (see below).
    One could say that they are adjusting for the correct time, as this act
    might be a temporary change (although with the current price and usage of
    oil, maybe clocks should move ahead by an hour!)

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003980048
    _webdaylight28m.html

    > Step away from the clock!
    >

    > Don't touch your clocks today. It's not time for daylight-saving time to

    end ... yet.

    > The end of daylight-saving time, when we turn our clocks back by one

    hour, used to take place today, the last Sunday in October. It is now
    scheduled for the first Sunday in November. This year, we "fall back" on
    Nov. 4.

    > U.S. Congress made the change in the Energy Conservation Act of 2005,

    which also changed the start of daylight-saving time, when we "spring
    forward" and set our clocks one hour later.

    > Daylight-saving time began this year on the second Sunday of March; it

    used to start on the first Sunday in April.

    > Software on computers, cellphones and set-top boxes may automatically

    change your clock today, so you may have to manually reset your current
    time today and next Sunday, or install new software to address the problem.

    , Oct 31, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    > correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?

    ----snip----

    No. Every linux box that I admin is showing the correct time. Updated via
    ntp... Maybe you need to look into your setup just a tad bit...

    The only thing showing the wrong time here at home is the wife's WINDOWS XP
    computer...

    --

    Jerry McBride

    Jerry McBride, Oct 31, 2007

  3. John Corliss Guest

    *CROSSPOST ALERT* Re: Time correcting programs not adjusting forstandard time...

    wrote:

    >> Step away from the clock!
    >>
    >> Don't touch your clocks today. It's not time for daylight-saving time to
    >> end ... yet.
    >> The end of daylight-saving time, when we turn our clocks back by one
    >> hour, used to take place today, the last Sunday in October. It is now
    >> scheduled for the first Sunday in November. This year, we "fall back" on
    >> Nov. 4.
    >> U.S. Congress made the change in the Energy Conservation Act of 2005,
    >> which also changed the start of daylight-saving time, when we "spring
    >> forward" and set our clocks one hour later.
    >> Daylight-saving time began this year on the second Sunday of March; it
    >> used to start on the first Sunday in April.
    >> Software on computers, cellphones and set-top boxes may automatically
    >> change your clock today, so you may have to manually reset your current
    >> time today and next Sunday, or install new software to address the problem.

    > Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    > correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?
    > Whenever I connect, it sets my clock back an hour, so obviously the US
    > Time Servers weren't adjusted for the Energy Conservation Act (see below).
    > One could say that they are adjusting for the correct time, as this act
    > might be a temporary change (although with the current price and usage of
    > oil, maybe clocks should move ahead by an hour!)
    >
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003980048
    > _webdaylight28m.html

    Note that thread has been cross-posted into the alt.comp.freeware
    newsgroup, where it is off-topic.

    --
    John Corliss BS206. I try not to reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett,
    Hummingbird or proteanthread.

    John Corliss, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Jerry McBride wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    >> correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?

    > ----snip----
    >
    > No. Every linux box that I admin is showing the correct time. Updated via
    > ntp... Maybe you need to look into your setup just a tad bit...
    >
    > The only thing showing the wrong time here at home is the wife's WINDOWS XP
    > computer...

    Check that her machine has KB931836 applied.

    bluerhinoceros, Oct 31, 2007
  5. H-Man Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:55:33 -0500, wrote:

    > Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    > correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?
    > Whenever I connect, it sets my clock back an hour, so obviously the US
    > Time Servers weren't adjusted for the Energy Conservation Act (see below).
    > One could say that they are adjusting for the correct time, as this act
    > might be a temporary change (although with the current price and usage of
    > oil, maybe clocks should move ahead by an hour!)
    >

    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003980048
    > _webdaylight28m.html
    >

    >> Step away from the clock!
    >>

    >> Don't touch your clocks today. It's not time for daylight-saving time to
    >> end ... yet.
    >>
    >> The end of daylight-saving time, when we turn our clocks back by one
    >> hour, used to take place today, the last Sunday in October. It is now
    >> scheduled for the first Sunday in November. This year, we "fall back" on
    >> Nov. 4.
    >>
    >> U.S. Congress made the change in the Energy Conservation Act of 2005,
    >> which also changed the start of daylight-saving time, when we "spring
    >> forward" and set our clocks one hour later.
    >>
    >> Daylight-saving time began this year on the second Sunday of March; it
    >> used to start on the first Sunday in April.
    >>
    >> Software on computers, cellphones and set-top boxes may automatically
    >> change your clock today, so you may have to manually reset your current
    >> time today and next Sunday, or install new software to address the problem.

    Time servers, (NTP Servers), report time in UTC terms. Look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
    for more information on that. The offset or bias to the reported time is in
    your computer. If your time is coming up with the wrong bias then you need
    to patch Windows to set the correct bias to UTC.
    (watch for line wrap on the following link)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0C-DF2D-400B-A8A9-EF9061A9A3CA&displaylang=en
    if you are on XP SP2.
    Otherwise Google for DST patch for the windows version you have.
    AFAIK this patch was part ot the Windows automatic updates program, you
    have that turned off then you should at least bring your install up to date
    by visiting the Windows Update site.

    --
    HK

    H-Man, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Frank Bohan Guest

    "Jerry McBride" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    >> correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?

    > ----snip----
    >
    > No. Every linux box that I admin is showing the correct time. Updated via
    > ntp... Maybe you need to look into your setup just a tad bit...
    >
    > The only thing showing the wrong time here at home is the wife's WINDOWS
    > XP
    > computer...
    >
    > --
    >

    > Jerry McBride

    I seem to recall that there was a Microsoft patch to correct this
    anticipated problem about a month ago.This URL might relate to it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360

    ===

    Frank Bohan
    ¶ If you're a little pebble on the beach try to be a little boulder.

    Frank Bohan, Nov 1, 2007
  7. Guest

    H-Man <> wrote in

    > Time servers, (NTP Servers), report time in UTC terms. Look here
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
    > for more information on that. The offset or bias to the reported time
    > is in your computer. If your time is coming up with the wrong bias
    > then you need to patch Windows to set the correct bias to UTC.
    > (watch for line wrap on the following link)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=66F1420C-DF2D-
    > 400B-A8A9-EF9061A9A3CA&displaylang=en if you are on XP SP2.
    > Otherwise Google for DST patch for the windows version you have.
    > AFAIK this patch was part ot the Windows automatic updates program,
    > you have that turned off then you should at least bring your install
    > up to date by visiting the Windows Update site.

    Thanks for the response. I'm going to check if I have any updates that
    haven't been installed. I know that that I saw the October updates
    download....

    Just checked. Don't know why it hasn't been installed.

    Anyway, here's several MS bulletins for those who may need them:

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360/

    This really explains the situation in detail:

    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6161680.html

    , Nov 1, 2007
  8. Guest

    , Nov 1, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > Left out this one:
    >

    > http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html
    >

    > As all these patches are free, in the interest of those who might find it helpful,
    > I hope a crosspost doesn't offend anyone.

    It wasn't a cross post, it was really quite amiable actually. :)

    Some freeware programs will give unexpected results if the user fails to
    notice that their system clock is not properly set. So I (for one in
    ACF) wasn't offended. <ducking>

    Cheers.

    bluerhinoceros, Nov 2, 2007
  10. Flasherly Guest

    On Oct 31, 10:55 am, wrote:
    > Anyone notice that their Time syncing programs aren't adjusting for the
    > correct time, and they've already made the usual change to standard time?
    > Whenever I connect, it sets my clock back an hour, so obviously the US
    > Time Servers weren't adjusted for the Energy Conservation Act (see below).
    > One could say that they are adjusting for the correct time, as this act
    > might be a temporary change (although with the current price and usage of
    > oil, maybe clocks should move ahead by an hour!)
    >
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003980048
    > _webdaylight28m.html
    >
    > > Step away from the clock!

    > > Don't touch your clocks today. It's not time for daylight-saving time to

    > end ... yet.
    >
    > > The end of daylight-saving time, when we turn our clocks back by one

    > hour, used to take place today, the last Sunday in October. It is now
    > scheduled for the first Sunday in November. This year, we "fall back" on
    > Nov. 4.
    >
    > > U.S. Congress made the change in the Energy Conservation Act of 2005,

    > which also changed the start of daylight-saving time, when we "spring
    > forward" and set our clocks one hour later.
    >
    > > Daylight-saving time began this year on the second Sunday of March; it

    > used to start on the first Sunday in April.
    >
    > > Software on computers, cellphones and set-top boxes may automatically

    > change your clock today, so you may have to manually reset your current
    > time today and next Sunday, or install new software to address the problem.

    It's a bug in Windows XP - occurs at the first of 2007, believe it
    was. Took awhile to find it but got a patch (a registry maybe).

    Flasherly, Nov 2, 2007
  11. Flasherly wrote:

    > It's a bug in Windows XP - occurs at the first of 2007, believe it
    > was. Took awhile to find it but got a patch (a registry maybe).

    No, it's a bug in the U.S. Administration. Occurred late in 2000, I
    think. :)

    Cheers.

    bluerhinoceros, Nov 2, 2007
  12. Flasherly Guest

    On Nov 1, 9:09 pm, bluerhinoceros <>
    wrote:
    > Flasherly wrote:
    > > It's a bug in Windows XP - occurs at the first of 2007, believe it
    > > was. Took awhile to find it but got a patch (a registry maybe).

    > No, it's a bug in the U.S. Administration. Occurred late in 2000, I
    > think. :)
    >
    > Cheers.

    Found MS's Time Zone Editor, help file build 2000, Windows 98, 1997.
    I stumbled into the problem only recently, sometime earlier this year,
    though. Hour off problem. Only thing I can find, so probably fixed
    it.

    Flasherly, Nov 2, 2007