    in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his documents.

    Anyone seen this before?

    Rider

    Rider, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Rider wrote:
    > One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
    > which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
    > details about who created it.

    > Anyone seen this before?

    what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
    interesting?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
    >> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
    >> details about who created it.

    >> Anyone seen this before?

    > what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
    > interesting?

    I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
    knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

    I was hoping it was an Office 2003 thing. But as I havent used Off 2003 I
    wasnt sure.

    Seeing as its only in some directories where he stores Word files, and not
    all directories that he uses to store his quotes and letters .... I was
    thinking it might be a tracking file. He said he's deleted them previously
    and they just reappear.

    Rider, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Rider

    Alan Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in
    message news:QiBJd.11614$...

    > One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
    > directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
    > extension, and no details about who created it.
    >
    > I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
    > a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
    > documents.
    >
    > Anyone seen this before?
    >
    > Rider

    Hi Rider,

    Have a look at this from MS:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830921

    HTH,

    Alan.

    Alan, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Rider wrote:
    >>what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
    >>interesting?

    > I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
    > knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

    well I use O2k3 here at work and used to use it at home too, and havent
    seen it, not saying it's not an O2k3 thing, but yeah...

    what size is it?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" <> wrote in
    > message news:QiBJd.11614$...
    >>
    >> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
    >> directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
    >> extension, and no details about who created it.
    >>
    >> I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
    >> a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
    >> documents.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen this before?
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Hi Rider,
    >
    > Have a look at this from MS:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830921
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Alan.

    Cheers, I had seen this ... might try it to see if it works.

    Rider

    Rider, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Rider

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <epBJd.11615$>,
    says...

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > > Rider wrote:
    > >> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
    > >> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
    > >> details about who created it.

    > >> Anyone seen this before?

    > > what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
    > > interesting?

    > I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
    > knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

    No harm in opening it in a text editor.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Rider

    Axle Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
    > which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
    > details about who created it.
    >
    > I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just a stab
    > in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his documents.
    >
    > Anyone seen this before?
    >
    > Rider

    Maybe this

    Axle, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
    > directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
    > extension, and no details about who created it.
    >
    > I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
    > a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
    > documents.
    >
    > Anyone seen this before?

    I thought everybody knew about this. It's Outlook Express playing up,
    dumping it's address book backup files in the wrong place with the wrong
    name (~) and was caused by applying a patch or Hotfix. There's nothing you
    can do about it either, unless one of the MS boys have fixed it. About all
    you can do is manually back up your address book and delete the '~' when you
    find it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2005
  10. T-Boy said the following on 26/01/2005 4:02 p.m.:
    > In article <epBJd.11615$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>>what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
    >>>interesting?

    >>I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
    >>knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

    > No harm in opening it in a text editor.

    Yeah Notepad must be one of the least compromised of MS Programs

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
    Geniuses remove it

    Collector»NZ, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Rider

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:15:43 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
    >which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
    >details about who created it.
    >
    >I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just a stab
    >in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his documents.
    >
    >Anyone seen this before?

    This it?

    http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Enkidu, Jan 27, 2005