Time Between Tests?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Jeff Stein, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. Jeff Stein

    Jeff Stein Guest

    Jeff Stein, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Jeff Stein wrote:

    > Passed Core Hardware; how long can I wait before taking OS?

    There is no waiting period. Just go ahead and schedule the second exam,
    assuming you are prepared and ready to take it.

    If your question is "How long can I put off taking the second exam while
    still having the first exam count?". Then once again there is no
    expiration. There is one little "gotcha". If the exam objectives change
    (like they did back in 2003) *both* exams must be taken from the same
    objective test pool.

    This meant that someone that say, passed Core Hardware from the 2001
    objectives but never got around to taking the 2001 O/S exam had to
    retake the Core Hardware since *both* exams had to be from the same set
    of testing objectives.

    There is more on the CompTIA web site. http://www.CompTIA.org

    Hope this helps.

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Jeff Stein

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Jeff Stein

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 21, 2005
  5. On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:28:13 -0400, rainman

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 23, 2005
  6. On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:40:02 -0400, rainman

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 23, 2005
  7. Jeff Stein

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 24, 2005
  8. > Out of curiosity...
    > Approx what skill level is required for Network+ and how would you
    > compare it to the CCNA?
    >
    > Rainman

    You can not compare the CCNA and the Net+. CCNA is much more complex.
    The network+ is basic cabling, topology, protocols. I talked the guy i
    work with to taking the net+ and he passed after studying for like 1 day.

    personally, i have not taken a comptia certification that was hard or
    time consuming. I think the max time i was testing on any given test was
    15 minutes.

    Download the Cramsession Network+ study guide and you will see what i mean.

    Eric Eastridge, Jun 24, 2005
  9. Jeff Stein

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 24, 2005
  10. > Understood. Why then would anybody even bother with a test like this? Is
    > there any employers that would look favorably on a test like this if
    > it's so easy?
    >
    > Rainman

    there are some that like to see it. HR people are a different breed.
    Personally, i would not trust HR to do the hiring for IT, but most
    companies let them make the decisions.

    Net+ is a good stepping stone for people that have not been working or
    playing with networks before, same as the A+. Unfortunately most IT
    people have the A+ and that makes it pretty much worthless career wise,
    but these certifications are good stepping stones into bigger
    certifications like Microsoft, Novell, Cisco etc...

    Eric Eastridge, Jun 24, 2005
  11. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:54:02 -0400, Eric Eastridge <>
    wrote:

    >> Understood. Why then would anybody even bother with a test like this? Is
    >> there any employers that would look favorably on a test like this if
    >> it's so easy?
    >>
    >> Rainman

    >there are some that like to see it. HR people are a different breed.
    >Personally, i would not trust HR to do the hiring for IT, but most
    >companies let them make the decisions.

    This is probably true of other job types as well, agreed.

    >Net+ is a good stepping stone for people that have not been working or
    >playing with networks before, same as the A+. Unfortunately most IT
    >people have the A+ and that makes it pretty much worthless career wise,
    >but these certifications are good stepping stones into bigger
    >certifications like Microsoft, Novell, Cisco etc...

    I wonder what the pass rate is for the various IT certifications. That
    would be one way to see if the MS, etc., certifications are really
    that much more difficult, or important. I have heard that Security+ in
    particular, of the CompTIA certifications, is quite tough.

    When you consider that the book that many people consider the A+
    bible, the Mike Meyers book, is well over 1000 pages...that is a lot
    of material to cover, and it is mostly just hardware, isn't it?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 25, 2005
  12. Tom MacIntyre wrote:

    > I wonder what the pass rate is for the various IT certifications. That
    > would be one way to see if the MS, etc., certifications are really
    > that much more difficult, or important. I have heard that Security+ in
    > particular, of the CompTIA certifications, is quite tough.

    unfortunately, Microsoft certifications are all to common, and most
    hiring firms/HR look for the MCSE when it is not needed ie help desk. I
    have seen almost 10 help desk positions posted this month that require
    the MCSE.

    The last i heard cisco was the hardest. something like an 80% fail rate
    for first time takers, 60% for second time test takers (CCNA exam), and
    like 1% pass rate for CCIE exams, but it has been a while since i
    actually examined the stats, and they are hard to find.

    I look at it like this, if you want to work in network security you need
    to get security certs like CISSP, CISA, CCSA/CCSE, security+, CEH,
    etc... if you want to do network admin you get the
    microsoft/novell/linux/unix certs etc.. they need to be taken so they
    compliment your experience and/or desired job field.

    effectively certifications are a tool to get you an interview

    > When you consider that the book that many people consider the A+
    > bible, the Mike Meyers book, is well over 1000 pages...that is a lot
    > of material to cover, and it is mostly just hardware, isn't it?
    >
    > Tom

    I have not read the mike myers book, but i would assume that is is
    mainly hardware but you have to have the OS portion to go along with it.
    All in all the A+ is rather easy. The A+ really is an entry level
    certification, a gateway into the IT world. You have to remember that
    most of the books written on certifications are geared towards the new
    comer with no experience, so there is a lot of information.

    It is that in my experience the A+ and Network+ are virtually
    meaningless for career advancement/job hunting, but the can help you get
    started on an IT career in some entry level position which is a good
    thing. They are a nice base to begin a career.

    Eric Eastridge, Jun 25, 2005